Taking 5 AS Levels? Watch

This discussion is closed.
michaelbenson
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Well my preliminary question is that is it all worth it to end up taking 5 AS Levels and then 4 A Levels in an attempt to broaden my abilities as a character etc .. and get a wider understanding or just to get quality grades in 4 AS and 3 A Level subjects instead?
MarcD
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I will be doing the same as you, simply because I really wish to do all the subjects I am going to take. I say that if you think you're prepared for it, go for it. I guess it also depends on the subjects...From yours, I think you've got a good mix, and it shouldn't be too much stress for you to take all those subjects at AS and get good grades.
packupthemoon
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm taking five too. Mainly because I'm taking Maths outside school with my mum (lol) and so I'm doing the normal four in school (Bio, Chem, Textiles and Psychology).

I'm hoping that as long as I really keep on top of my work and organise my time properly I should be okay.
michaelbenson
Rep:
?
(Original post by MarcD)
I will be doing the same as you, simply because I really wish to do all the subjects I am going to take. I say that if you think you're prepared for it, go for it. I guess it also depends on the subjects...From yours, I think you've got a good mix, and it shouldn't be too much stress for you to take all those subjects at AS and get good grades.
Thats what i was thinking, i'd have my stressful and more academically acclaimed subjects such as English, Maths and Computing. And then with Media/Business Studies although they are more softer i feel they will be able give me a wider knowledge of the world of work, besides it is sometimes nice to have a couple of softer ones :rolleyes:
Kicky
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm doing five too (see my sig) and will probably drop further maths at AS and hopefully do 4A2s and an extra AS in something like geography in my second year. Hopefully I'll be able to do it, but i can always drop one if it's too much work
Nicki P
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
alot of ppl only take 4 subjects and then 3 to A2 but if i were you id take 5, firstly it gives you more opportunity to drop subjects you dont like, and also a wider knowledge, most universities only ask for 3grades, so its not imperative but id say go for it, your clearly academically capable! x
Two Tone
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You might as well try if you want to. If you think the workload is too much, just drop one when you get there
bluenoxid
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Five full subjects is difficult. I am now dropping down to 4 and possibly 3 because of poor grades at AS Level and because of very little free time to revise and more importantly relax
michaelbenson
Rep:
?
Noxid that is my preliminary worry. That during my first module examiniation in January that i am overwelhmed by the workload and end up performing quite badly in one or two of my modules which will of course require me to resit even if at that time i do decide to end up dropping a subject afterwhich.
Wise One
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Doable. Unnecessary. Simple as that.
Zoecb
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Try with 5 and see how you find it, if you feel it's too much drop one early on.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Only do it if you really enjoy all of the subjects and are confident you can handle the workload. Doing 5 won't really be an advantage when applying to university because 3 A-levels and an extra AS is all you need, and it's better to get good grades in 4 than average grades in 5. If you're only considering media studies/business studies because you think they'll be easy, I wouldn't do it- you'll still have to work for them, and there's no point if you won't enjoy them. Try it to begin with and if it's too much, just drop one.
spencerocks2
Report 13 years ago
tried bio/chem/maths/english/health and social care, to be fair health and social care was an easy B, but it was a lot of work (just not hard ok?) i couldn't handle maths as well so dropped it.

year 1. 4AS, year2. 3A2 +1AS critical thinking.
michaelbenson
Rep:
?
(Original post by kellywood_5)
Only do it if you really enjoy all of the subjects and are confident you can handle the workload. Doing 5 won't really be an advantage when applying to university because 3 A-levels and an extra AS is all you need, and it's better to get good grades in 4 than average grades in 5. If you're only considering media studies/business studies because you think they'll be easy, I wouldn't do it- you'll still have to work for them, and there's no point if you won't enjoy them. Try it to begin with and if it's too much, just drop one.
*gasp*

I dont choose any of my subjects based on the hypocrasy that they are going to be easier than others. Just that for me media is a subject i fully enjoy, getting an A* at GCSE without performing any revision it is one of my enjoyment subjects. I feel that business studies would compliment this A level well. Although your point about it being more quality than quantity is certainly a good one. I'll report back how things go in the subject after a week or so.
Jonathan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Everyone at my school takes 5 AS levels then 4 A2s (or 5 ASs then 3 A2s and an extra AS). I'm going to try taking 4 A2s and an extra AS next year, meaning 5 subjects in year 13, but if it gets too hard I can drop one.

And it's a normal comprehensive school.
snivellus
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I took 5 AS levels in chemistry, human biology, ict, geography and geology and came out with 4As and a B.
I personally didn't find it too challenging doing 5, but it depends on the subjects you're doing.
sugarwhirl89
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think that taking 5 and then dropping one if you can't keep up would probably be the best choice IMO (that's what I'm doing :>), because you don't know what you're able to achieve until you've tried it. The advice everyone (save for my own sister) gave is to do the subjects you know you'll enjoy, but you seem to already have decided (lucky). The teachers at school and my sister have told me that if you're going to take 5 ASs, make sure that you're well organised and get your homework in on time, and be prepared to not have much free time...
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (52)
28.89%
No - I got the required grades (105)
58.33%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
12.78%

Watched Threads