Turn on thread page Beta

Self teaching core 4 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    wanted to teach myself core 4 for January, just want to know what everyone thinks of the module and if you need any core 3 knowledge for it, and its relative difficulty compared to the other modules.
    ty in advance
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I self-taught both C3 and C4; C4 definitely requires C3 knowledge. It's more difficult than the other modules, but it's supposed to be the "synoptic" module (i.e. it uses content from all of C1-3 as well as new content). If you're going to self-teach C4, it's definitely worth self-teaching C3 first. If you've got all of the summer to do this, it's definitely not too hard a goal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    I self-taught both C3 and C4; C4 definitely requires C3 knowledge. It's more difficult than the other modules, but it's supposed to be the "synoptic" module (i.e. it uses content from all of C1-3 as well as new content). If you're going to self-teach C4, it's definitely worth self-teaching C3 first. If you've got all of the summer to do this, it's definitely not too hard a goal.
    how large of a module is c3? and did you find it easy to learn by yourself?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by hey_its_nay)
    how large of a module is c3? and did you find it easy to learn by yourself?
    I'm a pretty poor judge of how big modules are. Maths modules in general are a lot smaller in terms of stuff that you need to know than in any other subject; but in terms of things you need to know how to do they can be a bit heavy. At first I found self-teaching C3 pretty tough, but after keeping at it for a while it became a lot easier. Self-teaching C3 definitely made self-teaching C4 (and FP3) a lot easier too.

ReputationRep:
    C3 uses all the principles of C2 & C1, they just get more and more complicated, same for C4. I've been teaching myself them since January and am sitting exams in June, if you're looking at January you shouldn't have too much of a problem, there's loads of stuff on the internet to help you as well, I forked out 30 quid for a textbook in January and I'v eliterally used in about 3/4 times.

ReputationRep:
    ok thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    gonna try to do so in the next few days, for this june.

ReputationRep:
    Im not sure the question can be answered ...

one thing though...if you are doing C3 and C4 do them from the same exam board as C3 and 4 cover different topics on each exam board.

Edexcel dont do integration on C3 yet are more trig heavy on C3 than other exam boards.

ReputationRep:
    It's easy. I'm thick and I could do it, so pretty much anyone should be able to with a bit of effort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Narik)
    It's easy. I'm thick and I could do it, so pretty much anyone should be able to with a bit of effort.
    Easy is subjective therefore Im not sure how this helps?
    The original poster has given no information on ability, prior experience and level of maths, time avaliable etc etc

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 23, 2010

University open days

• University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    School of Education Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.