Pentium 4 561 [3.6/1MB/800] Vs. Pentium 4 630 [3.0/2MB/800] Watch

RandomFellas
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
1) Pentium 4 561
2) Pentium 4 630

Hi, I was going through my old box of parts and goodies, when I noticed I have enough parts to build a PC. So I wanted to build the best out of all the parts I had, and I was hoping if some Pentium heads here could help me out.

Which one out of the two is the best CPU to go with? Before jumping to conclusions, bare in mind (here is were I got stuck) the 630 has a 2MB cache, opossed to the 561 which only has 1MB. But the 561 is clocked 600Mhz faster, and is probbally more overclockable.

So the question is, which would be the "fastest" CPU out of the two under full load on most general applications i.e photoshop?

1) Pentium 4 561 1MB Cache - Overclocked to 3.8Ghz?
2) Pentium 4 630 2MB Cache - Overclocked to 3.2Ghz?

I just want the "best" out of what I have, so I can set up the machine and wouldn't have to bother with it again. My idea was to flog of all the other parts on ebay as I'm clearing out the house. (a 561 sold for £34 on ebay a few weeks ago - so theres some money to it I guess.)

Any advice?
Cypher_Aod
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
personally, i wouldn't bother. both of your processors are of the "Prescott" core, which means that they have MASSIVE power consumption and MASSIVE heat output. coupled with the fact that these days, a base-level 1.8GHz core 2 duo will soundly trounce a 4GHz pentium four while producing a tenth of the heat and using a fifth of the power, you might as well just flog the lot.
RandomFellas
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
No.
Dez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Probably the second one. But a P4 isn't really useful for anything, I've got one in my server machine and the only reason I can get away with it there is because the CPU cycles peak at 20%. As Cypher said, horrid power consumption, and prone to overheating if run at anything near capacity.
priveac
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Why don't you empirically test both and see what they can achieve?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (131)
46.45%
Pro-humanity (151)
53.55%

Watched Threads