Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey there.

Well I have a slight problem with my A levels, I picked two subjects which turned out wrong for me (too much memorisation, not enough understanding) and as such currently my grades are

A*A*BB, in Maths, Physics, Computing, Chemistry

The problem is, my top 2 choices require me to get 3 A's.

I was wondering if it would be possible to do a third year at college in case I don't get my A in chemistry or maths, and do further maths and an additional as level.

I'm pretty confident I could achieve an A* in further maths, if I put enough work into it, however I'm worried that universities may just turn me down, because of the third year.

If anyone's wondering the uni's I want to go to are Southampton, Manchester and imperial.

P.S
    Im not giving up on chemistry and computing already, Im going to try my best to get the A's and go to uni this year, I would however like a something to cushion my fall in case I don't get the desired grades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freefrag)
    Hey there.

Well I have a slight problem with my A levels, I picked two subjects which turned out wrong for me (too much memorisation, not enough understanding) and as such currently my grades are

A*A*BB, in Maths, Physics, Computing, Chemistry

The problem is, my top 2 choices require me to get 3 A's.

I was wondering if it would be possible to do a third year at college in case I don't get my A in chemistry or maths, and do further maths and an additional as level.

I'm pretty confident I could achieve an A* in further maths, if I put enough work into it, however I'm worried that universities may just turn me down, because of the third year.

If anyone's wondering the uni's I want to go to are Southampton, Manchester and imperial.

P.S
    Im not giving up on chemistry and computing already, Im going to try my best to get the A's and go to uni this year, I would however like a something to cushion my fall in case I don't get the desired grades
    How do you have A* already? Have you done the A2 exams??

Urmm.. up to your college whether you can do another year there - you might have to pay though. You can take exams as a private candidate - so yes you can do another year/as many years as you like. Those unis might not necessarily give you an offer for next year though.. If you get reasonably good grades this year and explain on your personal statement why you took a year out and what you intend to do, then if they like you they'll take you again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperStarr1)
    How do you have A* already? Have you done the A2 exams??

Urmm.. up to your college whether you can do another year there - you might have to pay though. You can take exams as a private candidate - so yes you can do another year/as many years as you like. Those unis might not necessarily give you an offer for next year though.. If you get reasonably good grades this year and explain on your personal statement why you took a year out and what you intend to do, then if they like you they'll take you again.
    I dont have an A* I ment to say Im currently on track for those grades (got high 90ties for both physics and maths).

I talked to a few people in my college, they said I could stay for another year, but they arent sure if the uni's will accept me after a 3 year course

ReputationRep:
    Surely you can squeeze out that A in Chemistry/Computing? Otherwise it's worth applying nevertheless, even if you don't have a third A.

Besides, you'd be basically wasting another year doing an extra A Level instead of getting your degree out of the way. As long as you're at a top university, the work you put in and the outcome of your degree is what matters the most.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aurel-Aqua)
    Surely you can squeeze out that A in Chemistry/Computing? Otherwise it's worth applying nevertheless, even if you don't have a third A.

Besides, you'd be basically wasting another year doing an extra A Level instead of getting your degree out of the way. As long as you're at a top university, the work you put in and the outcome of your degree is what matters the most.
    Ill try hard to get the A's in both chemistry and computing, but it might be a bit challenging.

I've applied to uni's already and I got my offers back

Imperial A*AA - Firm
    Manchester AAA - Insurance

As I firmed imperial, I need to get the A in chemistry/computing, because there's too many applicants for them to accept people who didn't meet their offers.

I know that doing the third year may be a waste of time, but most of my friends are going to southampton/imperial/manchester and I'd really like to join them.

Edit: I better get off tsr and do some more computing revision, thanks for all the replies ill be back in a few hours :P

ReputationRep:
    I did a third year and got into Durham xD. So it is still dooable

ReputationRep:
    I dont have an A* I ment to say Im currently on track for those grades (got high 90ties for both physics and maths).

I talked to a few people in my college, they said I could stay for another year, but they arent sure if the uni's will accept me after a 3 year course
    Oh ok.. Well try and get those grades, the unis might still accept you.. Even if you drop a few marks off the grade needed you can always ring up and beg!! Imperial might be reluctant but Southampton and Manchester might be worth a try - esp if your not too far off the grade. Which are your firm and insurance choices btw?

What are those uni's asking you for? Tbh, whether they'll give you an offer next year depends on so much, like how many applications and places they have next year, how strong your actual application was this year etc! So I would work my butt off this year and try and get the grades I need for this year if I was you - positive thinking will take you a long way!

ReputationRep:
    Ill try hard to get the A's in both chemistry and computing, but it might be a bit challenging.

I've applied to uni's already and I got my offers back

Imperial A*AA - Firm
    Manchester AAA - Insurance

As I firmed imperial, I need to get the A in chemistry/computing, because there's too many applicants for them to accept people who didn't meet their offers.

I know that doing the third year may be a waste of time, but most of my friends are going to southampton/imperial/manchester and I'd really like to join them.

Edit: I better get off tsr and do some more computing revision, thanks for all the replies ill be back in a few hours :P
    Ah, I thought you didn't apply or something.

Well then, you should've made your decision with more consideration. Imperial is by far better and if you don't make it there then Manchester will probably let you in.

But there's nothing you can do about anything other than get the grades that you need.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if this is good advice or not but if you're offers are for A*AA for Imperial and your on track for A*A* in two of your courses then surely you can not focus on them as much and put all your hardwork into chemistry and try getting that A, because as you've said competition is high and if you don't get the required grades they will reject you. Your teachers may have predicted you B for chemistry but their words are not for certain and abit more effort in the subject will get you the grade because theres only a few marks difference.

Good luck

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

Student on bed with laptop

All student accommodation articles

City guides and advice on finding the right place

Photo of apprentices

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A young woman talking to her mother

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.