Running down the road to happy :) Watch

je_suis_moi
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
EDIT: Pics are further down under spoilers if that helps analysis!

Okay, so before you even start reading I'm going to tell you this. I waffle. WAY too much. That be said, lets get going!

Starting this blog so I can keep track of (hopefully) my progress and also possibly be told where I am going wrong and so I can motivate myself to stick to my plan.

About Me: Spent far too long moaning about my podgy kangaroo pouch and was ingrained in years of terrible eating. Existed on microwave pizza and beans on toast and LOTS of cake. Incapable of dieting, any attempts at doing so resulted in a starve/binge fest, blah blah blah, woe is me. I'm on a gap year and I decided to actually DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. To cut a long story short I am learning to cook and to actually engage in regular exercise!

The Aims: I want to be happy and healthy. I want to get into the habit of eating healthily/exercising and after the current diet, I want it to become a lifestyle.

Current Stats: I have been working at this for nearly a month already. I am 5ft.9, female and 18. Originally weighed 9 stone 13, am now down to 9 stone 5. Waist was 27 inches, is now 25 and a half. Have also lost 2 inches from what i affectionately call 'the pouch'. Am unsure of other original measurements but I will find out if anyone cares

Stats Goal : I want to weigh around the 9 stone mark and have a flatter belly. I am quite a curvy person so I must accept that I will never have an entirely athletic/toned body. 25 inch waist and no more than a 2 inch different between that and pouch area!

Running: Running is going to be a large part of my cardio exercise and I also have running goals, hence the title! I would eventually like to run some sort of long distance race, between 7 and 10k. Currently running 2 miles about 2-3 times a week!

Eating: Will update daily and tell you more about my attempts at cooking/changing my diet as I go!

Will update as much as possible with stats and daily munchies and whatnot! If you have actually got this far, you a) are probably avoiding doing some form of work or b) are absolutely amazing! Please feel free to ask any questions if you are interested
Leon Trotsky
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Good luck!
je_suis_moi
Hmmk, I was going to post pics to go along with this, but I badly burnt my *ahem* upper torso yesterday in all my excitement about the sunshine and it looks a little ridiculous at the moment!

Anyways, today! I really need to keep a food diary as trying to remember is actually quite difficult.
Banana before run then
Breakfast: Bran Flakes with skimmed milk and a Raspberry Fat Free Activia
Snack: 8 almonds, tangerine, 2 cubes of raw jelly
Lunch: Half a marmite and lettuce sandwich on wholemeal bread. Grapes and an alpro soya yoghurt.
Snack: Apricots, half a slice of malt loaf
Dinner: (Decided to be a bit adventurous and try out some of the protein tips I got the other day, very yummy results!) Stir fry (low cal flora spray used for oil) With Tofu, red and yellow pepper, red onion, courgettes and pulses. Then some cherries!

Getting slightly distressed as I don't think my weight has moved for about a week now and there is a lovely looking muffin with my name on it in the kitchen. I know that if my weight doesn't move soon I will get disheartened with the whole diet thing. However the running is going well, although weirdly enough it makes me energetic for the rest of the day.
Today: Went for a run and then tried out some brief bodyweight exercises when I got back. It was a gorgeous day so I mostly just lay in the garden, but have just come back from a short burst of tennis, although it was so low impact I don't think it counts!
Comments on diet would be appreciated, I must be doing something wrong. I am also feeling slightly owned by the small girl who just came to the door and asked if we could sponsor her for her 5k run. She is rather tiny and could probably kick my arse :pinch:
je_suis_moi
Boo, today sucked. Got called into work last minute and my legs ached massively so I thought I would give running a rest for today as I would ride after work. However shift ran over and I didnt have time to ride before yoga, so all I've done today is yoga. Diet wasn't great either
Breakfast : Weetabix/Bran Flakes with sliced banana and raisins, cherry fat free activia yoghurt.
Lunch : Tofu stirfry on a slice of wholemeal toast, apricots
Snack : 3 almonds
Dinner: Salt and Vinegar Snack a jacks, fat free natural yoghurt with blackberries and blueberries (was in a rush)
Worst of all, I caved last night and had the muffin -facepalm- Only 1.5g satfat, but 267 calories. Oh dear dear dear!
pearlearrings
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
In terms of your diet: Too many carbs, hardly any protein and basically no fat. I think there is room for improvement.

All this "fat free" stuff isn't doing you any good - there is nothing wrong with fat, there is something wrong with lots of the sugars they put in those foods to make them taste good.
Lay off the yoghurts - once a day is more than enough - the ones you are eating don't have much protein in them. For protein - look at BEANS (of any kind really - kidney, chikpeas etc.), EGGS, FISH (can of tuna/salmon if you don't like the fresh stuff, or sardines which are a great source of fat).
The almonds are good - any other nuts you enjoy?
I wouldn't eat that much fruit, personally. Lots of sugar (read - carbohydrates), and ones like grapes and apricots area really just sugar. Berries are great, up those maybe, but dried fruit like raisins aren't actually that great nutritionally.

Women do very well on low carb diets, and it seems like you get your carbs just from sugar, which is the problem.
There aren't enough green vegetables, but I'm sure you knew that. Also - cold pressed oil is a lot better than the overly processed '1kcal' spray - and again, you need fats. They fill you up, and along with proteins, are the only essential macronutrients that your body can't get from anything else.

I am interested to see what you look like because I'm your height and weigh a bit less than you but I am considered quite thin - although I do have a lot of muscle, and I'm also curvy.

Also - what's the workout routine?
je_suis_moi
(Original post by pearlearrings)
In terms of your diet: Too many carbs, hardly any protein and basically no fat. I think there is room for improvement.

All this "fat free" stuff isn't doing you any good - there is nothing wrong with fat, there is something wrong with lots of the sugars they put in those foods to make them taste good.
Lay off the yoghurts - once a day is more than enough - the ones you are eating don't have much protein in them. For protein - look at BEANS (of any kind really - kidney, chikpeas etc.), EGGS, FISH (can of tuna/salmon if you don't like the fresh stuff, or sardines which are a great source of fat).
The almonds are good - any other nuts you enjoy?
I wouldn't eat that much fruit, personally. Lots of sugar (read - carbohydrates), and ones like grapes and apricots area really just sugar. Berries are great, up those maybe, but dried fruit like raisins aren't actually that great nutritionally.

Women do very well on low carb diets, and it seems like you get your carbs just from sugar, which is the problem.
There aren't enough green vegetables, but I'm sure you knew that. Also - cold pressed oil is a lot better than the overly processed '1kcal' spray - and again, you need fats. They fill you up, and along with proteins, are the only essential macronutrients that your body can't get from anything else.

I am interested to see what you look like because I'm your height and weigh a bit less than you but I am considered quite thin - although I do have a lot of muscle, and I'm also curvy.

Also - what's the workout routine?
Ahh, I thought I WAS doing low carb because I haven't really been eating pasta or bread and the snack a jacks yesterday were a one off. Didn't consider the fruit carbs, darn. Yoghurts were recommended on a running website (training with the hopes of doing a 5k soon, possibly 10k by the end of the year) for the calcium (as I have cut cheese and am having skimmed milk), but I thought fat free would be a better option when on a diet.

Have been having pulses in my stir fry and have bought chick peas to make falafels. Protein is a big issue for me as I am (supposedly) vegetarian
(Veggie explanation, don't read if you can't be bothered: I hate the taste of most meats, they make me physically gag, also the moral grounds. I was only eating sausages and chicken nuggets which are bad for you anyways so decided to go totally veggie. Before the diet I did very occasionally have lamb mince in my Spag Bol if mum thought I was looking unhealthy, but with cutting out pasta I haven't been having this)
and also I can't eat fish. I have never eaten eggs and think I will probably have the same reaction to them, however I work in a kitchen so I will ask the chef to make me one to try. What is the best way to have them?
I saw cold pressed oil recommended somewhere, but all we had in Sainsburies was olive oil and some other oil (not cold pressed) or this spray. Would it go by another name or will I have to go somewhere special to get it?
I can easily eat most nuts, even if i dislike the taste they are easy enough to swallow so I can man up about that! Again, any recommendations? And is green veg a specific type, or do you mean just generally?

In terms of work out: Running 3 times a week (generally in the morning before work). Running at least 2 miles, today i ran about 2 and a half and incorporated sprints. Need to start incorporating some longer runs in about once a week. I horse ride about 3 times a week but that's not really intense cardio. I do a 40 min workout twice a week which I adapted from a workout video. Includes tricep dips and push ups. Also just starting to do some bodyweight exercises as I can't afford the gym to do resistance work/weights but do need to include some. Yoga is once a week. Plus one rest day, although often I will ride on this day. Have just started on this regime so it really won't have had that much effect just yet. I do have a cross trainer, an exercise bike and an exercise trampoline in the garage, use the cross trainer if I work late shifts as I don't run in the dark because I am a giant woos :rolleyes:

Thanks for reading and the in depth reply, it is muchly appreciated :yep:
I will take some pictures later and upload as my burns have gone down. I am quite curvy, 32GG bra size and a fairly impressive bum (although this has reduced a fair bit lately!) I am not massively overweight, hence only wanting to lose about 8 pounds more, its more toning up as I am flabby in the leg and tummy!
je_suis_moi
Today :
Got up before work, had a banana, went for a 2 and a bit mile run. In the middle was the local park, did some brief sprint work round the football pitch, basically sprinting the lengths and walking the widths (did 3 or 4 laps, can't quite remember).
Breakfast: Weetabix/Branflakes with raisins and skimmed milk, alpro soya yoghurt.
Snack: Apricots
Lunch: Half a jacket potato and lettuce. Slice of malt loaf with olive oil spread. Spoonful of crumble and custard (BAD!)
Dinner: 2 quorn goujons and sweetcorn. Almonds and an Activia yoghurt.

Currently debating a bowl of porridge as I feel quite poorly and this would settle my stomach, but am reluctant as I didn't get to ride today and don't think I need the extra calories!

EDIT: Thought I'd mention, made a new playlist for my run and its really helpful. Have named it RUNB*ITCHRUN! Basically a bundle of buzzy indie tunes with high BPM that make me stride out. Helps me keep going when I'm flagging too!
riotgrrl
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Is it just me or are people who tell you should be eating less fruit just getting too damn picky? xD It's like on diet doctors, they're like "you're eating fruit? think of the sugar! Brown bread? I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE FIBRE, THINK OF THE CARBS YOU FOOL!" I mean, for heavens sake, there are limits on how healthy a person can be. Then again, this approach might be why I'm currently leaning towards a size 14 :p:

Anyways, I'll be keeping an eye on your thread cos I'm a similar height to you, also very curvy, also have a "pouch" problem xD and am going running quite a bit. Ohhh, and a veggie too. So I'm pretty much you, but heavier! Good luck
je_suis_moi
Forgot yesterday, was so tired by the time I got home that I was lazy and didn't post. Wasn't an awful day other than the peanut butter on toast I had (with peas and salad, don't ask) for lunch. Today has been.... bizarre.
I decided I would try my first three mile run, trying to gauge my time so i can think about running the 5k coming up soon. Worked out all my route on mapmyrun.com, found an excellent loop to do. Set off running, planning to take a mid run walk at 2 miles (the distance I would normally run) which was exactly at the turn for home. Had completed the usual part of my run and went straight on as opposed to running across the park, so was looking for the turn. Hadn't walked once, very proud etc etc, however noticed the pavement was getting smaller and smaller and eventually disappeared. Running along the verge with heavy duty traffic flying past, started to get slightly confused, but kept going. Suddenly came across a sign for a village which I know is a far distance from my house, and it dawned on me that perhaps my sense of direction had failed me. Fortunately have Google Maps on my phone with my location, turned out I had run a mile past the turning I should have taken. Major epic fail. However, this meant that I had run 3 miles without even realising and had done it without walking (other than the warm up walk) in half an hour! It did also mean that I then had a 2 mile walk home in the cold... But THINK POSITIVE! I wasn't even tired and managed to run at a fair speed down the last two roads when I knew I was near home. This was more to do with the fact that I hadn't had breakfast and could practically smell my porridge, and also that my legs were numb with cold then a testament to my endurance I would imagine...
Bad day for eating however the badness was mildly planned so not SO bad.
Breakfast: Banana, Porridge & raisins, natural yoghurt
Snack: Almonds, 3 apricots, an activia
Lunch: Bowl of sweetcorn (too soon after breakfast)
Dinner: Herein lies my failure. It was my grandads birthday, went out for a meal and I have been staving off the urge to eat anything bad by promising myself that I could have dessert tonight, while subconciously planning that no one else would want one so I wouldn't end up having one. bad move. Had a nice healthy(ish) wholemeal (or whatever it is) tomato pasta and salad. But then the horror, a Rocky Horror. I did my best to leave some, but according to the website, that bowl of beauty (chocolate fudge cake, ice cream and cream) contains 14.3g saturated fat and 644 calories (Pasta was 751). One thing I have found about all this is that it has ruined food for me. I used to absolutely revel in food, but now the guilt after eating something lovely, where I sit there thinking 'damn, that really wasn't worth it' has ruined the yumminess. I did however burn 399 calories on my run today according to mapmyrun, and I rode, so maybe my diet won't suffer that much :/
je_suis_moi
(Original post by pearlearrings)
-/
Quoted you as you said you were interested to see what I look like, here are pics that explain my issues
First two are me first thing in the morning, before I have had anything to eat or drink, so my tummy isn't awful, just podgy.
Spoiler:
Show

Spoiler:
Show

And this is my tummy at the end of the day I didn't even eat huge meals that day, so I want to lose weight so my tummy looks like the start photo at the end of the day! Will never be pin thin because I am just not built that way!
Spoiler:
Show

Stupid food baby...
je_suis_moi
(Original post by riotgrrl)
Is it just me or are people who tell you should be eating less fruit just getting too damn picky? xD It's like on diet doctors, they're like "you're eating fruit? think of the sugar! Brown bread? I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE FIBRE, THINK OF THE CARBS YOU FOOL!" I mean, for heavens sake, there are limits on how healthy a person can be. Then again, this approach might be why I'm currently leaning towards a size 14 :p:

Anyways, I'll be keeping an eye on your thread cos I'm a similar height to you, also very curvy, also have a "pouch" problem xD and am going running quite a bit. Ohhh, and a veggie too. So I'm pretty much you, but heavier! Good luck
Haha, I am the same, mum keeps telling me beans on toast is healthy, but now whenever I eat bread I swear I can feel it sitting in my tummy so HEAVY. Thats why I forget fruit = carbs, because they sit so light. Also, apricots are gorgeous. I really do appreciate getting advice from people, because it is so CONFUSING! I have read websites saying 'NEVER EAT PINEAPPLE' and websites saying 'Pineapple is a great daily snack'. Started with the apricots because they have a high potassium which helps reduce water bloating and am now slightly addicted but will clearly have to cut back. I sometimes wish I could go back to when I really just didnt care how I looked, ate microwave pizza twice a week, chips twice a week (at least) and cake every day. I wasn't any bigger than a 12 max then(and only because of boobs), but my damn desire for a flat tummy is RUINING EVERYTHING :P
riotgrrl
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by je_suis_moi)
Haha, I am the same, mum keeps telling me beans on toast is healthy, but now whenever I eat bread I swear I can feel it sitting in my tummy so HEAVY. Thats why I forget fruit = carbs, because they sit so light. Also, apricots are gorgeous. I really do appreciate getting advice from people, because it is so CONFUSING! I have read websites saying 'NEVER EAT PINEAPPLE' and websites saying 'Pineapple is a great daily snack'. Started with the apricots because they have a high potassium which helps reduce water bloating and am now slightly addicted but will clearly have to cut back. I sometimes wish I could go back to when I really just didnt care how I looked, ate microwave pizza twice a week, chips twice a week (at least) and cake every day. I wasn't any bigger than a 12 max then(and only because of boobs), but my damn desire for a flat tummy is RUINING EVERYTHING :P
Bah, I know how you feel. I usually hover between a 10 and a 12 and I've never ever had a flat stomach :mad:
je_suis_moi
Feeling awful and bloated atm, also verrrrry tired.
Yesterday, 2 mile jog inc some sprints. Found an excellent thing about sprinting bizarelly on an Elle Magazine blog and its helped me so much. Made sprinting immensely easier by getting me to focus on my arms! Also decided to calorie count for a few days just so I can realise that while I may feel like I'm dieting, calories quickly add up (I hadn't realised quite how true this was!)
Yesterday:
Banana (100)
Branflakes/Weetabix and Raisins with skimmed milk (approx 250)
Apricots (approx 80)
Almonds (approx 50)
Yoghurt (100)
Lunch of 2 quorn goujons and vegetable lasagne (400)
Tangerine (100)
Muller Yoghurt (86)
Slice of Malt Loaf: (100)
Alpen Light (70)
Dinner, Tomato and Basil Soup (85)
1241 calories

Today was rest day so I just did half an hour of stretching and bodyweight exercises.
Natural Yoghurt (100)
Porridge and Banana (350)
Raisins (40)
Activia (100)
Snack a Jacks (83)
Bean on Toast (400)
Alpen Light (70)
Salad, almonds and apricots (200)
Just over 1300 I believe, mouse is being funkayyyy so I can't use the calculator.
Feeling quite boring and flat today so nothing interesting to remark. Blah. New trainers arrived however and my loverrrr returns tonight so I might make him come running with me to force me to pick up ze pace
je_suis_moi
Argh, can't believe I haven't posted for five days. Have updated my mapmyrun training log, but I've been working monstrous hours and planning two holidays (one of which I leave on tomorrow, so excited!) I am now 9st 2 in the morning, but seem to be finishing every day at 9.4 or 9.5 with no variation for the last week, so depressing. My diet was going well until today/yesterday when I had two ten hour shifts and ended up snacking on mini cake from the buffet. Don't know how bad it was calorie wise as I made sure I only had soup for lunch and a small dinner to make up for it. Haven't had a chance to work out today as I am so busy arranging everything but ran 3 miles in 30 mins yesterday. I am starting to think that maybe I should make my goals less weight oriented and more fitness oriented as I know that I have the potential to slip into obsessiveness about it and don't want to make myself miserable. I will have access to a pool for the next week so will try and do an hours swimming every day plus whatever else I can fit in. Diet will likely be appalling unless there is a miracle and the kitchen comes with pans etc. No updates for a week now, but fingers crossed there will be loss!
je_suis_moi
BACK!
Very good, if bizarre results. Basically I spent the week eating pretty bloody awfully. While I still TRIED to avoid the massively awful sat fat food my boy lovvvvves, I still nibbled quite a lot of crap, including gorging on pic and mix at the cinema one night :p: (I love white mice damn it)
Before I continue, can I just say that I hate my boyfriend. He eats MASSSSSIVE amounts of crap (he had a pizza with about 20g sat fat one day for BREAKFAST, followed by a load of chocolate) and has no fat on him anywhere. Has a really toned stomach, and if anything is probably underweight for his height. He doesn't even do any exercise! So yeah, I hate him.
Diet Revelation (long so you might not want to read it :P)
I had micro chips twice and a fair amount of other crap. Also, didn't get in massive amounts of exercise as the pool was not exactly as anticipated :rolleyes: (opened at 10am for the screaming, dive bombing, snotty little brats. can you tell that i love children?) Although I did manage an 18 mile bike ride, whoop whoop!
Came back expecting to have massively gained weight etc etc, was actually quite depressed/worried about it. But no, weight hadn't changed. AND since I've got back (Monday) I've lost a further 1-2 pounds. (I'm 9 stone 3 this evening and was 9.1 this morning, but I'm imagining that may fluctuate back up. I haven't really exercised since I got back other than utterly merking a run today (which I'm so proud of, more of that after my diet revelations) and a 2 mile run the other day on a cottage cheese stomach that nearly ended in an upchuck in a random person bush. Also, my diet on my return has been fairly good, but definitely not as good as it was before. I do not understand how a week of carbs and little exercise got me out of my rut, but I am therefore thinking that I shouldn't try and restrict my calories quite so much and have at least one 'carb loading' (where I let myself eat bread and stuff) day per week. Plus, totally not worry if I do have a slice of cake rather than getting incredibly paranoid and upsetting myself.

Today= I AM SO HAPPPPY. Incredibly pleased with myself. Putting off running all day, really didn't feel like it etc etc. but it got to 7 and I forced myself out. Got to the half way point where i normally turn off and loop back home for my two mile run and got a massive burst of happy energy. Thus I have completed my first ever FOUR mile run in 40 minutes without stopping AT ALL. I know that probably isn't that great but I was so chuffed when I got back, felt like I could have sprinted round the block about 5 times. According to mapmyrun that is 408 calories burnt! I think I ate about 1500 calories (I'm not sure though because it was a bit of a snacky day but I didn't have dinner).
Can't remember everything but I think it was something like this
Breakfast: Porridge with protein powder mixed in and chopped banana. Del Monte fruit pot. Square of raw jelly.
Lunch/Dinner: New York cinnamon and raisin bagel toasted with cream cheese on top. Oat cake with teaspoonful of peanut butter. Fat free natural yoghurt with berries and nuts.
Snacks: Alpen Light bar, Jubbly ice pop, couple of spoonfuls of Ben and Jerrys frozen yoghurt (argggh, I know, but I had chocolate cravings!), bite of a cookie my mum was eating. I am a terrible theif snacker. 6 pringles.
I must have forgotten something because it feels like I have eaten way more than that. I have been working on distracting myself with hot drinks (3 peppermint teas, 1 black coffee, 4 hot juices (4 cals each)) so maybe that is more successful then I thought!
Regardless, I have lost around 2 pounds and am only 4 pounds away from my final goal. Also, I am starting to think that maybe 8.13 is an unrealistic goal as it would take me well into the underweight catagory and also I think it would be difficult to maintain and make me unhappy. However I am undecided on this so will keep working while I make my mind up :yep: :yep:
je_suis_moi
Very brief update I basically gave up on this blog as I started it for support really but obviously wasn't interesting enough :P anyways, just in case anyone reads this and thinks I am just another one of the many who start a diet and give up; I have reached my weight goal and am still working on my body. I run, do yoga and have also joined the gym to get the strength work outs (although only joined on a months offer, I go away soon and plan on joining my uni gym when I start there). I now weigh about 8.13, have run my first 5k race and my tummy isn't quite as unacceptable as it once was. So I'm taking this opportunity to blow my own trumpet and say YAY ME!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (175)
80.28%
Leave (43)
19.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise