Macbook Pro 13" vs Macbook 13" Watch

angrychemist
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Good evening,

I am moving from Pc to Mac definetly

I know very little about computers, I want my laptop to be portable, to have a good wireless connection and decent battery life. I realise the Pro has 4GB ram and a backlight keyboard. I am starting Uni in september and will be using my laptop for standard uni stuff.

Is the Pro worth the extra couple of hundred quid?

Thank for any advice.

Cheers
AC
namtlade
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If it's just for uni and you want a mac then just get the macbook rather than the pro. It's already pricey so there's no need in adding a few hundered quid onto it for power that you don't need.
wubwoo
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Engadget say that the standard macbook can get discoloured and worn out easier (source: http://i.engadget.com/2009/10/22/uni...e-2009-review/ )

There are also other subtle differences e.g lack of sd card slot.

Maybe the extra £££ will be worth it if the laptop lasts longer and is more durable - depends how long you intend to keep the laptop I guess.
Greg.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The differences between the two base models:

- MBP has 2GB more RAM
- MBP has an SD card slot and Firewire port
- MBP supports up to 8GB Ram, MB up to 4GB
- MBP weighs a little less and is a little thinner
- MBP has backlit keyboard
- MBP has stereo speakers with subwoofers, whereas MB has stereo speakers
- MBP has a aluminium case that is more durable and (IMO) looks better

Everything else is the same: the screen size, resolution, processor, graphics card, battery, hard drive etc.
Depends whether you value the extra MBP features as worth the £129.25 price difference.
Keoje
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Go Pro
CMJBGBWC
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Pro!

For £860 you get the 13" with a free iPod touch for their back to school promotion!

On their site it says £940... that isn't the full HE discount. Just take your UCAS offer letter and then you're good to go, but make sure you have the full discount. Ask in store for their manager if they don't understand etc.
shookees
Report 8 years ago
My friend just received his Pro 13. Looks really fantastic comparing to Mac 13, even though functionality looks quite the same.
sbarrie2
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The pro is for exactly that, professionals. I think a top of the range macbook with 4gb ram would do everything you would need it to. I am a student and my macbook has been flawless..
mprules
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by sbarrie2)
The pro is for exactly that, professionals. I think a top of the range macbook with 4gb ram would do everything you would need it to. I am a student and my macbook has been flawless..

In reality the 13" pro is still a consumer level machine, not much has changed. While i would consider myself a power user and have a 13" macbook pro i still wouldn't say its a pro machine. Im not dissing the macbook pro mines fantastic.

I would say to the Op to head to the nearest mac store and try out both models the screen on both is fantastic!
doggyfizzel
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
There is no real need to get the pro, but if you can get the free iPod with it then sell than on Ebay, the price difference is even less.
Roobagnall
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If I were you I'd be upgrading the macbook to 4gb of RAM anyway and once you've done that I think it's about £50 price difference between them, so for that I'd get the pro and get the metal body.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1129)
79.01%
Leave (300)
20.99%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise