Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm extremely enthusiastic about making music and have been playing guitar for around 8 years. However, I need the right equipment for my recordings and this involves money .

I get a student loan and earnt a scholarship last year.

I'm currently looking for a job but have had no luck so far.

My birthday was just last week and I was given mainly money.

I live at home with my family so my expenses are minimal - except for giving my mum money now and then for staying here. I go clothes shopping about once or twice (maximum) per year and wear my clothes until they've almost fallen apart pretty much. I don't drink and/or go out to clubs ever since most of my social activities revolve around things which are mainly free. I can't remember the last time I bought a CD or DVD for myself and rarely buy books nowadays.

So, does is it seem stupid for me to let go of around £1500 to get some decent equipment? I was thinking that some people spend this (or possibly more) in a year on just going out every week while at university. But still, I can't stop deliberating over this. There's something about spending a student loan on other stuff that seems almost wrong to me .

ReputationRep:
    yes it is, that is a lot of money that you may not be able to afford to lose.

relax, if it's meant to be, it will!

ReputationRep:
    If you can afford it, I'd say go for it! Try to get equipment that'll hold its value, or maybe even look into buying used, remember though, if you're not very good more expensive equipment is unlikely to change that, unless you were previously playing a tennis racket and string or something.

ReputationRep:
    I'd personally gamble it away, or win cash gambling that amount then I'm all set.

ReputationRep:
    yes

ReputationRep:
    Keep in mind, that a university would also have similar recording facilities should you wish to use them.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but also see if the uni has equipment you can borrow for a small fee

ReputationRep:
    Just go and study music and make use of facilities on offer.

Like me, I'm off to study at Newcastle in September and they have a brand new music studio. It's first class and the equipment in there I can assure you is worth more than £1500.

So instead of you spending the money, let the universities

ReputationRep:
    Depends, as others have said whatever uni you go to is likely to have some recording equipment. Just my college at the uni I go to has a recording suite that cost *a lot* to build, with some really good equipment in it.

However, if it's like an actual guitar then it might be worth it
    What have you got at the moment?

I still think my Strat was the best thing I've ever bought, and indeed since I bought it it's actually gone up about £150 new, and it's not going to lose it's value much unlike the crappy mexican standards

ReputationRep:
    Well, I've changed my mind a bit about what I'm going to get and it's not going to make me part with £1500 most likely :P.

(Original post by White Zenith)
    Depends, as others have said whatever uni you go to is likely to have some recording equipment. Just my college at the uni I go to has a recording suite that cost *a lot* to build, with some really good equipment in it.

However, if it's like an actual guitar then it might be worth it
    What have you got at the moment?

I still think my Strat was the best thing I've ever bought, and indeed since I bought it it's actually gone up about £150 new, and it's not going to lose it's value much unlike the crappy mexican standards
    I've got pretty good recording equipment already. What I'm concerned with is having a good source to record .

I currently own a Jackson DK2m. It's not bad, but it doesn't suit my current tonal requirements and I can't coil tap the humbuckers without a stupid amount of effort.

I've been looking at a Schecter C-1 Standard. It's not the best, but I think it should suit my style of playing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by intheforest)
    Well, I've changed my mind a bit about what I'm going to get and it's not going to make me part with £1500 most likely :P.

I've got pretty good recording equipment already. What I'm concerned with is having a good source to record .

I currently own a Jackson DK2m. It's not bad, but it doesn't suit my current tonal requirements and I can't coil tap the humbuckers without a stupid amount of effort.

I've been looking at a Schecter C-1 Standard. It's not the best, but I think it should suit my style of playing.

Forget all that, get a Gretsch or Rickenbacker - Sorted :cool:

haha, but in all seriousness, that schecter seems pretty cool, seems quite veratile as well, not liking the pup's very much though :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GuitarManSai)
    Forget all that, get a Gretsch or Rickenbacker - Sorted :cool:

haha, but in all seriousness, that schecter seems pretty cool, seems quite veratile as well, not liking the pup's very much though :/
    What is it that you don't like about the pickups? Not a fan of Seymour Duncans? .

ReputationRep:
    If you're planning to record and produce music yourself I don't think it's worth it to spend all that money at this point. Especially if that is including some software like Pro Tools. It's all very well and good to get wonderful gear but if you don't know how to use it then you're still screwed. I record using GarageBand on my Macbook. I use the built-in mic, though you can get decent mics for pretty cheap or you can record DI and forgo the mic altogether, unless you're wanting to record other instruments too. Or, as others have suggested, you can just wait til you get to university and then use their facilities

I love Schecter guitars though, good choice on the C-1

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.