First time booking a flight! need help please :) Watch

konthedon
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi,

Im looking to book a a holiday online from emirates airlines. To keep it short this is my first time booking and dealing with flight stuff myself so just a few questions:

When using their search function they say its the total price including return airfare, taxes and fees. So there are absolutely no more travel costs involved?

After I purchase the tickets online, what happens next? inc. check in etc im a bit confused

Also, is it cheaper to book it as early as possible? because ive been checking the tickets now and then and the prices keep changing ...

Thanks!
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You might have to pay to check in a bag. But usually with reputable airlines it's free for international flights up to a certain weight.

Depending on airline, they will probably send you an email with further instructions. Most times I've flew I've had to print out the email or check in online 24hours before and print out an e-ticket which you then take to the airport.

Yes it is definitely cheaper earlier. A lot of flights go up by a large amount during the summer.
Shadowman786
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by konthedon)
Hi,

Im looking to book a a holiday online from emirates airlines. To keep it short this is my first time booking and dealing with flight stuff myself so just a few questions:

When using their search function they say its the total price including return airfare, taxes and fees. So there are absolutely no more travel costs involved?

After I purchase the tickets online, what happens next? inc. check in etc im a bit confused

Also, is it cheaper to book it as early as possible? because ive been checking the tickets now and then and the prices keep changing ...

Thanks!
There are no extra charges (not with emirates). When you're booking the ticket, it will let you know how much your luggage can weigh (should be 20-30kg depending on airline and also one hand luggage).

Once you've purchased the tickets, you will get a confirmation email with your e-ticket and itinerary. Print out the e-ticket, which you use to check-in at the airport (or you can also check in up to 24 hrs earlier than your flight, over the net - you will still need to show your passport at check-in desk and do your luggage, but it's faster than waiting in the queues)

As for price fluctuations...it's really hit and miss. Depends whether it's popular or not. Generally, if you find a good price and you think it's worth it, then go for it. I went to NY last year in April and booked my tickets in February. When I first checked the prices, they were £290...I procrastinated for a week because I wasn't entirely sure I was able to go...when I was sure, the ticket price had gone up to £390!!!
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Check out skyscanner, it always gives the cheapest flights, especially if you're willing to travel a bit further to your departure airport.
geetar
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It sounds obvious, but make sure you input all your details correctly, because airlines often charge massive amounts of money to correct things like spelling mistakes.
konthedon
thanks for the responses! Qatar airlines seems to be offering the cheapest prices and then Emirates .. judging by the cover Emirates looks more reliable, but anyone have any suggestions out of these two?
Shadowman786
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Qatar airlines is one of the world's best airlines (joint top with 5 others)

http://www.airlinequality.com/StarRanking/5star.htm
konthedon
Has anyone booked from the links from skyscanner.net? the flight prices and flexibility differ (is cheaper and more flexible) from when i search the actual Qatar airways site...
*absinthe*
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Has anyone booked from the links from skyscanner.net? the flight prices and flexibility differ (is cheaper and more flexible) from when i search the actual Qatar airways site...
This is mostly the case all the time try opodo.com i just booked a flight about 2 days ago with DialAFlight for £815 and it was over £1000 with the airline themselves.
konthedon
(Original post by *absinthe*)
This is mostly the case all the time try opodo.com i just booked a flight about 2 days ago with DialAFlight for £815 and it was over £1000 with the airline themselves.
Yeh but the weird thing is that from skyscanner it links me to the actual qatar airways website with a very flexible and cheap flight that i can actually book....but i cant find this particluar flight when running my own search
*absinthe*
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yeh but the weird thing is that from skyscanner it links me to the actual qatar airways website with a very flexible and cheap flight that i can actually book....but i cant find this particluar flight when running my own search
i'm not sure then maybe they have a special offer on.
dsinghdahiya257
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hi,

Thanks!
Usually top airlines like Emirates don't have any extra costs e.g Ryanair's infamous toilet charge :mad:

Once you complete the payment, you will be emailed your e-ticket which you can print off now or closer towards the journey.

Next you can either do an online check-in (24 hours before flight departure) or just check-in at the airport.

If you check-in online you can usually choose your seat before those who don't, also you will be able to print off your boarding card. This process usually saves alot of time spent in queues at the check-in counter.

Generally there is a direct relation with date of purchase and ticket cost.
The closer it gets to the flight date, the more expensive the ticket cost, but it can vary on other factors such as popularity and the time of year

Hope this helps and Good Luck! :p:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (56)
19.31%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (117)
40.34%
Nope, not that interesting (117)
40.34%

Watched Threads