M1 help June 2005 Paper Watch

markwilliams_hello
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi, I have a problem on the M1 June 2005 Paper: http://www.nicholasbreakspearschool....ents/mm105.doc

"Figure 4 shows a lorry of mass 1600 kg towing a car of mass 900 kg along a straight horizontal road. The two vehicles are joined by a light towbar which is at an angle of 15degrees to the road. The lorry and the car experience constant resistances to motion of magnitude 600 N and 300 N respectively. The lorry’s engine produces a constant horizontal force on the lorry of magnitude 1500 N.

(d) State whether, when the towbar breaks, the normal reaction of the road on the car is increased, decreased or remains constant. Give a reason for your answer.

I thought the normal reaction would decrease because the vertical component of the tension would be removed however the mark scheme states that the normal reaction would increase?

Why is this?

Thanks
gudluck2624
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by markwilliams_hello)
Hi, I have a problem on the M1 June 2005 Paper: http://www.nicholasbreakspearschool....ents/mm105.doc

"Figure 4 shows a lorry of mass 1600 kg towing a car of mass 900 kg along a straight horizontal road. The two vehicles are joined by a light towbar which is at an angle of 15degrees to the road. The lorry and the car experience constant resistances to motion of magnitude 600 N and 300 N respectively. The lorry’s engine produces a constant horizontal force on the lorry of magnitude 1500 N.

(d) State whether, when the towbar breaks, the normal reaction of the road on the car is increased, decreased or remains constant. Give a reason for your answer.

I thought the normal reaction would decrease because the vertical component of the tension would be removed however the mark scheme states that the normal reaction would increase?

Why is this?

Thanks
before R1=mg-Tsinq
now R2= mg because vertical component of t is removed......
(mg > mg + Tsinq) R2 > R1 so the normal reaction of the road will increase
hope that helps
if need help quote me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1129)
79.01%
Leave (300)
20.99%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed