Turn on thread page Beta

places to see in north west watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    yo! my girlfriends coming over to uk, and im in preston. i wonder if someone could suggest some beautiful places to go and see in north west of england? or maybe some entertainment. im already thinkin about going to blackpool's theme park, and then check out newcastle. but dunno any beautiful places... anyone? thanks!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Newcastle - north west?

Anyway:

Chester, Liverpool, Lake District and maybe Blackpool if you're into that kind of thing.

ReputationRep:
    Manchester Airport, Liverpool Airport.

ReputationRep:
    Lake District for looks and bit of lake fun.

Blackpool for more fun and thrills, dear god keep her inside the theme park at all times.

ReputationRep:
    Bowland Forest Dunsop Bridge I think it's called, it's small (tiny actually), has a little B&B and loads of really nice walks along the river beautiful place!

ReputationRep:
    blackpool for crack heads and a tower & a football club

ReputationRep:
    If you mean north west and not north east (newcastle???) then chester, great city for the looks, go along the walls, to the river dee and then finnish with some shopping.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Chris Pendleton)
    If you mean north west and not north east (newcastle???) then chester, great city for the looks, go along the walls, to the river dee and then finnish with some shopping.
    For the record it takes about an hour and a quarter to go around all of the decent sections of the walls, including seeing the River and going through about a quarter of the shopping area.

Well, when I'm the guide it does

ReputationRep:
    north west is a ********.

take her to liverpool, but only if you think she'd be awed by council estates.
    take her to blackpool, if she is intrigued by chavs.
    or just chill out with her in manchester if she's sick of seeing english people

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool FTW - Cavern Walks, L1, City centre pubs, Ferry cross' the mersey/Docks - (TATE), Liver buildings, L'pool Museum and Art Gallery. The world in one city <3.

ReputationRep:
    blackpool is actually probably worth the day out for the Pleasure Beach & the sea in general- you can't see what colour it is on a nice day, and the coastal line has been spruced up

ReputationRep:
    Already mentioned, Lake District is beautiful. Lots of walks, cycle routes, country pubs, boating etc. Climb 'Old Man' Coniston, walk Elterwater to Skelwith for cake at Coopers, then back via Loughrig Tarn (stunning in the sunshine), boat trips on Derwent Water followed by a stomp up Catbells. One of my favourite places on Earth.

Yorkshire Dales also, with Settle (nice market town), Hawes (Wenslydale Creamery (cheese)), Malham & Goredale (walking), Grassington (walk the river to Burnsall and back). Much more if you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3006)
    north west is a ********.

take her to liverpool, but only if you think she'd be awed by council estates.
    take her to blackpool, if she is intrigued by chavs.
    or just chill out with her in manchester if she's sick of seeing english people

Manchester is highly multicultural, I'm sure she'd love it :cool:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Walter Ego)
    Already mentioned, Lake District is beautiful. Lots of walks, cycle routes, country pubs, boating etc. Climb 'Old Man' Coniston, walk Elterwater to Skelwith for cake at Coopers, then back via Loughrig Tarn (stunning in the sunshine), boat trips on Derwent Water followed by a stomp up Catbells. One of my favourite places on Earth.
    YES!!!
    Have to go up the Hause End way thought or you wont get the best views. It's significantly steeper and not as easy to get to from the boat launch but that area is simply my favourite place on the planet.
    Damn - I'm getting slightly emotional thinking about it because it'll be several years until I go back there again =(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foreignactor)
    yo! my girlfriends coming over to uk, and im in preston. i wonder if someone could suggest some beautiful places to go and see in north west of england? or maybe some entertainment. im already thinkin about going to blackpool's theme park, and then check out newcastle. but dunno any beautiful places... anyone? thanks!
    But Newcastle is beautiful! One walk around its Neo-classical centre (especially Grey Street) will fill you with awe. Easily one of our most attractive city centres.

Anyway, do you actually mean north-west exclusively, or also the north east? Newcastle is in the north-east don'tchaknow.

North West: -

As mentioned, the Lake District is the obvious choice.

There's also the Peak District, including Glossop, as well as the Yorkshire Dales. Those (and to a lesser extent Northumberland, which I'll come to) are also national parks within easy travelling distance but remain, rather unfairly, in the shadow of the Lake District.

For a city visit then Liverpool, with its own unique history and (along with Newcastle, Bath and a few other cities) certainly one of our most attractive cities. Some of its Victorian architecture in particular is fantastic.

North East

Newcastle, as mentioned, including its Neo-classical archiecture, some of the country's premier art galleries of its kind (Baltic, Biscuit Factory, Laing). Museums (Great North Museum, Discovery, Hancock) and one of the country's best theatres. There's also the MetroCentre, if she likes shopping, although it's a bit overrated in my opinion. Just very, very big.

Two UNESCO World Heritage sites. One being Hadrian's Wall (which, as it stretches across the country, is also in the north west, specifically Cumbria) and Durham castle and cathedral.

Northumberland National Park, one of the few truly tranquil places left in England.

Wider Northumberland has plenty of castles to explore, more castles than any other county in fact. Dunstanburgh is quite brooding, although Bamburgh is most peoples favourite (particularly good as it's perched on Bamburgh beach - one of many long sandy beaches in Northumberland). There's also Lindisfarne ("Holy ISland") one of the cradles of Christianity in this country. But check the causeway times before crossing!

ReputationRep:
    Grizedale Forest in the Lake District has walks of varying difficulty . There are also sculptures all over the walks and you sometimes have to look really hard through the trees before you see them. It makes things far more interesting.

Fell Foot (Lake District) is great. You can take inflatable boats out onto the lake. It's quite touristy though.

For lakes or watery areas go for Coniston and Windermere. They are both touristy too (which is good if you want cafes/ice cream/boat hire etc).

Have fun .

ReputationRep:
    check out the pavements. I heard they have some nice texture in the north-west. Really smooth and nice, you could get your dinner off it.

ReputationRep:
    If you go to Blackpool and want to visit a more remote beach, try St Anns. Lovely, rugged beach with sand dunes.

Hebden Bridge for a bit of countryside.

Manchester for clubbing and shopping.

And of course, The Lake District.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.