The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

How flexible do Universities tend to be if you miss your offer by a small margin?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Pinkaddiction23
Am I right in thinking that Met Uni's are more leniant in terms of grades? I need BCC, but i'm worried I could end up with BCD :frown:

You are indeed :smile: I can't find it on the clearing list though :s-smilie: Even still, one grade down is very reasonable and you have a good chance.
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 21
Craig_D
Also, your insurance did.

Any others just ask :smile:

Oh, thank you! :smile:

Do you think it would be mad, though, to try to go for half a degree in Geography when I've not studied it since GCSE? If I were to miss my offer for English, I mean.
Reply 22
My offer for Manchester was AAB, with an A in chemistry, but I got ABC (the C in chemistry) and still got in. I didn't even have to wait around, they told me at like 8am on results day. Apparently lots of people missed their grades though that year for my course so it came down to individual applications for who they still accepted.

My friend on the other hand was rejected from UEA on results day for English because her offer was BBB, and she got ABC (with an A in English!). Despite being the same amount of points, everyone else met their offers and they were contractually obliged to offer them places and there was no space for her :frown: It's a numbers game really.
I was wondering about this too.. Does anybody know whether the Universities of Southampton/Manchester are flexible about grades?
I would like to study Contemporary European Studies (AAB)/European Studies(AAB-ABC) at one of these universities.
I have written to Soton and they are asking for grade A in all my subjects plus A* in the languages I want to study. I know I will miss that in Corporate law :frown: I hate that subject :s-smilie:
Will that be a problem?
.Scout.
Missed my offer by 5 UMS marks and was rejected.
My friend missed his offer by two whole grades and was accepted instantly.

Yeah but what uni/ course did you apply to
and what did he apply to?
Reply 25
mumitroldeN
I was wondering about this too.. Does anybody know whether the Universities of Southampton/Manchester are flexible about grades?
I would like to study Contemporary European Studies (AAB)/European Studies(AAB-ABC) at one of these universities.
I have written to Soton and they are asking for grade A in all my subjects plus A* in the languages I want to study. I know I will miss that in Corporate law :frown: I hate that subject :s-smilie:
Will that be a problem?

I was rejected by Southamton last year even though i missed my offer by 5 UMS marks :frown:. This was for English Literature and French.
I rang them up and they said that they weren't able to take anyone who missed their offer, even narrowly, due to the number of applicants.
Sorry for worrying you!
Reply 26
Craig_D
Having scanned the entire UCAS clearing catalogue that I picked up last year I haven't yet seen a single Reading course in clearing, including maths. Don't necessarily fret as I don't know what this means, it may well indicate that they oversubscribe the course and don't accept those who fall short but it's equally likely that they intentionally fail to list themselves because they give the students who originally applied to their course the first pickings - and then list the remaining places on the UCAS clearing site later, which I know Nottingham has done in the past.

I can tell you that Maths (G100) went into clearing at such good English universities as:
Aston, Birmingham, Bath (certain other Maths courses), Exeter (again, certain Maths ones), Greenwich (low reputation but 29th for maths), Heriot-Watt, Keele, Kent, Liverpool, Sheffield Hallam (may be a poly, but ranked 35th), Surrey and Sussex.

Given that last year the scramble through clearing was like D-Day it is frankly staggering that the University of Birmingham went into clearing for a course so mainstream as Maths, as well at Keele (which is ranked 6th for maths), so you may be lucky.

Thanks! That helped alot :smile:
Also, does the fact that you make that uni your firm choice affect your chances of getting in if you miss your offer?

And where did you get your clearing catalogue from?
Reply 27
Kaya_01
Thanks! That helped alot :smile:
Also, does the fact that you make that uni your firm choice affect your chances of getting in if you miss your offer?

And where did you get your clearing catalogue from?

You're welcome :smile:

Technically, no, but I think it's safe to say that all unis give a bit of a preference to the students who shown interest in them all along, and not the people who just shown an interest once the clearing list came through, so that will very likely work in your favour.

If you got say, BBC, for a BBB course, rather than give a place to another random person who also got BBC, preference would definitely go to you first by some margin because of your certainty in that university, the people who changed their mind may change it again! As I say that's not the rules as such, but it is tradition.

And on the day your A Level results come out, it's given away free wit the Independent.
Reply 28
freija
Oh, thank you! :smile:

Do you think it would be mad, though, to try to go for half a degree in Geography when I've not studied it since GCSE? If I were to miss my offer for English, I mean.

Sorry for being hilariously late, I didn't get the quote for some reason :sad:

I'm not sure, it's really all down to the person. If you feel like you have an interest in Geography then perhaps it may be worth it, however if not then perhaps don't risk it. Although I would note that it may be a way of cheating your way into the university, as you are allowed to change courses a few weeks into the year.

I knew someone that started in my archaeology department and then moved off into classics, and others off into history - which required better results, and didn't go into clearing! It was only afterwards that I thought that if you want you can cheat into a course by starting an easier one and then moving across schools. I wouldn't guarantee it if they are way over subscribed but it's worth keeping in mind.

Of course that was last year though, it may not happen again, and it may be your department that's a little more lenient this year :smile:
Reply 29
I got 2 grades below what I needed and was accepted into Reading straight away.
Reply 30
Rinn
I got 2 grades below what I needed and was accepted into Reading straight away.

