Which University is the biggest Loser/Winner Watch

PantryLeader
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
What top university (top 20ish) would you say has had the biggest drop in reputation in the last few years, and which university do you think has had the biggest gain in reputation?
antd
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by PantryLeader)
What top university (top 20ish) would you say has had the biggest drop in reputation in the last few years, and which university do you think has had the biggest gain in reputation?
I have collected the data from all of the league tables since 1999. I'll probably make a separate topic once I've analysed the results...

If by "reputation" you mean the Times league table, then:

Exeter was ranked 40th in 1999 and is now ranked 9th (2010). You may argue this is the most significant jump.

As for the worst drop. You might say SOAS gets that title. SOAS were ranked 6th in 1999 and now ranked 33rd.

But these are tentative results. I have not finished everything yet :rolleyes:
PantryLeader
Rep:
?
(Original post by antd)
I have collected the data from all of the league tables since 1999. I'll probably make a separate topic once I've analysed the results...

Exeter was ranked 40th in 1999 and is now ranked 9th (2010). You may argue this is the most significant jump.

As for the worst drop. You might say SOAS gets that title. SOAS were ranked 6th in 1999 and now ranked 33rd.

Why 1999, shouldnt you go back to 1992 when rankings started, wikipedia had the results back to 1992 for most unis in the top 30
InvoluntarySlacker
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by antd)

If this isn't part of your job then I fear for you.
Broderss
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think Aston since it is 17th now which is ahead of Birmingham by about 5, yet I always thought it was behind Birmingham in terms of reputation.
jamz0770
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Over recent times rightly or wrongly UCL's reputation seems to have spiked
Janicia
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
LSE- isn't it like number 15 or something now. SOAS seems to do well these years, but I don't look at league tables and am just going by hearsay.
Ewan
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
UCL has been doing pretty well in the international rankings... (if only looking at UK universities).
antd
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Why 1999, shouldnt you go back to 1992 when rankings started, wikipedia had the results back to 1992 for most unis in the top 30
Be my guest. I'm only interested in the last 10 years or so.
nofish4u
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Warwick has shot up the league tables in recent years
DJ AgnieszkaA
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
lancaster did extremely well in the independant league ...
PantryLeader
Rep:
?
I'd say biggest loser is Nottingham, and the biggest winner is St Andrews
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'd say biggest loser is Nottingham
There's a surprise.

(Original post by nofish4u)
Warwick has shot up the league tables in recent years
Are you being serious?
holmes221
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
UCL's jump in the QS world rankings it was like 30 something last year now its 4TH in the world.
reviresco
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I could probably find this somewhere if i trawled through, but i'll ask anyway, can anyone briefly tell me WHY there is such a discrepancy between world rankings (qs) and the british league tables?
katebushfan
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Can you link me to the wiki page please? I can't find it =/.
Smack
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Biggest winners = people that take league tables for what they are: a pile of pish

Biggest losers = people that furiously masturbate over the positioning of universities in the tables and base all their decisions on their standing
wilson_smith
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by reviresco)
I could probably find this somewhere if i trawled through, but i'll ask anyway, can anyone briefly tell me WHY there is such a discrepancy between world rankings (qs) and the british league tables?
Because they measure them on different values, hence different date and weightings, hence different results.

I think the world rankings favour larger institutes for example (hence Manchester's placing)

Just seeing how many times i can say hence in a post to be honest.
Craig_D
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by River85)
There's a surprise.
I was hoping you'd tell me in what sense you consider it a surprise? As in genuinely (presumably not), from a depressed but accepting point of view, from an anti-Nottingham point of view, etc?
username196545
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Christ, OP needs to get a life. Who gives a ****? :nothing:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1377)
79.5%
Leave (355)
20.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed