The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

?!master?!mini?!
So how do British people behave differently from other cultures?

Dress like a Brit? LOL, what part of the dress that you wear actually is 'British'

If you do not see a difference between the behaviour, attitudes and dress of British (which I will simplify as Western, since European and North American countries all share share similar traits) and Asian cultures, then there is simply no point in talking to you.

Next you will be arguing that a white man looks the same as a black man.

I am not suggesting that one culture is better than the other, that isn't my place to decide. What I'm saying is, it is misleading to say that a person is British just because they live here; there are other factors to consider.
I don't get why this thread has descended into a "what is British" argument; the BNP would have a field day reading some of the comments. Times change, you move with the times, you adapt and change to suit your surroundings and live in a more 'global' world. It's better to be open-minded in these situations. Anyway, I'm only adding to it myself, so I won't waffle on - what I will say is that this story is incredibly sad. I really don't know what to say about Pakistan, but I hope they manage to recover over the coming years from all that seems to be going wrong. It's a sad situation.
Reply 82
ciawhobat
well they weren't realy britons, they were pakis. It's not like they were a white family or something.

Should I feel bad for grinning at this?
Stressworthy
the BNP would have a field day reading some of the comments.

Thats a bit far. The BNP, whatever they claim in public, believe British means White-only. That's evidenced in the fact that they say someone like Ashley Cole is not British. Scumbag he may be, but I don't think anybody in this thread would suggest for one second he's not British.

The only point anyone in this thread has made is that to be called British requires more than just a piece of paper.
ColonelMoore
If you do not see a difference between the behaviour, attitudes and dress of British (which I will simplify as Western, since European and North American countries all share share similar traits) and Asian cultures, then there is simply no point in talking to you.

Next you will be arguing that a white man looks the same as a black man.

I am not suggesting that one culture is better than the other, that isn't my place to decide. What I'm saying is, it is misleading to say that a person is British just because they live here; there are other factors to consider.

Now that you've added that I agree with your previous post, simply because you were referring those attributes solely to British people, in your first post.
how sad :frown:

while they were visiting a grave-yard aswell

the killers deserve to be shot dead,

Thats the problem with getting british born pakistani/indian/bengali ppl married from back-home..culture-clash
Reply 86
tina2010
What is the definition of Terrorism by the way? And what makes someone a Terrorist?
If Killing innocents make someone a terrorist then i think america & british govt have shed quite alot of blood in Iraq,Afghanistan they would be in the top of Terrorist List.

Correct me if i am wrong that these would be terrorists were American Freedom fighters in past and now suddenly they are terrorists.America was the founder of this organisation called TALIBAN/al-qaeda .

When American govt is themselves Supporting terrorists i.e Isreal ,founder of taliban/al-Qaida e.t.c do you expect them to create peace or More TALIBANs and send them to neighbouring countries which you claim to be the cause of problem .LOL?:woo:

let me guess you also believe in the IlLumanti and Freemasonry reptile shape shifters that exist. You put fourth no valid argument against my statement, just a wave nonesense and conspiracy theories. The fact of the matter is, is that without foriegn troops in Pakistan, it would be a worse
place then it already is... Hell you can't even play cricket, the national sport of your country in your own cricket grounds.
Reply 87
_xAnonymous
how sad :frown:

while they were visiting a grave-yard aswell

the killers deserve to be shot dead,

Thats the problem with getting british born pakistani/indian/bengali ppl married from back-home..culture-clash

I know,
I hope the family get the justice they need :'(

Yeah, can't believe it escalated into violence, death and murder though "/
Reply 88
so everyone here condemning a whole country for one incident??
kk
Reply 89
It's a mess, but seemingly no more of a mess than plenty of African and other Middle Eastern countries.
Reply 90
It must be the iluminati's doing//
These people were fiercely culturally Pakistani, considered themselves to be Pakistani, forced their family into Pakistani marital arrangements, and went to Pakistan to consolidate them. They were then killed by Pakistanis in Pakistan due to Pakistani style family feuds.

I wouldn't particularly consider these people British, and frankly, I don't think they would either.
0201Bean
I know,
I hope the family get the justice they need :'(

Yeah, can't believe it escalated into violence, death and murder though "/

honour means everything to them, it was the'ir own family members i think if they need to kill for it evil ppl like this would.
0201Bean
http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/crime-courts/britons-killed-in-arranged-marriage-row-1.1029603

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8696188.stm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbVd_WGWWfk

This story made me cry, What sort of people would do that. They're not human.

Pakistan really isn't safe for anyone, even Britons who think of it as their 'home' or 'own' country.

I find it disgusting, and sickening, that people would kill their own blood, and family is said to be the most important thing in asian/pakistani culture.

My Grandparents are from Pakistan, and my Dad goes to visit every year, but tbh, it's not safe anymore; the bombings, the killings, what sort of place has it turned into.

My view of the country has changed. I loved it when i went on holiday, but i didn't see the real Pakistan, i suppose i was a tourist.

Whats happend to it?!

When was it any better? It has always been a violent nation, either the bloodshed with India or civil war.
Reply 94
Broderss
And I told you there is a distinction between citizenship and nationality.

The way they acted was not their British citizenship side, but was their Pakistani terrorist side. Plus why should they have the privilege to be called British when they attacked Britain, took British lives, injured many more British people, and did it all in the name of their people? That's not British. They aren't British.

Since the involved parties in both cases were British citizens of Pakistani heritage who were born and raised in Britain, the citizenship/nationality point is moot. Secondly, its no privilege to be called British, if they're British citizens, its their basic right to call themselves so, the same as a Korean-American calling himself American even if he supports North Korea. And what the hell is a "Pakistani terrorist" side. They were born in Britain, raised here, grew up with other Brits, went to British schools where they were taught by Brits, so I fail to see how they suddenly become "Pakistani terrorists" simply because they were terrorists. They were just as British as anyone else, and the fact that they blew up a subway station doesn't make them Pakistani. If it worked that way, the Nazi Party, the IRA and the Tamil Tigers would all be of Pakistani heritage.
0201Bean
so the fact that three people, a mother, father, and young women-mother of two, were murdered, in a country they should have felt safe in, in a country they regarded as their cultural home, a country their ancestors loved, is not sick? I'm not over-exaggerating, i'm showing Pakistan for what it really is. Now.

Its not pakistan.. its the people there.. Some of the people living here put ego and revenge before everything.. they are tyrannical enough to kill innocents.. They hardly have a heart imo.. But thats just some people... You shouldnt blame a whole country for their efforts, irrespective of how destablized it is.
0201Bean
Pakistan really isn't safe for anyone...Whats happend to it?!

What happened is that it is populated by a barbaric people with a
barbaric religion and is ruled by a barbaric military.
Predictably, it has descended into barbarism and anarchy.
I'm more concerned by the fact that people don't seem to realize that the father kind of caused the trouble himself. He had been told never to return to the village - but fair enough he had every right to return - but surely if a feud was that serious and you had to return but you knew it would be bad, you would keep a low profile, right? And not phone the family and say "We're in your village and there is nothing you can do against us", that is kind of asking for trouble.

Of course, it's a terrible tragedy, but it could all have probably been avoided, and children would not be without a mother and relatives would not be without their loved ones had the father been able to keep his trap shut.
Smtn
Pakistan is a shambles of a country

It is a failed country, with a failed legal system and a failed religion.
Seems like a lot pf Pakistanis spend a great deal of time batting back and forward between Pakistan and the UK for ..ermm...various reasons.

Makes you wonder why they dont stay there?

Latest

Trending

Trending