i mean its gonna be hard
like how would you structure it?
:woo:
JamJes
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You are supposed to do your intro outlining the main themes within the poems. Then compare 2 poems together in a paragraph or two then the other two poems (sometimes linking with the ideas of the first two poems) and bring it all together in the conclusion. You aren't supposed to try to compare all 4 all together.
Tainted
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by hemant1)
how would you compare 4 poems in a hour
i mean its gonna be hard
like how would you structure it?
:woo:
I did that for our only mock exam for Lit, I think I got 29/36 which is an A having not done one of the poems. I did not structure it any particular way, but now Iv been told how to. The named poems or their writers are the ones you write about the most. The ones you choose, write about them the least but obviously sufficiently. Aim for 3+ pages.
hemant1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
one more thing aqa tend to give you one poem to write about which section is it usually from :
simon armitage,
carol ann duffy
or the pre 1914
Oasis Jnr
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
either duffy or armitage and for the 4 poems, do 2 and 2 together and then bring a conclusion
Leeshur
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Tainted)
I did that for our only mock exam for Lit, I think I got 29/36 which is an A having not done one of the poems. I did not structure it any particular way, but now Iv been told how to. The named poems or their writers are the ones you write about the most. The ones you choose, write about them the least but obviously sufficiently. Aim for 3+ pages.
I slightly disagree with this. In general, it's quality not quantity - 3 pages seems excessive (unless your handwriting is large).
You should be able to fully explore the poems and make sure there's enough analytical comparison between them to pull you up to the A*.
Tainted
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Leeshur)
I slightly disagree with this. In general, it's quality not quantity - 3 pages seems excessive (unless your handwriting is large).
You should be able to fully explore the poems and make sure there's enough analytical comparison between them to pull you up to the A*.
Well you are comparing 4 poems. When you compare 2, roughly comes to 1 and a half pages.. or more. But I agree, it is quality not quantity. When I chose to do the 4 poems in the mock, I asked the head of English who said about 3 pages would be sufficient.
Edwin Okli
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't think I would ever be able to write 3 pages in an hour.
Bearing in mind that my handwriting is probably smaller than average I have found it sufficient to write about 2 and if I even manage to get onto a third it's celebrated.

What I definitely wouldn't do would be try to write 4 different paragraphs comparing all 4 poems for separate things at a time. When you see the theme, some poems should probably instantly come to mind. Choose the obvious ones, otherwise you'll probably run out of things to say and end up analysing an irrelevant rhyming scheme. The easiest way to make links between two poems is to see which themes they combine, ie. the one in the question and another and to why. Then go onto the whole language analysis, linguistic techniques, structure and form, effect on the reader, writers' intentions business.

Ohh and tie all the poems together in a summary at the end, otherwise, doesn't compare them all at one time.
Threepigs
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Tainted)
Well you are comparing 4 poems. When you compare 2, roughly comes to 1 and a half pages.. or more. But I agree, it is quality not quantity. When I chose to do the 4 poems in the mock, I asked the head of English who said about 3 pages would be sufficient.
THREE PAGES?! on average I only do two pages, and that's back and front. I don't understand how people are capable of completing three full pages unless you're not doing both sides.

When doing past papers I usually structure mine like this:

Intro: Quick intro about theme and how they relate to all four poems.
First Paragraph: Two poems on language devices.
Second Paragraph: Two poems on structure (not necessarily the layout but other things such as rhyming pattern or how the poem progresses)
Third Paragraph: Ideas and feelings of two poems in relations to the theme.
Conclusion: Which poem you liked best.

And finally to get the A*, ALWAYS offer an alternative response and a conceptualised answer. For example...

In Catrin the red rope of love represents the umbilical cord and the relationship between mother and daughter, however (alternative response) the 'red' could also be seen as emblematic of the dysfunctional aspect of such relationships since the connotations of red include danger and blood. <<LOL

GOOD LUCK I also have my exam on tuesday:woo: :woo: .
Tainted
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Threepigs)
THREE PAGES?! on average I only do two pages, and that's back and front. I don't understand how people are capable of completing three full pages unless you're not doing both sides.

When doing past papers I usually structure mine like this:

Intro: Quick intro about theme and how they relate to all four poems.
First Paragraph: Two poems on language devices.
Second Paragraph: Two poems on structure (not necessarily the layout but other things such as rhyming pattern or how the poem progresses)
Third Paragraph: Ideas and feelings of two poems in relations to the theme.
Conclusion: Which poem you liked best.

And finally to get the A*, ALWAYS offer an alternative response and a conceptualised answer. For example...

In Catrin the red rope of love represents the umbilical cord and the relationship between mother and daughter, however (alternative response) the 'red' could also be seen as emblematic of the dysfunctional aspect of such relationships since the connotations of red include danger and blood. <<LOL

GOOD LUCK I also have my exam on tuesday:woo: :woo: .
Sorry I didnt mean 3 full pages as in 3 sides...my BAD!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    School of Education Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1618)
79.12%
Leave (427)
20.88%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise