M1 Jan 09 Q6 Help Please :( Watch

gozatron
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Okay, very hard paper for me.

6. Two forces, (4i – 5j) N and (pi + qj) N, act on a particle P of mass m kg. The resultant
of the two forces is R. Given that R acts in a direction which is parallel to the
vector (i – 2j),
(a) find the angle between R and the vector j,
(b) show that 2p + q + 3 = 0.
Given also that q = 1 and that P moves with an acceleration of magnitude 8√5 m s–2,
(c) find the value of m.

I can find the a)

But B) and C) not a chance..

Any help?
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
well for part b) you can say that the direction 2i + j is perpendicular to i - 2j ( draw a sketch to see !! )... so if you do a dot product with the resultant it will equal zero....

and for part c) the magnitude of the resultant force will be the mass M x the magnitude of the acceleration.

the magnitude of R is the square root of the sum of the squares of the components of R... which can now be represented as numbers since you know q and can find p from the equation .

the bear

gozatron
Rep:
?
(Original post by the bear)
well for part b) you can say that the direction 2i + j is perpendicular to i - 2j ( draw a sketch to see !! )... so if you do a dot product with the resultant it will equal zero....

and for part c) the magnitude of the resultant force will be the mass M x the magnitude of the acceleration.

the magnitude of R is the square root of the sum of the squares of the components of R... which can now be represented as numbers since you know q and can find p from the equation .

the bear

Could you explain B) a little further please?
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
when you do the dot product of two perpendicular vectors the answer is always zero... here we can use the force vector R and a direction which is perpendicular to that of R.

if you have not covered the dot product yet there is probably an alternative approach.

the bear

:o:
gozatron
Rep:
?
(Original post by the bear)
when you do the dot product of two perpendicular vectors the answer is always zero... here we can use the force vector R and a direction which is perpendicular to that of R.

if you have not covered the dot product yet there is probably an alternative approach.

the bear

:o:
I havent come across the Dot product no sorry

I looked at the mark scheme it says:

(4+p)i + (q-5)j
(q-5)=-2(4+p)
2p+q+3=0

I don't understand why they suddenly multiply (4+p) by -2.

Sorry for being a pain
Rohit93
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
okay so we know R is in the direction of i -2j... so it has to be some multiple of i -2j
so if we call the multiple x we have R = x(i - 2j) = xi -2xj

and grouping the i and j terms we get R = (4+p)i + (q-5)j

So if we equate the (i)s we get x = 4 + p
equating the (j)s we get -2x = q - 5

substituting the equation gives us 2p + q + 3 = 0
gozatron
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rohit93)
okay so we know R is in the direction of i -2j... so it has to be some multiple of i -2j
so if we call the multiple x we have R = x(i - 2j) = xi -2xj

and grouping the i and j terms we get R = (4+p)i + (q-5)j

So if we equate the (i)s we get x = 4 + p
equating the (j)s we get -2x = q - 5

substituting the equation gives us 2p + q + 3 = 0
Thank you very much for the help

Though i would never would have thought of that, lets hope it doesnt come up in monday's exam.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (48)
46.15%
Pro-humanity (56)
53.85%