stomach keeps growling and rumbling Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
For the past year my stomach keeps rumbling when I am not hungry and I have noticed an increase in the amount of gas i produce. However over the past 2 weeks it has got VERY loud and people around can hear it alot too - it just doesn't seem to settle. If it is not rumbling really loudly i feel like there are little bubbles in my tummy that are bursting - sometimes they make a squeaky noise too. I've been getting cramps a lot lately and i don't really know what to do. It happens throughout most of the day. My diet is fairly good too - i don't drink any fizzy/carbonated drinks and am lactose intolerant so don't have any dairly apart from alpro soya milk and a little cheese the odd time. I went to my GP a few months ago but she just fobbed me off and told me to have a well balanced diet - which i do already but it just seems to be getting worse and worse. Does anyone else get this and what do you do to cure it because it really is very embarrasing?
Sprockette
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have the same experience (like bubbles bursting, gas, pain most days for years and I can actually see what seems like peristalsis of my bowel or lower intestine ) but unfortunately no real advice/solution I've had an endoscopy and colonoscopy and eventually they said they'd found nothing and it was probably nothing and never mentioned again. And got no better Maybe it's more common for people with allergies as I'm Coeliac as well... Have you tried any over the counter medicines?
HARRY PUTAH
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You need a biopsy or w.e it is to find out what you're allergic too.

You may be lactose intolerant as an example. Which means no milk related products.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by Sprockette)
I have the same experience (like bubbles bursting, gas, pain most days for years and I can actually see what seems like peristalsis of my bowel or lower intestine ) but unfortunately no real advice/solution I've had an endoscopy and colonoscopy and eventually they said they'd found nothing and it was probably nothing and never mentioned again. And got no better Maybe it's more common for people with allergies as I'm Coeliac as well... Have you tried any over the counter medicines?
nope, i haven't tried anything. i have tried actimel but it had no effect - it's just so embarrasing and awful. people sometimes think i am passing wind when it is my stomach making these weird sounds. i just don't know what to do and the more i stress about it the worse it gets. what about you, have you tried anything for it? i thought that by reducing my carb intake it may settle but that hasn't helped at all either
Anonymous #2
Report 8 years ago
I had this and my Dr told me to "chew my food properly before swallowing so that my intestines don't over work". It may just be IBS. When you feel it coming go and sit on the toilet and try and produce something.
kc91
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by HARRY PUTAH)
You need a biopsy or w.e it is to find out what you're allergic too.

You may be lactose intolerant as an example. Which means no milk related products.
i may suggest that to my g.p when i book the appointment then. i dont understand why it happens because i have been diagnosed with lactose intolerance and avoid all dairy products (apart from cheese which i eat rarely) - it doesn't get better or worse after i have eaten cheese though
rj1990
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You probably have got IBS.
Ideot
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You ate my puppy. :hmmm:
tsrstar
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ive got this problem, its annoying beyond belief, and very embarrasing when its silent in the room, and suddenly my stomach starts rumbling, and everyone can hear it. I get very embarassed indeed. :sad:

I don't know what the cause of it is. I use to think it was the crazy amount of coke i drank, then i cut that out completely and it didnt stop. I've seen my gp, and he just told me to eat more. :/ I eat enough. Even now as im typing its rumbling lol and i just ate.

For a short time rumbling release, i find holding your breath works a charm, but everyone needs to breathe. If you find a cure, do tell.
I'd love to know what it is.
bananaslug77
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Mine is like that as well, it woke me up last night and I thought there was some animal outside and it took me ages to realise that the noise was actually my guts...
Farhan.Hanif93
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
When I asked various sources about a similar problem, they told me that it could be linked to stress, perhaps from academia. Do you stress about your academics OP?
/dev/null
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Make sure you eat at regular times in the day. And keep to that schedule.

Make sure you don't eat anything heavy before bed. (Eat no later than 7.30 IMHO).

I've noticed living with students that I'm the only one who seems to eat at regular times... I'm not sure why students don't think food/good diet/schedule is important. (Also, surely you learnt this stuff from your parents? I know I did!)

Also, make sure you eat breakfast! I can't believe basically everyone I know skips it... I would feel pretty crappy if I didn't.
Blah12345678
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have had the same problems and found out I had a stomach ulcer. It ended up with me feeling terrible and having sharp pain in my stomach. At night especially, I'd feel really bloated and my stomach would make loads of noises too :P

Obviously it'd be wrong of me to say you have the same but it's worth checking out the symptoms to see if you do have a stomach ulcer because they can be made much worse by things like exam stress or a bacterial infection.

Go see your GP again as it has got worse and if she fobs you off again, get a second opinion from another doc (most local surgeries have more than one GP - pick a day your GP isn't in or try and book an appointment with another).

Lastly, if it is seriously effecting you, you can take things like Pepto Bismol (absolutely disgusting but works really well) - obviously talk to your pharmacist before you do take anything and seek medical advice (most pharmacists have will be able to help you too) and see what they suggest.
alpinerose
Badges: 0
Report 8 years ago
Hi - I have had this problem too for the past few years and have been diagnosed as having ulcerative colitis and IBS (I obviously have other symptoms too - going to the loo alot being one of them). If you have any loo problems get your dr to refer you to gastro team at the hospital. It is manageable on medication. However, I have never found an answer to my bubbly tummy (so embarassing in meetings, courses etc). I do find eating just before I go into one of these situations helps though and keep cereal bars in my bag. Good luck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (906)
79.96%
Leave (227)
20.04%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed