Turn on thread page Beta

History- America Boom Bust and Recovery, Edexcel June 16th watch

ReputationRep:
    Anybody doing this topic on June 16th and how are you revising?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ManuchoGoncalves)
    Anybody doing this topic on June 16th and how are you revising?
    I am!!! It's stressing me out :eek3:
    I'm going through all bullet points, basically splitting Anti-Communism and the Impact of WW2 and the post-war economy into to separate bullet points!
    I really hope they give us okay questions and don't over complicate them, merging two bullet points together! grrrrr! :mad:
    For the controversies, I'm revising both but the Great Depression in more detail as that, is the one I am planning on writing on in the exam (question providing!)

ReputationRep:
    I am doing it as well, i haven't even started revising fully for it yet! I hope they give us some nice questions..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Individual)
    I am doing it as well, i haven't even started revising fully for it yet! I hope they give us some nice questions..
    They should do!! First time it's being done etc!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emjem123x)
    They should do!! First time it's being done etc!
    There has got to be a question on the New Deal.... And hopefully something to do with tensions in society...

You'd think having my teacher write the textbook would be advantageous, but i'm not sure it was :mad:

ReputationRep:
    There has got to be a question on the New Deal.... And hopefully something to do with tensions in society...

You'd think having my teacher write the textbook would be advantageous, but I’m not sure it was :mad:
    What's your teacher's name? Geoff? I thought the textbook hasn't been published...I’ve seen the two specimen chapters on the Edexcel website but that's it! Oh and the recommended books of the reading list

& yeah, well it's guaranteed for the controversy, but I would cry with happiness if opposition for the New Deal came on :woo:

but knowing my luck it really, really won't and will be utterly awkward and squash all university hopes next year!!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but not really started revising yet... oops and ive got a biology exam on the same day and english lit the afternoon before!

I'd like a question on how successful was the new deal, something like that would be good.Opposition to the new deal would be okay too. I'm hoping we dont get anything about the KKK i'm a bit iffy about it. I think i just need to go over all the essay's i've done and try no to get too worried...

ReputationRep:
    I am only part studying this unit.
    For section A, only doing social tensions, reasons for boom, and post world war 2 period.
    For section B, only doing the depression (controversy A).

I think for section A, there will a question that is based around the extent to which Americans were divided over social issues in 1917-28. There is a lot of focus on divisions and reactions to social changes in the specification. Obviously thought the question might not be so open ended and might be phrased in ways:
    how far was a return to normalcy made impossible in post world war 1 america because of deep divisions over social issues. and so on..
    There might be a question on reasons for Boom, and I don't know but they might just complicate matters by asking us to link the boom and problems/tensions in american society.

Section B, obviously there will a question on each of the two controversies. For controversy A (reasons for depression) it is pretty obvious that they will ask us to judge the importance of a particular factor (wall street crash, hoover, baking system, foreign influences etc) in bringing about/extending/worsening the impact/onset of the great depression.

just my two cents :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessicaxlofc)
    Yeah but not really started revising yet... oops and ive got a biology exam on the same day and english lit the afternoon before!

I'd like a question on how successful was the new deal, something like that would be good.Opposition to the new deal would be okay too. I'm hoping we dont get anything about the KKK i'm a bit iffy about it. I think i just need to go over all the essay's i've done and try no to get too worried...
    I have English Lit too!! Are you doing the Elements of the Gothic AQA exam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icyescape)
    I am only part studying this unit.
    For section A, only doing social tensions, reasons for boom, and post world war 2 period.
    For section B, only doing the depression (controversy A).

I think for section A, there will a question that is based around the extent to which Americans were divided over social issues in 1917-28. There is a lot of focus on divisions and reactions to social changes in the specification. Obviously thought the question might not be so open ended and might be phrased in ways:
    how far was a return to normalcy made impossible in post world war 1 america because of deep divisions over social issues. and so on..
    There might be a question on reasons for Boom, and I don't know but they might just complicate matters by asking us to link the boom and problems/tensions in american society.

Section B, obviously there will a question on each of the two controversies. For controversy A (reasons for depression) it is pretty obvious that they will ask us to judge the importance of a particular factor (wall street crash, hoover, baking system, foreign influences etc) in bringing about/extending/worsening the impact/onset of the great depression.

just my two cents :P
    Yeah i don't think i am going to study the depression, i will just do the New deal :p:

For the knowledge question i think what you are studying is probably a safe bet, if you cover 3/4 you can not really go wrong. i am still however not looking forward to this exam, the controversy bit should be easier than section A, i hate pure knowledge questions...

ReputationRep:
    mhm, there's speculation that bulletpoints could be merged though as in the specification they kind of cover their backs implying that they could combined two bullet points in one question for example. I personally think that won't happen; it's the first time this exam has been done! However, my class (worst case scenario) think something could come up about comparing the two booms (1917-29 & 1945-54) their causes etc. Like I said, that would be way too complicated surely?!

