Turn on thread page Beta

Uni sounds worse than school tbh. watch

Announcements

(Original post by Ministerdonut)
    If you want university to be some kind of giant orgy you will be somewhat disappointed.

There will be cliques, someone else mentioned the rugger buggers, there is some truth to that. I'd say if you are a hot lecturer you might have a different girl bouncing up and down on you everynight.If you are rich, nice car up at uni, best halls, probably get a bit.

If you are just an average joe, might even be a virgin. You will probably have average mates. One of yous might get lucky at freshers,,the girl regrets it and her and her mates avoid the lot of you rest of the term.But basically no different for you lot ,than being at home and going out fridays and saturdays with your mates.

University might be one giant shagfest for girls if they want that, but we all know it is much easier for girls to be sluts than guys to be studs and that goes for anywhere,not just uni.

I had it somewhat easier,as despite not knowing anyone and hanging with joe blow averages at freshers,I got 'adopted' by a bunch of medical students, and RAHs,rugger buggers etc and my **** got wet quite a bit. It's who you know at Uni like everywhere else,it's fitting in and it helps to not be ugly and enjoy working out.Those medics work hard and play hard, lots of money to blow on booze and other stuff, and some very good nights.

This teh account i have been getting from a lot of people at University. As a guy , it sounds **** and worse than school. At least when i was school i was not paying a ******** for everything (apart from the degree which is definitely worth it). Cliques? Rugby guys? etc? It just sounds like an American tv programme tbh. I want to be around adults and not this sad state of affairs. Ok, perhaps i was not given the right genes in terms of physical stature being a guy just below 5ft8 but i really cba to play that whole game of pretending to be just like everyone else and mounting myself in endless debt just to pointlessly fund a big **** off alcohol binge and hope for a shag at the end of it.
    I'm sick of being the one who has to impress women and tbh the only thing my University sounds good for is the top degree i'll be getting.

ReputationRep:
    Only some get to be beautiful
    Unlucky
    By the way, when you "hope for a shag", what sort of girl is it you're after? Not an ugly heffer right? Yet you call everyone else immature or "not adult" when they're shallow about you.
    And most people are different from one another and quite unique, so it's very rare that you'll find somebody who doesn't share your problem with feeling a bit alienated and like they have to pretend to be someone else to fit in...

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure if you find the right group of people who you can be yourself around, you'll enjoy it Yeah there will be cliques and *****y people, but if you make an effort not to get involved with all that, you should be okay.

I haven't actually been to uni yet, but people i've spoken to have said they have made some amazing friends from it. But I guess its different for everyone...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    This teh account i have been getting from a lot of people at University. As a guy , it sounds **** and worse than school. At least when i was school i was not paying a ******** for everything (apart from the degree which is definitely worth it). Cliques? Rugby guys? etc? It just sounds like an American tv programme tbh. I want to be around adults and not this sad state of affairs. Ok, perhaps i was not given the right genes in terms of physical stature being a guy just below 5ft8 but i really cba to play that whole game of pretending to be just like everyone else and mounting myself in endless debt just to pointlessly fund a big **** off alcohol binge and hope for a shag at the end of it.
    I'm sick of being the one who has to impress women and tbh the only thing my University sounds good for is the top degree i'll be getting.
    Odd. I'm at uni, for me it's about finding new interests and making new friends. I really rather not shag someone. Through halls and my course i've made a few good friends. My uni experience has been heightened by having spontaneous nights out with these people and strengthening our relationships.

Don't believe that pessimistic view on uni. In mine we don't have these cliques..we have the loud druggies but they don't all stick together, they're dispersed among us so to speak.

I was pigeon holed into the 'hippy' group but then again my course is zoology and a lot of us get the same stigma. I've fallen out with the two guys I hung around with in the beginning but found a really good friendship with a girl I didn't get to know until more recently.

I'd like to think it's not about what you look like, i've friends all different heights and shapes.

Please don't make having sex being your goal at uni, that's just so...common. Eurgh.

Yes. But the whole idea of rahs , rugby players and lecturers lording it does not really show people in a really good light, in particular the girls. It's very cliched and thats not my thing.

ReputationRep:
    I guess I'll be fine then, I go to a private school so I fit in with rahs. Awesome.

ReputationRep:
    Pick your uni carefully then, make your friends according to your tastes and don't bother acknowledging those sad individuals who think uni is about one big shagfest. Just sad really, concentrate on your degree.

ReputationRep:
    You sound really negative. Go in there thinking you will have the time of your life. I knew from Freshers Week that I'd dislike uni, but thankfully I made some amazing friends who get me through it all!! You'll find friends for sure and have your own 'gang'. I'm not sure about getting sex there though- it's different for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    So you are going to rate your university experience on how many times you get laid?

Hmmm, i think you need to reconsider your priorities

ReputationRep:
    Well, tbh, it sounds like your main problem with it is that you're not going to get much more sex than you did in school. You do realise that is not the only point of going to uni? If that's all you care about then you probably will have a **** time, but if you go with the intention of studying a subject you love, in depth, meeting new people and making new friends and trying something new, then it'll be a great experience.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds rather like University actually, aside from the always awkward moment when you bump until people you hanged with in freshers and have to make awkward small talk.

Who gives a **** about how much sex you get though? university is about education not getting your end away every few days.

ReputationRep:
    depends on who you meet etc, I am having a great time living with my friends now (though one is my cousin and the other is an old friend, so i havnt made that many new ones) First year was crap for me though.

Education wise its pretty crap compared to school, you dont get much out of lectures compared to classes, cant interrupt when there are 250+ people... + I'm just fed up of it so dont care enough.. lol

My advice - join a club of anything you are interested in

(Original post by Farooqi bean)
    Pick your uni carefully then, make your friends according to your tastes and don't bother acknowledging those sad individuals who think uni is about one big shagfest. Just sad really, concentrate on your degree.

Yes, its just that by the anecdotal evidence i've been given, the shagfest thing is prevalent in both the guys and the girls. And what it ends up being is that a lot of guys get no success and end up feeling gutted whilst a lot of girls have guy after guy after guy which basically is not so much different to being a prostitute. I was raised in quite a conservative family and my relatives would never do stuff like dress like a hooker and get with every guy who is 'fit'. Thing is, this is most of the girls at the uni i have chosen. One girls facebook even read how she was actively looking for 'fit rah boys' and it annoys me that in this supposedly forward thinking society we are still playing the class system and creating reason for sexism to occur.

But maybe i'm just old fashioned.

ReputationRep:
    Go to uni and see for yourself. Everyone's experience is different and it's very hard for someone to describe uni without it fitting one stereotype or another. Go in with an open mind and you'll enjoy yourself. Trying to read up on what uni will be like beforehand is a recipe for disaster IMO.

ReputationRep:
    "Mom I failed my degree but on the positive side of things I did get some nice pieces of ass inbetween the bed sheet. Now I can go be a jigolo for the rest of my life. Well worth the debt I'm in!"

Ah some people today. Glad to know that the penis sniffed out the possibility of going to univeristy, otherwise the jigolo job might not be up for grabs.

Seriously who cares? Wait till you get there and see what happens. Oh and don't take all the 'advice' from the internet as 100% truth. Apart from this bit. As that's the 100% truth.

ReputationRep:
    University will be what you make of it. There are people as you described in the OP who are like that, but there are also plenty of people (me included) who are not like that.

I have found some new interests and hobbies, met people who don't only want to go out every night to try and pull (saying that its not as common as you might think from the quantity of stories I have heard off people) most of my friends prefer to go to the pub and talk to each other than get drunk in clubs and have stories of 'I don't remember last night' or 'I was so sick last night'.

I was thinking similar to you in some ways before I started but quickly saw it was not like that if you didn't want it to be. You only hear about those kind of situations because of american TV shows and films and those kind of people boast about it the most.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to pretend to be anyone. There's no student stereotype. I've met a lot of very different people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Yes. But the whole idea of rahs , rugby players and lecturers lording it does not really show people in a really good light, in particular the girls. It's very cliched and thats not my thing.
    For the last 7-8 years trying to be different and not be in a cliché is more of a cliché than anything else.

ReputationRep:
    As other people said, it's what you make of it.

ReputationRep:
    So many students are nobs.

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.