Taking occupational therapy as second degree...finance? Watch

fearny1989
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hia everyone, hoping someone can help me out!

I'm currently in my second year doing Joint Honours Philosophy and theology at Leeds. I really want to do a post grad course in Occupational therapy when I graduate...however I really can't afford to - I simply wouldn't have enough to live on under 6 grand because I live completely independent from my parents with my boyfriend. I know I could get a job but I worry how placements would affect this etc.

So, I was wondering if I'm able to apply for an undergraduate course in Occupational therapy instead and get the 6000 bursary per year plus fees paid by the NHS. Would the NHS do this for someone who already holds a degree? Or is it like the SLC who don't fund someone taking a second undergraduate degree?

I really don't know what to do...it seems I can't afford to do any post graduate study which is so annoying!

Any help much appreciated

EDIT - I'm not sure where I got the £6000 from...seems thats only for nursing. So it seems I can't do it because I can't afford it ...god thats so horrible...
djk_99
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Not sure if there are 2 year MSc pre-reg dregrees for OT, but I'm on one for physio. NHS pays fees and gives me a bursary of about £4000 a year.
I also looked at doing a second BSc after my first degree- the SLC will give you a second loan of half the value if your degree leads to a professional qualification, but I believe you get a reduced NHS bursary then. The NHS will still pay your fees though.
You can also get a special bank loan called a professional development loan, on which the government pay your interest until one month after you graduate. You can get up to £10,000 through that.
Do some research online, all the information is easily accessible.
Eisenhorn's Ferret
Report 8 years ago
I've just completed the first year of my Occupational Therapy degree, having completed my first degree back 1995.

You will get a bursary from the NHS if you are accepted onto the course and all tuition fees are paid provided you meet criteria such as having lived in the UK for three years prior to starting the degree etc. The bursary isn't very generous, you certainly won't get £6000 that's for sure, I think that's the non-income assessed bursary for nurses.

The bursary amount will vary depending on whether you're living away from home, in London, living at home etc. You are entitled to apply for a Student Loan even if you have already completed a degree but the amount is capped at half the maximum loan amount.

2 year Prereg MSc courses seem to be quite widely available. I'm doing my 3 year BSc at Brunel University and they have a Pre Reg course here. A word of warning though, the MSc is VERY tough, I know people on the MSc who wished they had done the BSc instead which is pretty tough in itself.

I would advise anyone who wants to do the OT degree to take an Access course in Healthcare and get a good grounding in Anatomy and Physiology. You'll thank your lucky stars you did.
ewoongilemma
Report 8 years ago
Hi there.

Im thinking about doing ot as a mature student, and i already hold a degree. as my degree is over 5 years old i have to go for the bsc rather than the msc. I would be eligible for a bursary based on my (not parents) income as i have been independent for min 3 years. I have also rung the student finance people and found i cant have a student loan as i already hold one, so i would really advise talking to them and finding out a lot of info on the internet isnt correct and up to date (i rang this week).

therefore my options include bursary, part time work, and for the final two years a career development loan.

i hope that helps and i would definately recommend phoning student loans, career development loans people and the nhs bursary people to find out all your options!

good luck!
lizzyjane
Report 8 years ago
Hi

I just thought I would add my experience as a mature student about to start a second degree in Speech and Language Sciences in September. I was also informed that I wasn't entitled to a student loan because of previous study rules. I applied in March and received notification in May that I was not entitled to anything. However, if you are doing a course which entitles you to a means-tested NHS bursary, then you are entitled to a non-income assessed, reduced rate maintenance loan. I believe that Occupational Therapy also falls into this category. I appealed the decision after doing further research and have today been notified that I will receive £2324.00 for the academic year.

Hope that helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?