Watch
This discussion is closed.
sweet_gal
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hey everyone!
Well i have one year left of high school before I go to Uni and I have absolutely NO IDEA what courses to take!! I am quite a deep thinker and quite philosophical. I am quite shy, caring, kind, try to avoid conflicts but also a leader and can be bossy sometimes. I am not good at subjects like maths, business studies or science kind of things. But im good at english type subjects and interested in the study of human behaviour.

Id also be interested in being a magazine editor. and i love children. i dont really want to work in a boring office environment. i want to have a fun job, with a reasonable pay, with nice people and a job i love which is always interesting. i guess this is what everyone wants! lol i would also like to have my own holidays and would prefer not to have a boss telling me what to do.

maybe no job would fit my descriptions but does anyone have any idea what uni course might suit me best? i would really appreciate it if someone could help! Should i take a course on psychology? Journalism? Communications? I have NO IDEA!! Please help!!! I have always been interested in Psychology but the thought of spending 7 years at uni just to become a clinical psychologist, really put me off. And I don't want to be one of the Psychologists who just listen to people complaining about their lives all day - how depressing. But I would be interested in studying and observing human behaviour.

Can anyone please help me decide what I should study at uni??
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You have three approaches open to you.
1 - Do what your parents and teachers think is best for you.
2 - Do what you want to do yourself, what interests you etc.
3 - Flip a coin. I did for my last two modules this year
sweet_gal
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
You have three approaches open to you.
1 - Do what your parents and teachers think is best for you.
2 - Do what you want to do yourself, what interests you etc.
3 - Flip a coin. I did for my last two modules this year
lol - flip a coin! haha sounds like a great idea! haha - hope it doesnt come to that. ill prob choose wat i wanna do - but with a bit of influence from parents or teachers. just wish i could see into the future to pick which course is perfect for me....ahhh its too hard!
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by sweet_gal)
lol - flip a coin! haha sounds like a great idea! haha - hope it doesnt come to that. ill prob choose wat i wanna do - but with a bit of influence from parents or teachers. just wish i could see into the future to pick which course is perfect for me....ahhh its too hard!
Do what you like doing. There is very little point in chasing money. Especially if you don't like the career you chose, because people invariably go about changing over at some point anyway. Thus putting themselves on the back foot. Just choose something that you find you enjoy doing. Experiment, do some volunteer/charity work. It may sound callow, but these organisations are always crying out for people to take on all sorts of differing roles, and the best part is that its free for you to learn what you're good at etc.
fionah
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
What a levels are you doing and which is your strongest subject? Which do you most enjoy?

It would probably make sense to do something like psychology, or english perhaps, because then you will be leaving your options open seeing as you aren't completely sure what you want to do yet. I mean, there's not much you can do with certain vocational degrees (ie. teaching, journalism) apart from that vocation..
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I am not being funny here but don't go to university just for sake of it. Too many people do this end up not being able to get jobs when they graduate.
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
How about a 'Golf Course Management' degree. I have heard that they are very highly sought after.
kikzen
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
sounds like youre after a Psychology / Philosophy degree
pedy1986
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hey everyone!
Well i have one year left of high school before I go to Uni and I have absolutely NO IDEA what courses to take!! I am quite a deep thinker and quite philosophical. I am quite shy, caring, kind, try to avoid conflicts but also a leader and can be bossy sometimes. I am not good at subjects like maths, business studies or science kind of things. But im good at english type subjects and interested in the study of human behaviour.

Id also be interested in being a magazine editor. and i love children. i dont really want to work in a boring office environment. i want to have a fun job, with a reasonable pay, with nice people and a job i love which is always interesting. i guess this is what everyone wants! lol i would also like to have my own holidays and would prefer not to have a boss telling me what to do.

maybe no job would fit my descriptions but does anyone have any idea what uni course might suit me best? i would really appreciate it if someone could help! Should i take a course on psychology? Journalism? Communications? I have NO IDEA!! Please help!!! I have always been interested in Psychology but the thought of spending 7 years at uni just to become a clinical psychologist, really put me off. And I don't want to be one of the Psychologists who just listen to people complaining about their lives all day - how depressing. But I would be interested in studying and observing human behaviour.

Can anyone please help me decide what I should study at uni??
Politics / Philosophy / English Lit / Sociology / Psycology
RosscoB
Report 16 years ago
Don't worry about not being sure what course to take. Unless you want to take a subject that is in extremely high demand you will find that even when you get to uni your range of choice is huge. You'll almost certainly have an interview with an adviser of studies before you matriculate, and if you still aren't sure what to do then, tell them everything you've just told us, and ask for their advice. It's likely that they will be able help shape a curriculum best suited to your interests. Your first and second years (for Arts subjects anyway) are all about deciding what to study at Honours level.
Hope this helps, good luck.
VoodooDoll
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hey everyone!
I have always been interested in Psychology but the thought of spending 7 years at uni just to become a clinical psychologist, really put me off. And I don't want to be one of the Psychologists who just listen to people complaining about their lives all day - how depressing. But I would be interested in studying and observing human behaviour.
there are plenty of other jobs thast you can do with psychology apart from doing clinical such as educational, criminal and occupational to name but a few. clinical psychology is very competitive, in reality it takes a lot longer than 7 years to do because after your psych degree (and if you don't get a first or 2:1 then you're screwed) you need to do at least 3 years of work experience as an assistant psychologist (think long hours and hideously low pay). even with the work experience this doesn't guarentee you a place on the doctorate course, i think only 1 in 8 applicants get a place on clinical courses. the only plus point is that if you do get a place on the doctorate course you get paid 15-17K just to study and do a small amount of work with clients. having said that, by this time your fellow graduates will probably be on 35K and have their own house. it really is a tough profession to go into. if you want more info on clinical psychology check out http://www.psyclick.co.uk i don't mean to put you off clinical psychology, but its best to know the facts.
smaug
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You could do educational psychology. That would combine your interest in psychology with a liking for children. You have to do a degree in psychology, then a post grad teacher training followed by teaching experience, then you go back to do a post grad qualification in educational psychology (I think you can maybe do that part time thoguh). Its a long time but you would be working and earning some money.
TELEPATHICTUBBY
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i say do something that interests you the most. It's 3/4 years and it aint cheap! So do some serious thinking, Prospects Connexions is good for advice.
BenPollinger
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by VoodooDoll)
if you want more info on clinical psychology check out http://www.psyclick.co.uk i don't mean to put you off clinical psychology, but its best to know the facts.
The address is www.psyclick.org.uk - I'm the admin of that site. I agree that it's hard to get into and there are no guarantees of getting on the course. Assistant psychologist jobs can be very rewarding in some cases, but the money is not great. Hopefully this will be improved slightly by Agenda for Change, to about 16-18k a year.

If you want to know more or ask questions about clinical training, there's a forum over at www.psyclick.org.uk/forum/

Good luck in whatever you decide.

cheers,
Ben
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
try doing some career tests on the internet- you'll find loads if you do a google search, this one lookes ok http://www.assessment.com/MAPPMembers/Welcome.asp?accnum=06-5401-000.00
have you considered a joint degree in something like psychology/philosophy?

lou xxx
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (49)
14.12%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (47)
13.54%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (129)
37.18%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (35)
10.09%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (68)
19.6%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
5.48%

Watched Threads