ReputationRep:
    mhm, there's speculation that bulletpoints could be merged though as in the specification they kind of cover their backs implying that they could combined two bullet points in one question for example. I personally think that won't happen; it's the first time this exam has been done! However, my class (worst case scenario) think something could come up about comparing the two booms (1917-29 & 1945-54) their causes etc. Like I said, that would be way too complicated surely?!
    That would be awful, i can see them merging bullet points which are related, like the prosperity of the 20s with social tensions during that time. I don't see them merging controversies though, that would be nigh on impossible to do.

And in response to your earlier question, my teacher was the author of the Access to History book for this course, Peter Clements, sorry i didn't make that clear earlier .

ReputationRep:
    That would be awful, i can see them merging bullet points which are related, like the prosperity of the 20s with social tensions during that time. I don't see them merging controversies though, that would be nigh on impossible to do.

And in response to your earlier question, my teacher was the author of the Access to History book for this course, Peter Clements, sorry i didn't make that clear earlier .
    Ahhh Clements, that's so odd i've quoted him lots of times! That must be rather cool to have him as your tutor you should bribe him!!!!
    & I know it would, I think I would just CRY. There's a question on the edexcel website "How far do you agree that the USA in the 1920s was a land of freedom and prosperity for all?" and for that you could include the sexual revolution (women), cultural revolution (mundane), 1920s boom (consumers) etc. but then you’d have to talk about how it wasn’t for some people…how immigration limited people’s freedom, as did the KKK, depressed agriculture during the boom…URGH I’d never manage to write all that in the time limit!

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh Clements, that's so odd i've quoted him lots of times! That must be rather cool to have him as your tutor you should bribe him!!!!
    & I know it would, I think I would just CRY. There's a question on the edexcel website "How far do you agree that the USA in the 1920s was a land of freedom and prosperity for all?" and for that you could include the sexual revolution (women), cultural revolution (mundane), 1920s boom (consumers) etc. but then you’d have to talk about how it wasn’t for some people…how immigration limited people’s freedom, as did the KKK, depressed agriculture during the boom…URGH I’d never manage to write all that in the time limit!
    Sharing a bit of Clements' knowledge, he says the most important thing in this exam is to recognise the overriding point, like for example in your question, to acknowledge how it was a time of great tension, socially and economically, 19th century views met 20th century reality. He said do not emphasise every single detail, but select certain bits to back up what you are trying to say.

ReputationRep:
    Sharing a bit of Clements' knowledge, he says the most important thing in this exam is to recognise the overriding point, like for example in your question, to acknowledge how it was a time of great tension, socially and economically, 19th century views met 20th century reality. He said do not emphasise every single detail, but select certain bits to back up what you are trying to say.
    Yeah, that’s how we’re being taught to do it. In the introduction, if there is a sense of ambiguity within the question, state how you interpret it (basically the overriding point) and then the rest of your essay is all the contributing factors to the view presented within the question.
    Urgh, really don’t want to do this exam

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that’s how we’re being taught to do it. In the introduction, if there is a sense of ambiguity within the question, state how you interpret it (basically the overriding point) and then the rest of your essay is all the contributing factors to the view presented within the question.
    Urgh, really don’t want to do this exam
    Me either, what do you need to get in this exam?

ReputationRep:
    Me either, what do you need to get in this exam?
    I’d reallyreally want an A but my teacher wants to push me for the new A* grade but, I’m just concentrating on getting an A I think! The whole two years is out of 400 right? I have 254/280 from the past three units so apparently, that's already a C, but the grade boundaries…nobody knows! So I have honestly no idea! Grrr!

Yourself???

ReputationRep:
    I’d reallyreally want an A but my teacher wants to push me for the new A* grade but, I’m just concentrating on getting an A I think! The whole two years is out of 400 right? I have 254/280 from the past three units so apparently, that's already a C, but the grade boundaries…nobody knows! So I have honestly no idea! Grrr!

Yourself???
    I need an A aswell, i would like to get the a* just because i would like to get one :p:. But i am not to fussed as long as i get my A :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I need an A aswell, i would like to get the a* just because i would like to get one :p:. But i am not to fussed as long as i get my A :yep:
    Agreed :yep:
    If not, my poor little life will be over!

Dear Edexcel, please by kind and give us a nice exam and I promise I will never **** you off again.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed :yep:
    If not, my poor little life will be over!

Dear Edexcel, please by kind and give us a nice exam and I promise I will never **** you off again.
    I have actually called in "sick" for work tommorow so i can spend the next four days dedicated to America. I would really like this hangover to go before i start however.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 22, 2010

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.