TA whilst at college or wait for UOTC? Watch

j55
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
hi, im 19 i currently work full time and will be going back to college in september, with the aim of going to university straight after. Now i tried to join the TA a few months ago but was deffered on the medical due to not being four years clear of my last inhalor (i have no problems breathing at all) and my question is when i hit my 4 year barrier and am inhalor free, do you think it is feasable to do the workload at college and participate in the TA training etc.

OR

do i wait till i get to uni and join the UOTC, which is another year wait. (i would be studying engineering at college and joining an engineering regiment)

OR

do i join the TA now then after one year at uni do i transfer to the UOTC (im assuming theres some sort of proccess, can someone please clarify?)

BTW i will only be a college a year.

thanks in advance.
Q_M
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by j55)
hi, im 19 i currently work full time and will be going back to college in september, with the aim of going to university straight after. Now i tried to join the TA a few months ago but was deffered on the medical due to not being four years clear of my last inhalor (i have no problems breathing at all) and my question is when i hit my 4 year barrier and am inhalor free, do you think it is feasable to do the workload at college and participate in the TA training etc.

OR

do i wait till i get to uni and join the UOTC, which is another year wait. (i would be studying engineering at college and joining an engineering regiment)

OR

do i join the TA now then after one year at uni do i transfer to the UOTC (im assuming theres some sort of proccess, can someone please clarify?)

BTW i will only be a college a year.

thanks in advance.
Hi there,

If your comfortable with what is possible in terms of workload I would join the TA now and get a transfer to a UOTC unit later on (this is possible, I did it myself). I worked 4 days a week in a fairly high stress job, did a day at week HNC at college doing construction design and had one of those girlfriend thingies as well. I was still a very active member of my TA unit - I would do every tuesday night and most weekend exercises and the 2 week camps as well. I did this for two years but I can honestly say it was a nightmare (not just talking about the ex girlfriend here either).

I assume you want to be an officer. I would say that you will struggle to do TA officer training and do a college course unless things have changed in the last 2 years - as there seem to be a lot of 4 days camps here and there throughout the year and it wasnt possible for me. Obvioulsy the UOTC is designed to work around your uni course as best it can, so I would say do in as a Sapper now and wait a year for officer training.

Q_M
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
That's a totally impossible question to answer sensibly without knowing what your overall objectives are.

Do you want to be a reservist while having a civilian job? Do you want to be a soldier? Do you want to be an infantry officer? A doctor? An engineer?
j55
Rep:
?
Thats a great help cheers Q_M, and yes the aim is to become an engineering officer, if that did not work out for whatever reason then I would be happy to settle for a lower rank as something in an engineering field.

And Q_M, you said it was hell but was it worth it??
Q_M
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by j55)
Thats a great help cheers Q_M, and yes the aim is to become an engineering officer, if that did not work out for whatever reason then I would be happy to settle for a lower rank as something in an engineering field.

And Q_M, you said it was hell but was it worth it??
It was worth it in the sense that I could go two the RAF two years later with that experience and get into a UAS. I'm hoping to get into the RAF in an aircrew role in the next year or two and I'm hoping it will help my application.

I feel the experience with the Army helped me in a big way - I got a good taste of how officers should act and I got a taste most days of how they should not act as well. I found it useful to sit back and watch as a Trooper and in my opinion from what I've seen the best officers are the ones who have been led in the past and not just taught how to lead at Sandhurst.

You will also get the chance to gain qualifications on some fairly serious kit and have some great experiences with the guys.

Q_M
FiveFiveSix
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Wzz makes a very valid point, that said - go TA. If you then, for some bizarre reason want to join a student drinking club and play soldiers, you can then transfer to the OTC. Why you'd want to is beyond me, but apparently you can. No doubt I'll take fire from the usual suspects over that one...
Q_M
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by FiveFiveSix)
Wzz makes a very valid point, that said - go TA. If you then, for some bizarre reason want to join a student drinking club and play soldiers, you can then transfer to the OTC. Why you'd want to is beyond me, but apparently you can. No doubt I'll take fire from the usual suspects over that one...
I'll second that.
ProStacker
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If the Army thought being a TA soldier was the best thing for developing future Officers, all Future Officers would do it. They don't. A small minority do it and, for them, it works. Then again, many do nothing of the sort and go on to full and highly successful careers.
Do it if it works for you. Assuming you can get in that is.
Puma
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by FiveFiveSix)
Am in the OTC you bigot! Haha, though I do train with another Unit which I won't mention for extra Green training and am currently in the TASO process. Drinking club, bah! As if we ever drink at all!

On topic, do what you feels best, we don't know your personal circumstances so you need to decide what best suits you. Having said that, personally I would join the TA then if you feel like it join the OTC and TASO with your old TA unit if your still local. All this will become more clear when your in. Good luck.
FiveFiveSix
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Puma)
Am in the OTC you bigot! Haha, though I do train with another Unit which I won't mention for extra Green training and am currently in the TASO process. Drinking club, bah! As if we ever drink at all!

On topic, do what you feels best, we don't know your personal circumstances so you need to decide what best suits you. Having said that, personally I would join the TA then if you feel like it join the OTC and TASO with your old TA unit if your still local. All this will become more clear when your in. Good luck.
Puma, you know full well :p: Admittedly, some OTCs are more switched on than others, and others just spend all their time on paid AT or paid socials, but that's a whole other debate.
j55
Rep:
?
well thanks for the insight people, obviously a mixed view on the subject but at least i have a bit of a better idea now, thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (863)
80.28%
Leave (212)
19.72%

Watched Threads