GCSE English Literature-URGENT Essay help Watch

Junaid16
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I know this is a big ask. But, Could Someone please Give me a rough estimate of what grade this essay would be because i have my English Lit exam on Tuesday and am not really sure where i am currently at.

Look at the role of Candy, Crooks and Curley's wife in the novel .

The characters of Candy, Crooks and Curley's wife possess significant roles in 'Of Mice and Men'. Also, there misfit status enables the reader to become aware of the diversity, which was present on the ranch and more importantly in the American society.

Firstly, we instantly adopt a negative attitude towards Crooks, as the name 'Crooks' has several negative connotations attached to it. This suggests that Crooks has been perceived as and labeled a crook, by those in a racially prejudice society, purely because of the color of his skin. This highlights the racial barrier, which Crooks was unable to overcome, as he found himself in an unwelcoming ranch where he was limited to life as a stable buck.Also, he found himself in an unjust society, which was simply tolerating him and his companions , rather than embracing them. Essentially, Crooks's role in the novel was to expose the frailties in an unfair society, where ethnic minorities were seen as being inferior to their white counterparts. This resulted in people like Crooks being isolated from there peers and left facing years of hardship and loneliness.

Secondly, Candy's loneliness is shown, when he reluctantly tells Carlson to 'take im'. Candy embodies the domineering theme of loneliness throughout the novel. Candy's reluctance to part with his dog shows that it was more than a pet to him. It was his sole source of companionship and enabled him to feel needed, rather than redundant, which was how he began to feel after his dog's death. This resulted in him trying to cling onto George and Lennie's dream to starve of loneliness, however this short period of hope came to a abrupt end.
This suggests that when human companionship is unavailable, we will seek it from any source possible to starve of the dreaded loneliness and that is exactly what Candy did. Vitally, the character of Candy empathizes that despite, his failings he is still a human being and should not be cast aside , as he is worthy of our compassion.

Moreover, Curley's wife is described as having 'red fingernails'. This hints towards an unhappy ending, as the connotations behind the phrase 'red' are generally danger and violence. This suggests that Curley's wife possess some threatening characteristics. This enhances the possibility of Curley's wife being detrimental to the welbeing of George and Lennie. Also, the close attention paid to detail regarding her physical appearance paints woman in a negative light. As, it suggests that Curley's wife is an idle individual who is able to obsess over her physical appearance , in order to gain the attention that she desired from the ranch hands. This shows that Curley's wife is utterly alone and her only asset is her subjective beauty which she tries to exploit, but to no avail. Also, Curley's wife's 'red mules' and 'red fingernails' inadvertently links to the wave of communism , which was engulfing America during the 1930's. Red was often linked with communism , therefore Curley's wife's association with the colour suggests that she was a victim of the class-driven American society. Additionally, her gender appears to be the reasoning behind her being unable to achieve her dream of being in 'movies'. This was what communism was trying to change, as it attempted to break down the social barriers. Curley's wife and Candy are symbolic of those , whose dreams are stifled due to social constraints, which they have no control over .

To Conclude, Crooks , Candy and Curley's wife all hold vital roles in 'Of Mice and Men' and are key components for the success of the novel and the delivery of the wider and moral messages of the book. However, personally i feel that Crooks holds the most significant role in the novel. He highlights an issue , which is not only evident in the past but the present, as racism is still very much alive in 2010. This implies that maybe society has not improved since the 1930's.
Junaid16
Rep:
?
anybody?
Duckzilla
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Junaid16)
anybody?
You need to write more than that. The first paragraph isn't needed, as you are just rephrasing the question, which is a waste of time and gains you no marks. '1930's' should not have an apostrophe, and you should be writing out the dates such as this in words, not in number form, as this is an English exam. You have also use the wrong 'there' in the first paragraph, it should be 'their'.
Junaid16
Rep:
?
(Original post by Duckzilla)
You need to write more than that. The first paragraph isn't needed, as you are just rephrasing the question, which is a waste of time and gains you no marks. '1930's' should not have an apostrophe, and you should be writing out the dates such as this in words, not in number form, as this is an English exam. You have also use the wrong 'there' in the first paragraph, it should be 'their'.
That would have been 3 sides in a exam though? and i have never been told that you have to write dates in word form and don't you need a intro.
Duckzilla
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Junaid16)
That would have been 3 sides in a exam though? and i have never been told that you have to write dates in word form and don't you need a intro.
You need an into, just not the one you used, you were basically just rephrasing the question. You should always write dates in word form because otherwise is is seen as colloquial (chatty style), because you are taking short cuts in the way you write it.
Junaid16
Rep:
?
You need an into, just not the one you used, you were basically just rephrasing the question. You should always write dates in word form because otherwise is is seen as colloquial (chatty style), because you are taking short cuts in the way you write it.
huh so what is an introduction meant to contain?
Best Superlative
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I disagree with your first statement; it's always best to eschew intros in exams. Coursework yes, exams no.

