What's considered a 'high' SAT score? Watch

for no reason
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I don't know anyone else who wants to study in the US so I don't have a standard to compare my score against.. I got 2290 and don't really want to take it again, do you think I have a chance entering an Ivy League college? thanks!
LittleMissDramaQueen
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
For SAT 2200+ is considered very high and applicable for most Ivy League colleges.

Here's what they roughly ask for in Critical Reading, Mathematics and Writing, in Harvard:

Critical Reading: 690 - 800
Mathematics: 700 - 790
Writing: 690 - 780

Supposedly other colleges are less. So I'd say you'd more than have a chance. Well done. Where were you thinking of applying?
Hank Hill
Report 8 years ago
Sorry to hijack the topic a little, but how much do the Ivy League consider A-levels?

I know that one must take the SAT and some subject tests but supposing one had 4 or 5 A/A*s at A-level, by how far would a moderate SAT score (say around 2000) be detrimental to an application?
ny2ko
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Hank Hill)
Sorry to hijack the topic a little, but how much do the Ivy League consider A-levels?

I know that one must take the SAT and some subject tests but supposing one had 4 or 5 A/A*s at A-level, by how far would a moderate SAT score (say around 2000) be detrimental to an application?
2000s still a pretty good score man
ny2ko
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
and dude a 2290 is amazing!!!! now ace the sat 2s just as well and you should have a chance to get into an IV league but remember that nothings guaranteed. had a pal that got a 2400 and didnt get in so i guess its more than scores but go for it mos definitely!!
aura1947
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
That's a really good SAT Reasoning score. Now if you ace the SAT IIs (it's really easy to get a perfect score) and provided you've got good academics and ECs...you've got a very high chance of getting in.

And Hank Hill, even if you get those A Level grades, I'd still recommend taking the SAT Reasoning again to get 2250+. Though 2000 is a nice score (I got 1990!) but it just isn't good enough for an Ivy League school.
saks10111
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
this is roughly what most college counsellors have to say about SAT scores.
you need atleast:
2000 + for a decent US university
2100 + for the Ivy League universities and Non Ivies like Stanford and MIT
and 2200 + if you want a GOOD chance at Harvard-Yale-Princeton

but yeah, like the others have said, US admissions are like a lottery, you'll never understand the process lol. there will always be exceptions to the rule, and you'll always hear of people who got into one of the top tier schools with average scores, but unless you've like served as personal assistant to Obama or something of the like, make sure you have a well rounded application!

(Original post by Hank Hill)

Most top universities, including the Ivies, say that academic excellence is their first and most important criteria for admission, and that relatively mediocre SAT scores can be negated with consistently good high school grades, and that it does not work the other way around, i.e. high SAT scores will most likely not make up for average high school grades. So don't worry too much, but try and aim for atleast 2100 + to maximise your chances!
boromir9111
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
what is the SAT score out of???
aura1947
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by boromir9111)
what is the SAT score out of???
boromir9111
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I remember taking one of the math test of the SAT for I and II(just to see how it was)......it was alright tbh......not harder harder than A level....
Ray_Han
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Sorry to also hijack the thread as well, but when is the latest I can take the tests by? And what could I do extra curricular wise that would help? I believe that there is a lot more emphasis in the US on leadership and extra curriculars. I have heard you need to be at state level in something, for example. Are there any top colleges that aren't so demanding in ECs?
Also to the OP; yes I have also heard that 2200+ is considered a very good score. It wouldn't hurt your chances of admission, although I guess you would need to be equally good in other areas?
henrykravis
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Vist the website of the school of your interest, they have the middle 50 % scores. For Harvard these are:

"Test scores for the middle 50 percent (from the 25th to the 75th percentile) of recently admitted classes range from 700 to 790 on the SAT critical reading section and 690 to 790 on the SAT math section."

so you get in with a score 'below' 690 on the math sections and 'below' 700 on the math (remember these figures are lower 25%, i.e 25% of the accepted candidates had scores lower or equal to this), so as another poster has mentioned other parts of the applicatin matter too!
aniltr
Report 8 years ago
my friend got into harvard with 1910! 690 in english and 610 in maths

he was studing a levels edexcel, chem bio maths and physics
SunderX
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Did the SAT's only once, without much preparation.

Got 2180 for the SAT I (iirc?) with 800/770/610 in Reading/Maths/Writing

Got 800/800/790 in the SAT II for Maths/Physics/Biology

Applied only to one university (MIT), and didn't get in :P.
SaintSaens
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Ray_Han)
Sorry to also hijack the thread as well, but when is the latest I can take the tests by? And what could I do extra curricular wise that would help? I believe that there is a lot more emphasis in the US on leadership and extra curriculars. I have heard you need to be at state level in something, for example. Are there any top colleges that aren't so demanding in ECs?
You missed the deadline for the last test for this academic year. You can take it next year. The first test period will be in October. You can go to sat.collegeboard.com to look up scheduling and fees, although next year's test dates have not been released yet.

I'll send you a PM regarding ECs so I don't go off-topic.

Also, a 2290 is a very good score, well in the 99th percentile. You could try to get the score higher if you wanted to be even more competitive in admissions (for an international student applying to Ivy League schools, this may be worth it), but you have to decide whether it's worth going through the process again just to get the score up by a presumably small amount.
Ray_Han
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by SaintSaens)
You missed the deadline for the last test for this academic year. You can take it next year. The first test period will be in October. You can go to sat.collegeboard.com to look up scheduling and fees, although next year's test dates have not been released yet.

I'll send you a PM regarding ECs so I don't go off-topic.

Also, a 2290 is a very good score, well in the 99th percentile. You could try to get the score higher if you wanted to be even more competitive in admissions (for an international student applying to Ivy League schools, this may be worth it), but you have to decide whether it's worth going through the process again just to get the score up by a presumably small amount.

Thanks for the info . I was looking on CC, and people were getting in with lower scores, although they all had incredible ECs or 'hooks' and were domestic applicants.
SaintSaens
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
One thing College Confidential readers have to know is that CC is hardly representative of students. There is a disproportionately high amount of high-achieving students on there, which can warp one's sense of what a good SAT score really is. Also be aware that international admissions to US coleges and unis will be different than domestic admissions.
gyyy2807
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think 2290 is a great score and you'll have a great chance at the Ivies. Well done!
othersideoftheworld
Report 8 years ago
Hey- just got my SAT score online, it's the first time I'd sat it and was convinced I'd flunked it.
Anyway: 650 maths, 730 writing, 800 reading.
I'm thinking of the Ivies - specifically the H-Bomb, Yale, Princeton - and wanted to know if this score is good enough? I mean, 2180 is kind of in the realms of possibility, but that 650 in maths... Ouch.
Additional info: I'm British, so would slightly lower SAT scores be seen in the context of my not having studied and been prepared for the SAT like a US student would have?
Thanks in advance
x
SaintSaens
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You need to raise that math section, and raising the writing section will also help. Only your highest subscores will be considered when admissions committees make their decisions, so it doesn't matter if your reading score decreases. Admissions committees at these colleges probably won't give you any breaks on your SAT scores.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1373)
79.55%
Leave (353)
20.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise