Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Okay, i'll try answer some of your questions, but i am not an arts student. There is another member here who is so she might be able to help you more.

1) You will need to send your results to CAO directly on results day. In 2008 CAO didn't get my results at all, i had to send them in on A level results day and i had to wait for a 2nd round offer because of that. Phone CAO on results day just to make sure. I took EDEXCEL and OCR.

2) This is a list of minimum points required for entry into any subjects in 2009.
    http://www2.cao.ie/points/lvl8_09.pdf

You can see the minimum points required for entry, into classics is 445, but the average points achieved by the class (mid point) is 560. So as long as you get above 510 or so you should be okay, bear in mind there are more applicants this year, so points will be raised. But looking at the grade prediction you listed in your sig, you will definitely be okay if you get those grades.

Any questions just pm me. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Classics really isn't going to jump into Top 10 most competitive courses any time soon. It's unfortunate that those who do apply generally have high grades. I can't see it jumping past 470 at the worst, it's only for courses that are 500-510 and above that it starts getting very difficult to get a place. Though bear in mind when you hear stories of people getting AAAA and being rejected that the British system is much vaguer than ours and difficult to compare, and that the percentage of Irish students getting max points is less than 1%.

I can explain things about Trinity, the arts block itself and the arts libraries etc. but I was an internal applicant!

ReputationRep:
    Do you know how competitive Trinity is for American students? My SATs are a little bit higher than the required minimum. Do I have a chance of getting accepted? Also, when will acceptance letters be sent out? Thank you! I really appreciate the help!

ReputationRep:
    Nope..it's competitive all round really, I've no idea if the typical American grades accepted are considered really high or not, I'd imagine so since the leaving Cert, A-Levels and IB are considered high to very high. I take it you're not entering through the CAO at all then if you're international fee-paying admissions? Try ringing international admissions or sending an email, should be on the tcd.ie website. In general, no-one knows until the 20th or so of August but I believe cases like yours know earlier.

ReputationRep:
    A girl from USA has already got an offer of a place, have a look at TCD forum on http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=468

I got an offer too! but I'm Irish and got a place as a mature student! The leaving cert students won't find out until august

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, everyone, for all of the help! It sounds like I may know before mid-August, which is very helpful.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.