Career At Sea? Watch

Lscott22
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi all!
I'm sixteen, live in Scotland, still at school and I am desperate to follow a career at sea. I am extremely interested in joining the merchant navy as a deck officer. Preferably on Cruise ships or Ferries, but I do know this is not the time to be picky about what you do just as long as you have an income.

Which gets to my main question.
What do they want?
What will give me that edge?

I am not going to give up on pursuing my career so if I don't get accepted the first time I will keep trying.
Should I say that I will be persistent if I don't get in?

I am asking these questions because I am concerned, because people judge you on one word. The United Kingdoms largest recruiter (Clyde Marine Training) has currently suspended recruiting until September, this shows me that competition is fierce and places are limited. That is why I need advice from the "inside".

Much obliged.

Thanks in advance.
j-g-15
Badges: 0
Report 8 years ago
They want decent GCSEs, show signs of commitment and an overall can do attitude, well that's what I was told at my interview anyway! As long as you've got pretty decent grades etc you'll probably get invited to interview, then if they like you at interview they'll give you an offer of sponsorship! You might be a little late applying for September intake though, I was applying in January/February and getting interviews March/April, but there might still be some companies recruiting not too sure, if not I'd still apply now if I were you because there's intakes at most of the colleges in January as well. Hope this helps
Johnblue
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
good A levels, preferably in a Mathy subject

There is a guy on here who is in the MN & he said Clyde Marine were not good & you will work some poor ships for some poor pay

You need to apply through a company, BP, Shell, Maersk- I think Princess is the cruise ship one?

& yes it is probably pretty saturated

Get your A levels, or highers I would advise
Lscott22
Rep:
?
Yeh thanks for the help, when you say pretty decent grades do you mean just your basic standard grades (1-3)? Or would you recommend doing highers, advanced highers or even a course at uni?
j-g-15
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Johnblue)
Get your A levels, or highers I would advise
Yeah you need some decent maths knowledge, but A Levels/highers aren't a pre-requisite. There's basically two options, either do a HND (which only requires GCSEs) or a foundation degree (requires minimum 120 UCAS points), both can lead to a full degree later on, and from both you get a certificate of competency which basically lets you act as a deck/engineer officer onboard a ship.
Lscott22
Rep:
?
Would they want to know that you really want the job or should I just say that I have plenty of offers?
Johnblue
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Lscott22)
Yeh thanks for the help, when you say pretty decent grades do you mean just your basic standard grades (1-3)? Or would you recommend doing highers, advanced highers or even a course at uni?
I don't think a course at uni is particularly necessary, and I know nothing of the Scottish education system and not much on the MN.

But when I finished my GCSE's I looked at it and it seemed, going off what a MN guy said, better to apply through a company who will train you, pay you higher through training, and gurantee over 30g at the end of the training period.

use the search I think there was a topic pretty much giving step by step stuff
j-g-15
Report 8 years ago
Would they want to know that you really want the job or should I just say that I have plenty of offers?
Really want the job as in to go to sea? Yeah they'll want to know that, but as far as saying to them you're desperate to go etc and they're the only one you've applied to, that's not a great idea, but I wouldn't recommend saying you've got a bunch of offers either. Most of the recruiting companies know each other through training administrators etc, and they sometimes talk to one another about candidates who've applied to both of them, so no I wouldn't advise that. Are Clyde Marine the only ones you've looked at? Go onto careersatsea.org, there's a full list of sponsoring companies on there etc, to just apply to one would be hugely limiting your options and I wouldn't recommend it. Especially as there's a lot of companies offering sponsorship for ferries/cruise ships which is what you've said you're interested in.
Johnblue
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
with the big companies you need A levels or Highers, BP & Shell & probably big Cruise liner ones

this is the only big company I found that only required GCSE's

http://www.seacareers.co.uk/ Maersk I think

I am pretty sure the market will be pretty saturated now and would advise you to take your education while it is free
Awesome-o
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Do you want to be a sea man? Do you know any sea men? Do you like sea men?
j-g-15
Report 8 years ago
I am pretty sure the market will be pretty saturated now and would advise you to take your education while it is free
The training's free...accomodation, course fees, travel all paid for, plus a monthly training allowance. Sounds like a win win to me
Johnblue
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by j-g-15)
The training's free...accomodation, course fees, travel all paid for, plus a monthly training allowance. Sounds like a win win to me
In employability terms highers are more valuble