Unfortunately you don't get a lot of marks in an English exam for writing well (AO1 usually comes naturally anyway), but you get marks for hitting certain points like using quotes, analysing language, providing context, applying criticisms (Marxism and Feminism are the two easiest/popular ones).

Aside from the grammatical mistakes that this guy ^ pointed out, it's not that bad. Your points needs a LOT more development however and I would recommend using quotes or contextual information to back up your argument more. Your 4th paragraph does this really well though.
Duckzilla
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Best Superlative)
I disagree with your first statement; it's always best to eschew intros in exams. Coursework yes, exams no.
My English teacher (who is like the God of English) says not to do it, along with my headmaster who was also my English teacher for a while.
Oasis Jnr
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
how could you include different interprettions in of mice and men quotes
Best Superlative
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
My English teacher (who is like the God of English) says not to do it, along with my headmaster who was also my English teacher for a while.
So why did you tell him to write an intro if both your teachers told you not to? o_O
Duckzilla
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Best Superlative)
So why did you tell him to write an intro if both your teachers told you not to? o_O
They said to write an into, but not rephrase the question, like the first sentence of the OP's intro.
Chunkycrayons
Report 8 years ago
This would be a B/A grade. There are still some of the criteria you're not hitting.
Check back to your markscheme and highlight where you have done all the things needed of you to gain the higher marks.
Junaid16
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chunkycrayons)
This would be a B/A grade. There are still some of the criteria you're not hitting.
Check back to your markscheme and highlight where you have done all the things needed of you to gain the higher marks.
could you possibly tell me what i am missing, because the mark scheme is quite vague, thanks
Chunkycrayons
Report 8 years ago
Sure, i agree with you the mark scheme is somewhat baffling!

You need to focus on symbolism a GREAT DEAL more,--this is where the marks are-- especially with Of mice and Men, the more quotes you can embed into the sentences the better.

Some people say point example explain. But i really think that is what the C grade candidates do.

You need to say what effect everything has on the reader. So when you talk about Curly's wife and you see she has red fingernails, what does this make you think? If it doesn't make you think anything, then make something up

If you can try to think of alternative interpretations. Don't go for simply the ones that your teacher has given you.

Remember, with english the idea to get good marks is to stand out. If what they read of yours is the same as what they have read from everyone else, it won't score highly.

It is know that to get the top marks in Eng lit, you need to have a degree in conceptionalised ******** haha! Good luck, hope this helps! PM me if you need anything else
SamKar
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Like a B at best
Crooks is called crooks because he has a crooked back not because of his skin colour
Needs to be much longer
Chunkycrayons
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by SamKar)
Crooks is called crooks because he has a crooked back not because of his skin colour
Needs to be much longer
No actually the name crooks has many connotations and it is these differences which split the A*/A and the B candidates.

The word "crooks" in itself means a broken man as well.
SamKar
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
To be honest I said he was helpless due to the fact that he will never escape the racsim he faces due to prejudice being deeply embedded in american society. He hopes that he will be treated equally one day as he carries the Civil Code of California but in reality he can't, further shown when Curley's wife racially abuses him
Junaid16
Rep:
?
(Original post by SamKar)
Like a B at best
Needs to be much longer
That was MY own personal interpretation, Steinbeck has never said that Crooks name stems from his broken back , or has he?
defuzion
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(may or may not be intentional) but learn how to use commas appropriately
Best Superlative
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
They said to write an into, but not rephrase the question, like the first sentence of the OP's intro.
Oh, my mistake. I had a lapse of understand there >_>

I still disagree however. In a general sense, I think it's good to have an introduction as a precursor to your argument because it makes your essay stronger overall, but I was always told to avoid writing them in exams. Mine usually end up coming out as waffle when I'm writing during the exams anyway, which is the reason why I think some people tell you to avoid them and instead focus on hitting the AOs with PQE, analysis of language, symbolism and context explosion o.o
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (50)
45.45%
Pro-humanity (60)
54.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise