Turn on thread page Beta

A Level predicted grades - how does your college decide them? watch

ReputationRep:
    Some departments at my college are dead set on having AS grades as A2 predicted grades, and have said they will not change their mind on this, unless someone was very close to getting the next grade, in which case they will consider it. In some cases, the chemistry department have been known to predict grades lower than what someone has achieved, if they did badly in the mock.
    On the other hand I've seen profiles of some on tsr who have had As predicted with Bs and Cs (some even below this) at AS.
    On what basis should people be predicted higher grades than what has been achieved at AS, and should the idea of predicted grades be scrapped completely or changed atleast, to make it fairer.
    Sorry if that sounds like a bit of a rant :o:

ReputationRep:
    Mine is pretty naff, they say they predict one grade higher than you got at AS, which I think is pretty stupid.

It's just your college that is crap in all honesty although my school is very open to requests. But universities need different ways of seperating candidates since they have absense of real A2 grades so we need predicted grades.

ReputationRep:
    My teachers predict off of classwork. That's why I got a D in my AS Politics exams and was predicted an A. I retook the exams in January and got a very comfortable A, so I think the system is pretty accurate

ReputationRep:
    We get the same as at As even if we miss the boundary by 1 mark

ReputationRep:
    I think my teachers all put letters in a hat and pick at random!
    I've been predicted a D/E for Sociology but got a A in the exam in January ^_^

ReputationRep:
    If you want a predicted grade...you just go over to your teacher and ask them to write it down on a paper and sign next to it.

lmao. I am pretty cool with the teachers so I got them to predict A*ABBBb. Heh.

ReputationRep:
    I imagine they are based on AS grades and current achievements, as expected.

ReputationRep:
    Predicting grades based on mock exams is sooooo stupid! lol

I got an E/D in my last biology mock (specimen paper) and ended up with 100% in the real thing. Much better to predict based on the AS results/knowing the individual in my experience.

ReputationRep:
    our teachers base it on exam and classwork (more on classwork if youre retaking less if not), but they are open to requests and sometimes give different grades for ucas and preedictions

ReputationRep:
    Most will just set your predicted grade for A2 on what your AS grade was, or put it up one. However there's always favouritism. I got the same grades as my best friend last year (even the exact same points) and my teacher offered to predict her an A, whilst predicting me a B.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the school, at mine you were sometimes predicted a grade higher, but mostly you were predicted the same. Noone was ever predicted two grades higher.

However at some schools people I know literally tell the teacher what they want them to be, or they just predict them ridiculously high. It was stupid in a system where you don't even have to put your AS grades on your UCAS, so people could be predicted AAA but actually have like DDDD at AS.

ReputationRep:
    At my sixth form it's meant to be your AS grade, or AS grade + 1 if you are doing a January resit. Sometimes teachers break this rule, for example a teacher predicted someone in my maths class an E at A2 level, and he got an A at AS level. He had to go to the Headmaster to have it changed.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    The rule at my college is generally that you get predicted one grade above what you got at AS, but to be predicted an A* you have to have got 90%+ at AS. Unless the teachers like you, or really want you to get into a good uni, in which case you can just tell them what predicted grades you 'need'. It is a bit of a silly system, since universities must know that most schools will over-predict a lot of the time, and they won't have any way of knowing whether someone is a genuinely good student or if their predicted grades are just ridiculously ambitious.

ReputationRep:
    I was predicted DDDCC at AS. First day back in September was ossim.

ReputationRep:
    With Sociology she predicted me a C/D and I got an A
    But with Biology I desperately wanted an A, she predicted me a B and I got a C but that was because the practical exam let me down

For my A2s I'm predicted ABB, A because thats what I got in AS Sociology.
    B for Chemistry because I got a really high B at AS but am finding it quite hard this year.
    B for History, I got a C at AS but I begged my teacher to give me a B and ended up getting nearly an A in one of my jan resits

Edit: If you get a C at AS but you want to go to a uni with like AAB predicted grades then the best thing to do is work really, really hard in your classwork and tests to show the teacher than you actually can get the A/B. I just took it for granted last year that I'd get an A predicted grade for Sociology, and I did but I don't think I exactly showed her that I deserved it tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Rouhgly based on classwork/ As grades...

Although a lot of pupils i know just went up to teachers and said "predict me an A* instead of an A" and the teachers did...

Although i got A/E predicted for law in first year because i had 2 lecturers and one of them really didn't like me...I ended up getting 88 in one exam and 68 in the other so was two marks off an A overall

ReputationRep:
    Im lucky that at our school it has nothing to do with the AS grades, the teachers just give us what they believe we can do. I had to literally beg my head of 6th form to predict me a B at maths, because I got an E for AS. Luckily I've really got my act together, got an offer from one of the countriy's top universities and I'm in line to get A/A*. Just goes to show how important these predicted grades are. (I didnt even tell UCAS that I got an E at AS for maths!)

ReputationRep:
    I think my college predicts from the AS grade and takes into account your class work and attendance. Also, once January of A2 has past, they add on the grades from those exams / or coursework, to predict a final grade.

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.