Taking 2 languages for a level Watch

missccify
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi, i'm really considering taking to languages for a level - french and spanish, and i was wondering if any of you out there who has taken or takes 2 languages could give me some advice as to if it's really hard/ worth it......basically what it's like in general?.....also i hope to study law and french and university so would it be helpful. Furthermore, my french is bit more advanced than my Spanish - would this hinder my progress taking 2 languages at a level?? i really enjoy them though and they are my strongest subjects.....

Thankyou

ps i'm predicted a*'s for both my french and spanish GCSE's
christykai1049
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by missccify)
Hi, i'm really considering taking to languages for a level - french and spanish, and i was wondering if any of you out there who has taken or takes 2 languages could give me some advice as to if it's really hard/ worth it......basically what it's like in general?.....also i hope to study law and french and university so would it be helpful. Furthermore, my french is bit more advanced than my Spanish - would this hinder my progress taking 2 languages at a level?? i really enjoy them though and they are my strongest subjects.....

Thankyou

ps i'm predicted a*'s for both my french and spanish GCSE's
am fluent in french and find that spanish is really easy.
so i'd recommend taking both french and spanish at AS level, then take only french at A level. French and spanish have many similarities. I
olipal
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I knew someone who took French, Spanish, Latin and Greek for A level, so it's definitely possible to do 2. If you enjoy them, go for it!
Doublereedfreak
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It depends on why you take them.
I only did German, but only because I was good at it like you and got an A*.
But tbh, the year has been a nightmare as I don't really want to put in the workload that it demands.
However, if you really love them, then they are so useful and you'll love it!
Good luck.
aeterno
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I took 2 languages at A-level too and it worked out just fine

I knew 2 people who took both French and Spanish and they survived fine with the workload etc.

As long as you choose your subjects because you enjoy them then go for whatever combination you want. If you truly love studying languages and are willing to put the effort in then I'd say go for it!
missccify
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Thanks guys! ....lots of helpful advice
darrochian
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
DON'T DO IT!

I was in a similar situation to you, I excelled in two languages at GCSE (French and German) and then decided to do them for A Level but it's been such a bad decision! I am struggling a lot with both of them. I used to find them so easy but one language is hard enough on its own at A Level, without the added complication of another one! I used to ignore people when they said it wasn't going to be easy at all, but I wished that I had listened to them! It's not as if I'm a bad student, I mean, I'm predicted four As for AS but I don't think i'm gonna get anywhere near as good as that now because of how bad the languages have been!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1065)
79.01%
Leave (283)
20.99%

Watched Threads