Money saving tips for students [merged thread] Watch

This discussion is closed.
Agrippina
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I'm trying to save for uni and other things at the moment, so I thought it would be cool to share ideas about ways to save money!

Here's my first tip: bake all your own bread. It costs a fraction of the price of decent supermarket bread and tastes much better too!
black_mamba
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Baking bread? Bread is cheap, and surely baking it takes a huge chunk of time out of potential study time/party time?

I guess making large batches of food from scratch then freezing it for later works ut quite cheap.

Also, nick as many supplies as you can from your uni.
awkward_eagle
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Go shopping with friends, that way you can take advantage of more offers like 'buy one get one free' etc
Agrippina
Rep:
?
(Original post by black_mamba)
Baking bread? Bread is cheap, and surely baking it takes a huge chunk of time out of potential study time/party time?

I guess making large batches of food from scratch then freezing it for later works ut quite cheap.

Also, nick as many supplies as you can from your uni.
Nah, it only takes ten minutes to prepare, and the rest of the time it's just rising and cooking, so no time at all. Can't study/party all the time! It tastes way better than crappy cheap supermarket bread, especially when it's warm out the oven!
fonzievision
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It's not saving money on things like bread and salt that's going to help you. These are inferior goods and don't really make a difference.

I guess if you want to save money it has to be on things like transportation, cell phone bills, drinks, entertainment..
Agrippina
Rep:
?
(Original post by fonzievision)
It's not saving money on things like bread and salt that's going to help you. These are inferior goods and don't really make a difference.

I guess if you want to save money it has to be on things like transportation, cell phone bills, drinks, entertainment..
True, I just wanted to recommend the bread! :p:

I'm on Virgin mobile and you get to text other Virgin mobile users for 3p, so if your friends also go on Virgin that's a good way of saving money - my credit lasts for ages!
md_red_uk
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Or get a free sim card from o2 where you can get 300 free txts a month as long as you top up £10 a month.

If you use it effectively you can spend about £70-£80 a year on credit and that covers everything.
black_mamba
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I want the bread recipe! All my home-made bread turns out really really heavy, a nice medium would be cool.
Agrippina
Rep:
?
(Original post by black_mamba)
I want the bread recipe! All my home-made bread turns out really really heavy, a nice medium would be cool.
I got my recipe off the side of the yeast packet! But I've now bought a big book about bread-making so that I can expand my repertoire a bit! :p:
black_mamba
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Show off. I do own a cook book though and I'm still deciding whether its saved me money (cooking fom scratch) or wasted it (trying more exotic recipes and ingredients out).

*goes to find baking yeast*
Fleece
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by md_red_uk)
Or get a free sim card from o2 where you can get 300 free txts a month as long as you top up £10 a month.

If you use it effectively you can spend about £70-£80 a year on credit and that covers everything.
:confused:

how? i've got that tariff, and you have to put on £10 a month to get your free messages...otherwise goes skewiff...so not using any more than that a month would still mean £120 a year..and it's not v realistic asking me not to text for a month either :p:
homoterror
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I don't think I'll be baking anything when I have no oven

You could save money by not drinking alcohol. By downloading music. By buying train fares well in advance. By eating in hall/cheap canteens.
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Eeyore)
Nah, it only takes ten minutes to prepare, and the rest of the time it's just rising and cooking, so no time at all.
But you can get a loaf of bread for under 20p! lol Much easier to buy IMO and even as a student, I can afford to splash out 20p every now and again! :p:
Agrippina
Rep:
?
(Original post by nikk)
But you can get a loaf of bread for under 20p! lol
Yeah but they taste crap!
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Eeyore)
Yeah but they taste crap!
Well I could stretch to a pound then :p: But then I am just super-lazy when it comes to having to make/cook things myself!
Luize
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Walk. Don't use taxis (unless you absolutley need to).
Get people to call you back using the "but I'm a skint student" (works on parents)
Buy seasonal veg.
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Get all your friends in halls to use MSN instead of texting or phoning you.

We did this last year, and everyone always left their computers turned on and connected to MSN. If you want to give someone in another flat a shout to see if they want to come over for a cuppa or whatever, you can use MSN for free. Even if the person isn't there, you can use it like an answering machine
Hayley Kim
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Don't go shopping when you are hungry otherwise you waste money and buy crisps, sweets etc

Buy air tight containers so cakes/ things that go in air tight containers don't go off... have no idea what.. perishables?

Buy some vanilla escence. When you want something sweet to eat like chocolate you sniff it and it takes the craving away. Sounds mad but it really works!!
Holleh
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
iv tried the vanilla essence thing too and it does work lol. I would recommend buying own brand products at the supermarket, most of the time they are exactly the same thing, just packaged quickly. This especially goes for alcohol. I bought a bottle of fake baileys from asda the other day and it cost me £2.50! It tastes EXACTLY the same and is actually a little stronger than the real thing, a same size bottle of baileys would have cost me £15! They also sell this stuff called VS which is like a fake WKD, it cost £1.90 and was about 4 times the size of a regular wkd bottle, and it tastes great as well

another tip is to buy frozen when you can (and if you have a freezer of course!) because then things wont go bad. a good example is frozen veg, you just cook what you want and the rest does not go off and it is cheaper to buy in the first place
Flicker
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by md_red_uk)

But surely if you have to put on £10 a month that's at least £120 a year?!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (190)
18.57%
No (620)
60.61%
Not really bothered about them (213)
20.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed