When should I do the LNAT? Watch

Kerry_x
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I am hoping to study Law at Uni in 2011, and some of the uni's I'm looking at require you to take the LNAT.
Has anyone already done the LNAT or going to do it, and what time would you recommend to be the best time to take it?
Also, is it hard? I'm not really sure what to expect.

Thankyou
Javindo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
www.lnat.ac.uk - you take it in September of the year you are applying and they send the results to your university in around January (2011).

I will be doing it in September for 2011 entry as well

(There are past papers on the site)
jjarvis
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Kerry_x)
I am hoping to study Law at Uni in 2011, and some of the uni's I'm looking at require you to take the LNAT.
Has anyone already done the LNAT or going to do it, and what time would you recommend to be the best time to take it?
Also, is it hard? I'm not really sure what to expect.

Thankyou
You don't actually have to take it in September, contrary to what someone above said. You do have to take it by a specific date. If you are not applying to Oxford, you must take the LNAT by around January. If you are applying to Oxford, you usually have to take the LNAT by the end of October. At this point, the LNAT website has no information on test dates for 2011 admission, so you needn't worry for the time being.

I would suggest you study for the LNAT and do some practise exams over the summer, after you have finished your exams. Wait until you finish your AS level exams before thinking about the LNAT. Then, if you study over the summer and do well on some practise exams, you can take the test early and forget about it. If you don't do well on the practise exams, you will have a lot of time to get better before the January deadline (October if you're applying at Oxford). Remember you only have one chance to take the actual exam, and won't get your score until January 31st.

The LNAT website has a few practise tests. I didn't find the actual test particularly taxing when I took last October; some people do. You do have to pay a lot of attention to detail, but if you do the practise exams you should get a feel for the kind of questions they ask.

What LNAT unis are you applying to, and what unis are you considering more generally?
Kerry_x
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by jjarvis)
You don't actually have to take it in September, contrary to what someone above said. You do have to take it by a specific date. If you are not applying to Oxford, you must take the LNAT by around January. If you are applying to Oxford, you usually have to take the LNAT by the end of October. At this point, the LNAT website has no information on test dates for 2011 admission, so you needn't worry for the time being.

I would suggest you study for the LNAT and do some practise exams over the summer, after you have finished your exams. Wait until you finish your AS level exams before thinking about the LNAT. Then, if you study over the summer and do well on some practise exams, you can take the test early and forget about it. If you don't do well on the practise exams, you will have a lot of time to get better before the January deadline (October if you're applying at Oxford). Remember you only have one chance to take the actual exam, and won't get your score until January 31st.

The LNAT website has a few practise tests. I didn't find the actual test particularly taxing when I took last October; some people do. You do have to pay a lot of attention to detail, but if you do the practise exams you should get a feel for the kind of questions they ask.

What LNAT unis are you applying to, and what unis are you considering more generally?
Thankyou
erm, I can't remember which of the uni's required the LNAT, but I'm currently looking at 7, and then have to decide which 5 I want to apply to. I'm looking at Nottingham, Sussex, Kent, Surrey, Birmingham, Bristol, and Warwick
hassom
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The Universities currently using the Lnat are:

* University of Birmingham
* University of Bristol
* Durham University
* NUI Maynooth (mature entry only)
* University of Glasgow
* King's College London
* University of Leeds
* University of Nottingham
* University of Oxford
* University College London
Confused-teen
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jjarvis)
(October if you're applying at Oxford). Remember you only have one chance to take the actual exam, and won't get your score until January 31st.

Hey just wanted to know if its possible to enter your ucas application for the tope uni's like oxford in october (their deadline) and then do your LNAT in november?
AllThatPower
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
For Oxbridge you need to have sat the LNAT by mid October.
jjarvis
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by AllThatPower)
For Oxbridge you need to have sat the LNAT by mid October.
To apply to Oxford, you must register for the LNAT by 15 October, and sit it by 1 November. You don't need to take the LNAT to apply at Cambridge.

(Original post by Confused-teen)
Hey just wanted to know if its possible to enter your ucas application for the tope uni's like oxford in october (their deadline) and then do your LNAT in november?
The deadline for Oxford is as follows:

Deadlines if you are applying to Oxford (Oxford will not consider later applications):
Register and book an LNAT test slot by 15 October 2010
Submit UCAS form by 15 October 2010
Sit the LNAT by 1 November 2010 at the very latest
If you wish to apply at Oxford, you must sit the LNAT by November 1. If you apply at Cambridge (which does not require the LNAT), and at LNAT universities, you must submit your UCAS form by 15 October, but have until 20 January to sit the LNAT.

It's also worth noting that you can choose your other unis up till 15 January--but you can't change your application form once you've submitted it for the Oxford or Cambridge deadline.
Stan291
Report 8 years ago
So just to clarify- non oxford applicants can sit the LNAt before 20th January. This will not be too late.

Don't offers sometimes come out before then?

Does Cambridge not even look at LNAT results?
mc13177
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Stan291)
So just to clarify- non oxford applicants can sit the LNAt before 20th January. This will not be too late.

Don't offers sometimes come out before then?

Does Cambridge not even look at LNAT results?
1. Yes

2. Yes

3. No- They do not require you to sit the LNAT.
Annemn
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mc13177)
1. Yes

2. Yes

3. No- They do not require you to sit the LNAT.
Hello! Do you know if it will be too late if I register to do it in January? Has anyone done it?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (141)
46.08%
Pro-humanity (165)
53.92%