Want to switch to Math. What are my options? Watch

rizwan3
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I have offers from Imperial, UCL, Bath, Sheffield and Cardiff for mechanical engineering with Math, Physics, Economics in A level. Normally, I would've just chosen Imperial as firm and UCL insurance but I want to switch to Mathematics for undergraduate study.
I wanted to know if it's possible switch degrees.
I'd appreciate some suggestions as to what offers to accept now and which universities may be open to switching degrees.
What are my options?
I understand I've been an idiot and it's a stupid time to change EVERYTHING but I don't want to be miserable doing what I'm not interested in.
eggtarts
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Might be better to post in the University Courses Forum..

You may be able to change degrees when you go to the university but it is up to the uni whether they want to let you change, especially at UCL and Imperial where spaces are scarce because of the amount of applicants.

And as to what offers to accept, like I said it is really up to the universities whether they will let you change and whether they have spaces.
studyboy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by rizwan3)
I have offers from Imperial, UCL, Bath, Sheffield and Cardiff for mechanical engineering with Math, Physics, Economics in A level. Normally, I would've just chosen Imperial as firm and UCL insurance but I want to switch to Mathematics for undergraduate study.
I'd appreciate some suggestions as to what offers to accept now and which universities may be open to switching degrees.
What are my options?
I understand I've been an idiot and it's a stupid time to change EVERYTHING but I don't want to be miserable doing what I'm not interested in.
You don't have Further Maths? Imperial will need their applicants to have an A in Further Maths!
Wardy23
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
What are my options?
Sussex have said to me that I can change from BSc Biochemistry to BSc or MChem Chemistry at any time if I want. Their only real concern was that I might not be on track to get the grades for the MChem if that was the one I prefered. I'd just email the undergraduate admissions people at each university and ask them if it's possible to change your offer to one for maths. If any reply positively then you're quids in!
Owl1867
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'd be very surprised if Imperial let you switch to Maths. At the start of this year they told us that the course was oversubscribed and we've had to have overflow rooms for lectures because everyone doesn't fit in one room. So I imagine next year it'll be similar and they won't want to take other people on.
nota bene
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Imperial is out of question without FM. I assume UCL won't be happy either without AS FM at least, although you can ask.

Either way you should be emailing the universities NOW to make them change your offer, they can only say no... They cannot withdraw the offers you hold for engineering, they can only change them if they so wish, so there's no harm in contacting the universities.

The other three should be easier as FM is not a requirement (or at least not to my knowledge).
Ziggy_Stardust
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
When I was applying I applied to English and then decided I wanted to study Maths instead. I had offers from Cardiff and York, both of which let me swap. I was still waiting to hear from Warwick at the time, so I asked if I could change my course application to Maths, which they did and offered me a place.

I'm sure that Cardiff would let you swap and probably Sheffield. Not so sure about the others though. If the universities you'd prefer to go to don't allow you to I'd give serious consideration to taking a gap year, perhaps doing Further Maths over that period, and then applying again next year. My parents massively dissuaded me from taking a year out and reapplying and although I really enjoy university I think I probably shouldn't have compromised on where I wanted to go for the sake of going to university that year.
alexs2602
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
What are my options?
So in response to your Q; phone/email the universities you'd like to switch to maths in so either UCL, Imperial or Bath from your list and ask if it's possible. Then you can decide what to do from then. If they say no and you do really want maths you might have to wait a year.
rt108
Report 8 years ago
dun u dare to study maths at imperial without FM, u will be a joke. competing with all the brightest asian students in the south kensington chinatown.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?