the army offers free accomodation, more or less, and it is still ****

there is a possibility you will not like it
Lscott22
Rep:
?
Really want the job as in to go to sea? Yeah they'll want to know that, but as far as saying to them you're desperate to go etc and they're the only one you've applied to, that's not a great idea, but I wouldn't recommend saying you've got a bunch of offers either. Most of the recruiting companies know each other through training administrators etc, and they sometimes talk to one another about candidates who've applied to both of them, so no I wouldn't advise that. Are Clyde Marine the only ones you've looked at? Go onto careersatsea.org, there's a full list of sponsoring companies on there etc, to just apply to one would be hugely limiting your options and I wouldn't recommend it. Especially as there's a lot of companies offering sponsorship for ferries/cruise ships which is what you've said you're interested in.
I am still at school at the moment, just preparing my self before I apply. I will be joining as many companies as i can. I am just worried because I have only a few highers atm (physics and Geography), but I will be doin math next year.
j-g-15
Report 8 years ago
In employability terms highers are more valuble

the army offers free accomodation, more or less, and it is still ****

there is a possibility you will not like it
Once you've got you officer of the watch certification, A levels/GCSEs don't matter, as long as you've got you certification after training you're employable, and there's a huge shortage of officers in the MN at the moment, after training there's no worries about getting employed.

Haha yeah you do have a point about the army, I'm starting training for MN in Sepetember, hoping it's not going to be ****. And yeah there is the possibility you won't like it, as there is with everything else.
j-g-15
Report 8 years ago
I am still at school at the moment, just preparing my self before I apply. I will be joining as many companies as i can. I am just worried because I have only a few highers atm (physics and Geography), but I will be doin math next year.
You've got ages to go then yet mate, just research it, go to college open days cos there'll be cadets doing their training there you can talk to, and try talk to people who actually do it for a living, and if you do go for it best of luck!
Johnblue
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Once you've got you officer of the watch certification, A levels/GCSEs don't matter, as long as you've got you certification after training you're employable, and there's a huge shortage of officers in the MN at the moment, after training there's no worries about getting employed.

Haha yeah you do have a point about the army, I'm starting training for MN in Sepetember, hoping it's not going to be ****. And yeah there is the possibility you won't like it, as there is with everything else.
yes I would have done the same a year ago, but reality crushed me & now I am doing A levels and hoping to delay the inevitable-a real job & graft, as are most students

good luck!
Lscott22
Rep:
?
You've got ages to go then yet mate, just research it, go to college open days cos there'll be cadets doing their training there you can talk to, and try talk to people who actually do it for a living, and if you do go for it best of luck!
Thanks for the luck! You said you were with a cruise company, which one? And if you don't mid me asking, what qualifications do you have and at what grade? -Don't answer if you don't want to, I understand that people dont like doing that on TSR.

Thanks
Johnblue
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Thanks for the luck! You said you were with a cruise company, which one? And if you don't mid me asking, what qualifications do you have and at what grade? -Don't answer if you don't want to, I understand that people dont like doing that on TSR.

Thanks
If you can get them, get them, but they would not be all important I guess- but as I said before for most the big sponsership countries where the training fee is bigger A levels or highers are needed

what grades do you have, in English
Lscott22
Rep:
?
If you can get them, get them, but they would not be all important I guess- but as I said before for most the big sponsership countries where the training fee is bigger A levels or highers are needed

what grades do you have, in English
A 2 at standard grade (GCSE), but I am doing higher next year. I thought english was not as important as maths and physics?
Johnblue
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
A 2 at standard grade (GCSE), but I am doing higher next year. I thought english was not as important as maths and physics?
lol I meant your GCSE's in English terms, rather than scottish

and nah I don't think it really matters about english as long as you are literate
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (101)
19.65%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (210)
40.86%
Nope, not that interesting (203)
39.49%

Watched Threads