How easy did you find freshers week? Watch

leelou905
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
For the people already at uni, did you find it uncomfortable? easy? fun?

I'm starting uni soon and tbh... I'm a little nervous about being in a huge crowd and knowing noone. So how did all of you cope? share your story
concubine
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It was several years ago but still, I had fun. Too much alcohol, even by my standards. Made lots of friends.
volts
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
hated it
christykai1049
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
first time round was in sept 2008 at edinburgh uni. i went really shy and had an ensuite room so i ended up staying in my room petrified of going out. so i found it extremely hard to make friends (obviously).

second time round is gonna be in sept 2010 and i've learnt a lot about myself and have generally gained quite a lot of confidence. i chose a cheap accomodation spot on campus and i intend to mix as much as possible with as many people as i can (as well as work hard!! this is the most important part of uni, in my opinion). so i would recommend, going all out and more open-minded, try as hard as you can not to be shy (drink a little if you have to for courage or whatever) and talk to as many people as possible, try and find people with similar interests because these are the ones you'll most likely keep in contact with. at edinburgh i made about 7-8 friends despite my shyness but i have nothing in common with them, find them quite annoying tbh so dont speak to them anymore.
_BANKSY_
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I want to sleep with 1000 women on freshers week
v-zero
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by leelou905)
For the people already at uni, did you find it uncomfortable? easy? fun?

I'm starting uni soon and tbh... I'm a little nervous about being in a huge crowd and knowing noone. So how did all of you cope? share your story
I ignored it.
Jonpickles
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yeah, im worried im a shy person , Gonna try and come out of my shell tho, guess it will be worth the benfit of making friends and not having three years of knowing absolutley no one!
A.galloway
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by _BANKSY_)
I want to sleep with 1000 women on freshers week
A 1000! is that it, what are you a virgin?
x y z
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I found it quite difficult. Everyone was trying too hard to be cool and get one over other people to make themselves look good. I much prefer 2nd year where everyone's relaxed and friendly. Also, one of my hallmates decided straight away that she couldn't stand me for no reason. I overheard her *****ing about me on the 2nd day, and she got everyone to leave without me Tuesday and Wednesday night when I was looking forward to going out with them so I ended up staying in by myself.
leelou905
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Wow I'm pretty amazed at how crap some people's freshers were... Is it really this bad?
jumpingjesusholycow
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Everybody is literally in the same boat so that sense of not knowing anyone and being a little out of your element is pretty much universal during freshers week. So don't worry about it. I'd say try and get settled into a good friendship group though nice and early that's all and make several of them.
Chocothunder
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I found it all rather easy because my mind had been expanded by my gap year in Uganda, and it also made for some thrilling conversations with anyone new.
blue-libra-runes
Report 8 years ago
One thing I will say is make sure you have lem-sips or something for colds & flu as most people will catch freshers flu either during freshers or in the following weeks... I had it the last few days of freshers week, which meant i missed all the taster sessions etc for clubs and societies as I was ill in bed

Otherwise go to all the things that uni puts on during the day and the evening and make friends with a second or third year!!!! (eg a student rep) They will know everything!!! And help loads if you get lost or where to go buy food and other things.
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
soo nevous as im kinda shy but just going to try and be open and get to know people.
Xenopus
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It set the tone for the my whole time at uni, lots of lash and lots of gash, if you know what I mean.
Seriously though, freshers week was alright, but things do get easier once you are settled in. Fresher's week is hectic because people have not found their friend groups yet, and everyone is trying to make friends with everyone else, and you will probably meet a lot of people who you will spend the next three years avoiding. I didn't find it as socially awkward as it would have been without the amount of alcohol there was.
I was a bit worried about fresher's week, but there wasn't really that much need to be. It is daunting having to make new friends, in an unfamiliar environment, but everyone else is in the same situation. I am quite shy, but I managed to get through it ok. I missed freshers week this year, starting at a new uni as a post grad, but still managed to settle in, (and arguably better than I did as an undergraduate). The college system helps a lot.
P.S. Do not put your name down for all the societies mailing lists at the freshers fair. I am still getting spam from some of them from my previous university, three and a bit years on. They often have unsubscribing systems that do not work, and you are likely to never have anything to do with nine out of ten of the ones you sign up for.
elixira
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
BEST WEEK OF MY LIFE. Oh yes. Everyone's SO friendly, there are millions of possible conversational topics (however mundane!), you do crazy stuff, you simply cannot predict what's gonna happen. I definitely got lucky with my flatmates though, I got a good bunch. Most people do! If you don't, though, this is the main time in your life where it is TOTALLY acceptable to go down to the bar on your own and just talk to strangers. Seriously. It's weirder to stay indoors, alone.
elixira
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The hard bit for me was afterwards, because I basically became really good friends with all my flatmates - but then they started making friends on their courses and I didn't so now I'm pretty lonely ha. Still friends with my flatties from last year, but obv they've got their own friends and acquaintances now so...

I'd happily spend my life as a fresher, in different places, making friends but not having to worry about keeping them!
crazylemon
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I had a huge amount of fun but it was physically and emotionally draining (mine was a fornight).
Good fun but once only I feel. I made my best friends after it tbh alot of people I went out with in freshers I don't really talk to now.
Nick Longjohnson
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Amazing time, despite an introductory exam right in the middle of it. By the end, I was dating 3 girls, working on a 4th (though I'm pretty sure they were doing the same thing :p:), and made a bunch of mates
lucyhol1012
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I was very nervous for it all. Mainly because I'm quite shy when there are a lot of people and stuff. But it really wasn't that bad and it was easy to meet and talk to people as everyone just wants to chat and make friends

And I'll second what others have said; I don't really see many of those from Freshers. My best friends I met a little later :o:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (113)
46.12%
Pro-humanity (132)
53.88%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise