AS Music Edexcel 2010 exam technique - HELP! (please) Watch

Killer Bean
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi guys, so we've got the exam coming up Friday, as I'm sure you'll all know, and I'm pretty darn worked up about it! I got 44/80 in a class practice test today, but to be fair I had not revised for it, and had I answered the second essay question as well as I should when I take the test, I could get ~10 more marks.

My main problem with the exam is the aural. How the f*ck am I meant to revise/prepare for that? Would it be wise to, say, make 2 mindmaps: 1 for the instrumental works, and 1 for the vocal works and bung in keywords which would be likely to come up (e.g. modal; guided by words; bitonal; homophobic for The Lamb), or is there another way of preparing for something like that? That is by far the worst - I'm getting 7/16s on average. :eek3: :eek3: :eek3:

As for the essays, how about that? How can I get the most marks possible? I'm aiming for 100% on this section as I am a) good at writing essays and b) decent at memorising facts (at least in comparison to my general musical skill!). For the second (18 mark) question, would you state one fact pertaining to the question for each work (e.g. say the question asks you to compare the structure between Bach and Shostakovish, if I say "while Bach's Brandenburg Concerto is in Ritornello form (explaining what it is), Shostakovich's String Quartet is written in an unusual, contrasting structure of arch form (A B C B1 A1)", would I get 2 mark? 3? 4? 1? How should I go about answering and revising for this? Also, how many things can they ask you about (all I know about atm are structure, tonality, harmony and forces)? Should I make a mindmap with branches of these 4 (or more, if there are) characteristics of music, or shall I make a mindmap with comparisons of said characteristics ready made?

I'm really hoping for at least 60/80 on the actual thing in order to secure my B grade (my coursework is around a low B/high C I think). Any help/advice on any of this stuff would be greatly appreciated - I would love you forever, and maybe even rep you. :awesome:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1332)
79.67%
Leave (340)
20.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise