Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm really worried that I won't get into my firm choice, to do the degree that I applied for, as I'm worried that I'll miss my offer by small margin.

Any thoughts?

• PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It depends on the uni, course, your grades and how many other people made their offers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaya_01)
    I'm really worried that I won't get into my firm choice, to do the degree that I applied for, as I'm worried that I'll miss my offer by small margin.

Any thoughts?

It would help if you told us which course at which university is your firm choice. Present students on that course/at that university might know more than just talking in general.

ReputationRep:
    When it was results day for my year, one of my friends missed his offer by three grades and still was accepted.

Another missed his by two UMS marks and was rejected.

It depends on the course and the university.

ReputationRep:
    i missed my offer by ONE ums mark and they still said no!

ReputationRep:
    Missed my offer by 5 UMS marks and was rejected.
    My friend missed his offer by two whole grades and was accepted instantly.

ReputationRep:
    It depends.
    But this year we've been told that they are unlikely to be lenient at all, even if you miss out by a mark, due to the huge surge in applicants and crackdown on university funding.
    Obviously it depends on courses but don't miss your offer. Just don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by __natalie__)
    i missed my offer by ONE ums mark and they still said no!

snap! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to the University of Reading, for Maths Bsc. They want 320 UCAS points with a B in maths.

Im worried I might miss that offer by 20 points.
    I've made them my firm - does that help at all? Are they more leniant towards applicants who hold them as their firm choice?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    My twin has applied to Nottingham Trent University for BA Hons Joint Honours German, and has been offered 280 points and is worried he'll only get 260. What are his chances??
    I am already at NTU doing BA Hons Joint Honours French, and I got offered 220 last year but got 280.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BenjiDeane)
    My twin has applied to Nottingham Trent University for BA Hons Joint Honours German, and has been offered 280 points and is worried he'll only get 260. What are his chances??
    I am already at NTU doing BA Hons Joint Honours French, and I got offered 220 last year but got 280.
    Last year, German joint with:

Film and TV
    Global Studies
    Media
    English
    European Studies
    Mandarin
    Philosophy

All went into clearing, as did single German. If he's picked any of these then he may be in luck.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Craig_D)
    Last year, German joint with:

Film and TV
    Global Studies
    Media
    English
    European Studies
    Mandarin
    Philosophy

All went into clearing, as did single German. If he's picked any of these then he may be in luck.
    I think he is going to choose European Studies. Not sure though.
    Media at Trent went to clearing? I'm surprised!! I know a lot of people here on that course.

ReputationRep:
    I think he is going to choose European Studies. Not sure though.
    Media at Trent went to clearing? I'm surprised!! I know a lot of people here on that course.
    Well, German with media :p: Not sure about regular media *looks up* ... Yep, the regular one did too.

That's good then, looks like he is in with a good chance either way!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Well, German with media :p: Not sure about regular media *looks up* ... Yep, the regular one did too.

That's good then, looks like he is in with a good chance either way!
    Nice one, thanks for the info pal!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaya_01)
    I've applied to the University of Reading, for Maths Bsc. They want 320 UCAS points with a B in maths.

Im worried I might miss that offer by 20 points.
    I've made them my firm - does that help at all? Are they more leniant towards applicants who hold them as their firm choice?
    Having scanned the entire UCAS clearing catalogue that I picked up last year I haven't yet seen a single Reading course in clearing, including maths. Don't necessarily fret as I don't know what this means, it may well indicate that they oversubscribe the course and don't accept those who fall short but it's equally likely that they intentionally fail to list themselves because they give the students who originally applied to their course the first pickings - and then list the remaining places on the UCAS clearing site later, which I know Nottingham has done in the past.

I can tell you that Maths (G100) went into clearing at such good English universities as:
    Aston, Birmingham, Bath (certain other Maths courses), Exeter (again, certain Maths ones), Greenwich (low reputation but 29th for maths), Heriot-Watt, Keele, Kent, Liverpool, Sheffield Hallam (may be a poly, but ranked 35th), Surrey and Sussex.

Given that last year the scramble through clearing was like D-Day it is frankly staggering that the University of Birmingham went into clearing for a course so mainstream as Maths, as well at Keele (which is ranked 6th for maths), so you may be lucky.

ReputationRep:
    Nice one, thanks for the info pal!
    You're welcome

ReputationRep:
    If you have a spare moment at some point, could you possibly flick through your Clearing catalogue and see whether any English or English Joint Honours courses went into clearing at Exeter - but at the Cornwall Campus (it's to that which I've applied) only - please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freija)
    If you have a spare moment at some point, could you possibly flick through your Clearing catalogue and see whether any English or English Joint Honours courses went into clearing at Exeter - but at the Cornwall Campus (it's to that which I've applied) only - please?
    Certainly

There was no single English, but there was English with Geography, which I just looked up online and found that it is indeed held at the Cornwall campus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freija)
    Also, your insurance did.

Any others just ask

ReputationRep:
    Am I right in thinking that Met Uni's are more leniant in terms of grades? I need BCC, but i'm worried I could end up with BCD

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 14, 2014
Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.