Oh right - was your course competitive/oversubscribed?
Reply 31
Kaya_01
Oh right - was your course competitive/oversubscribed?

Well Reading is supposed to be one of the best universities for my course, so I assume it was pretty popular =/
Reply 32
Hello everyone, I am getting really worry that I will miss my grade after today's exam for my firm choice - University of Manchester doing Maths with Financial Maths.
My offer is AABa with A in maths and they required Module grade AB in C3 and C4 as well and AS grade A for further maths.
I should be able to get an A in Maths if I haven't done too badly in C3 C4 since I got over 90% in AS Maths. But i afraid I will not get a B in my C4 exam. I almost cry when i came out from my exam today.. :frown:

Anyone know how strongly Manchester look at module grades? Thank you for your time reading this.
Reply 33
Sorry I think I have posted it on a wrong thread. This is for Reading right? Sorry guys
Reply 34
Craig_D
Sorry for being hilariously late, I didn't get the quote for some reason :sad:

I'm not sure, it's really all down to the person. If you feel like you have an interest in Geography then perhaps it may be worth it, however if not then perhaps don't risk it. Although I would note that it may be a way of cheating your way into the university, as you are allowed to change courses a few weeks into the year.

I knew someone that started in my archaeology department and then moved off into classics, and others off into history - which required better results, and didn't go into clearing! It was only afterwards that I thought that if you want you can cheat into a course by starting an easier one and then moving across schools. I wouldn't guarantee it if they are way over subscribed but it's worth keeping in mind.

Of course that was last year though, it may not happen again, and it may be your department that's a little more lenient this year :smile:

Not a problem - I'm even worse! Thank you very, very much for all your advice, though. :smile:

I guess it would be too awkward to ask whether - if you had a minute at some point - you might be able to let me know if there were any decent unis in Clearing for straight English last year; any that stood out on the list? Otherwise - I guess Sussex wasn't, by any chance, was it? I'm sorry to keep bothering you about this - I did look for a copy of the Clearing list myself, but it seems to have been wiped from existence...
Reply 35
freija
Not a problem - I'm even worse! Thank you very, very much for all your advice, though. :smile:

I guess it would be too awkward to ask whether - if you had a minute at some point - you might be able to let me know if there were any decent unis in Clearing for straight English last year; any that stood out on the list? Otherwise - I guess Sussex wasn't, by any chance, was it? I'm sorry to keep bothering you about this - I did look for a copy of the Clearing list myself, but it seems to have been wiped from existence...

I believe what is defined as straight English is Q300? :biggrin: If I'm wrong just correct me, but I think that's right :smile:

Ok, well, Aberystwyth, Bradford, Chester, Essex, Greenwich, Lincoln, Portsmouth, Sheffield Hallam, Sunderland, to name some of the well known or better ones, there are a couple of smaller institutions too, no Sussex though :frown:

Anything else, just let me know. And indeed, these seem to become very hard to get hold of! I had the exact same trouble last year.
Reply 36
Original post by thealpz
My offer was BBB in UK terms ( I'm an international student )
I think I will get CAA but the C is in maths, which is the most important. I will miss the grade by a point or two max.
I will also get a B in Physics.
Do you think Edinburgh will let me in to study CompSci , and if I miss my offer is it better to contact them sooner ( I will have my results in two weeks ) or should I wait for August?

You should wait until august. Universities will need to examine all the offers they made and what each student actually got. If everyone does well, it will lower your chances of getting in with a lower grade. If everyone generally does worse, then you will be more likely to be excepted. The best thing you can do is ring them in august and see if they will still except you or what your other options are. Some universities and courses are more lenient than others. :smile:
Original post by Craig_D
Having scanned the entire UCAS clearing catalogue that I picked up last year I haven't yet seen a single Reading course in clearing, including maths. Don't necessarily fret as I don't know what this means, it may well indicate that they oversubscribe the course and don't accept those who fall short but it's equally likely that they intentionally fail to list themselves because they give the students who originally applied to their course the first pickings - and then list the remaining places on the UCAS clearing site later, which I know Nottingham has done in the past.

I can tell you that Maths (G100) went into clearing at such good English universities as:
Aston, Birmingham, Bath (certain other Maths courses), Exeter (again, certain Maths ones), Greenwich (low reputation but 29th for maths), Heriot-Watt, Keele, Kent, Liverpool, Sheffield Hallam (may be a poly, but ranked 35th), Surrey and Sussex.

Given that last year the scramble through clearing was like D-Day it is frankly staggering that the University of Birmingham went into clearing for a course so mainstream as Maths, as well at Keele (which is ranked 6th for maths), so you may be lucky.

Last week - Phoned Reading re possibly missing grades and phoning them on results day and they said they put all the 'one grades misses' in a pile and then allocate gaps to those people - seems they are loyal to those who pick course rather then putting spaces in clearing.
Reply 38
Original post by Melissa_S
My offer for Manchester was AAB, with an A in chemistry, but I got ABC (the C in chemistry) and still got in. I didn't even have to wait around, they told me at like 8am on results day. Apparently lots of people missed their grades though that year for my course so it came down to individual applications for who they still accepted.

I know this is about 4 years too late, but I've just stumbled across this and I'm really intrigued! What course was this for? I've applied to Manchester and got an offer of AAB, but I don't think I'm going to make that at the minute

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending