The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Everyone is in the same boat, and in the first two-three weeks, no-one is looking to be horrible, everyone is super friendly and just trying to meet people. It's really nothing to worry about.
Personally, I really enjoyed my freshers' week, our college put on toga nights, UV trip to Newcastle, live lounge night, free nights out everywhere... Really awesome fun. Freshers' fair with loads of free stuff, so many clubs and societies to join (think about which ones you're interested in BEFORE you go!)
The only bad part of it all was the freshers' rep who was trying to get it on with me, and the boyfriend who was having a hard time adjusting to the whole 'uni' thing/freshers rep drama.
Seriously, you may not love every second of it, but overall you will really enjoy it.
Oh dear, I'm really worried about Fresher's.

The idea of getting really drunk just doesn't appeal to me at all. I'll probably have no friends. :frown:
Reply 22
It's alright, really! I'm pretty damn shy and i survived it just fine. On the first day I didn't want to leave my room while everyone was moving in and my parents were still there, but i made myself and once yyu getting talking it really is fine, not uncomfortable at all. The first night i was pretty upset and just wanted to come home, but since then that sliterally the only time i've wanted to leave. The first week was great and it's surprising how quckly you get to know people. Once you're familiar with your flat mates its very easy to make new friends from there, you gain a lot of confidence just from knowing those few people. Nothing to worry about :smile:
Nick Longjohnson
Amazing time, despite an introductory exam right in the middle of it. By the end, I was dating 3 girls, working on a 4th (though I'm pretty sure they were doing the same thing :p:), and made a bunch of mates :biggrin:

I loooove the letter in your sig. And omg an exam?! What uni do you go to?!!
Reply 24
sylarfangirl
Oh dear, I'm really worried about Fresher's.

The idea of getting really drunk just doesn't appeal to me at all. I'll probably have no friends. :frown:

i could have written that :o:

thats exactly what im thinking :s-smilie:
-kit-kat-
i could have written that :o:

thats exactly what im thinking :s-smilie:

Awful, isn't it?

Everyone I speak to is all "I can't wait for Fresher's! Clubbing every night and getting blaked, woo!".

I don't know what to do. :s-smilie:

Where're you going? :smile:
Reply 26
sylarfangirl
Awful, isn't it?

Everyone I speak to is all "I can't wait for Fresher's! Clubbing every night and getting blaked, woo!".

I don't know what to do. :s-smilie:

Where're you going? :smile:

yeah i hate it :frown:
It makes me feel so pathetic. good to know at least someone else dosent like it either :p:

lol i have no idea where im going yet :confused: I'm in year 12 atm, so its a while off yet...but i am dreading it already
It was awesome. I went out a lot, met some great people, drunk a bit too much, and had loads of fun. I wasn't the most confident person before going to uni but I surprised myself and got stuck in there :biggrin:
Reply 28
bring cocaine and a keg and i'm sure you will be noticed
Reply 29
It was ok and had no baring on the rest of my Uni life so far. A vast number of better weeks had at Uni though. If Freshers' Week is the best week of your Uni life, then there's something wrong with you and you need to make better friends.
Very easy. It's the week afterwards which is difficult. During freshers everyone is in the same boat - even if you're shy you can join in if you force yourself to talk to people - also, people talk to everyone so you'll probably be approached.
It's easy to get involved. But once it's all died down and classes start you have to make much much more effort because groups form very quickly and it's not as easy to walk up to strangers and start chatting like in freshers.
Reply 31
best week of my ******* life!!!
This is a good thread. I'm nervous too. I have moments where I think I'm going to be totally lost and make no friends, but I figure, there are THOUSANDS of people there. I can't be the weirdest one there. I think we'll all just have to take a deep breath and strike up random conversations.
Looking forward to Fresher's Week, I'm not a particularly shy person and like meeting new people. I hope people don't dislike me though, that's my big fear, that people will take one look at me and decide I'm not worth talking to;*insecurity*.
I remember my freshers week like it was yesterday! OK, not all of it obviously, but the afternoons and the times we had in the flat after getting ready and after the night out.

Everyone's really friendly. There are plenty of reps there to help. Plenty of freebies. Plenty of alcohol. Lots of sex, too!

I drank a lot, I think. Not every night, though, as I knew if I did that then I simply wouldn't have lasted long. For some of the days I had early morning starts because of introductions etc., and I had heard horror stories of people getting vomited on by people too hungover and I didn't want to be one of those guys that got a rep for puking on people.

Generally, I just went to the organised nights out as they were the best and had the most amount of people there that were in the same boat as me in that they didn't know anyone else.

Don't try and get all pally with your flatmates if this means that you're losing out on opportunities to make other friends! Your flatmates will be there the entire year, but often friendship grounds form fairly quickly. Ironically, I mainly hung out with people from a totally different flat during freshers week but it wasn't long until my flatmates were my best friends.

And lastly, yeah, there's loads of sex. Almost everyone I knew got some 'action', so to speak. So if you want no strings attached sex, you'll get it. However, plenty of relationships formed out of freshers as well. Really easy to meet people of the opposite sex, and long distance relationships usually failed really early so if the person you have an eye on is taken, they'll probably be on the market pretty soon.
moomin_love
I loooove the letter in your sig. And omg an exam?! What uni do you go to?!!

Imperial FTL :mad:

I got two exams over the next two days, then I'm done :woo:
Nick Longjohnson
Imperial FTL :mad:

I got two exams over the next two days, then I'm done :woo:

I laugh at the non medic freshers week at imperial.
I saw your events, most were horrific and the one I went to (not mingle that was good, what I remember) as poor.

Medics know how to do it properly, 2weeks :wink:
Reply 37
I found the nights out really fun meeting new people but it was actually quite hard during the day... At the time my room was bare and I wasn't sure if I'd made the right choice on my course and I was feeling really homesick, something I never expected to be as I had actually left home 6 months earlier.

I guess consuming far too much alcohol every night didn't help.
crazylemon
I laugh at the non medic freshers week at imperial.
I saw your events, most were horrific and the one I went to (not mingle that was good, what I remember) as poor.

Medics know how to do it properly, 2weeks :wink:

Damn medics always have a blast. All of my friends are mech eng and chemistry.

Yeah, the mingle was good, but I dont remember much :p:

2 more days though. Thats it!
Nick Longjohnson
Damn medics always have a blast. All of my friends are mech eng and chemistry.

Yeah, the mingle was good, but I dont remember much :p:

2 more days though. Thats it!

tbh I spend more time with non medics than medics (I am the only medic in my house next year too :eek: I get called fake medic by other medics :p:)

2days? lucky sod I have 3 weeks til my exams.

Latest

Trending

Trending