Turn on thread page Beta

Vandalism watch

Announcements

There is currently an incident happening with my brother and some girl's car and her bf's car that involved vandalism last night and they are accusing him of doing it when it wasn't him. Phone calls and etc were flying earlier this morning and the threat of ''I am going to get revenge'' was echoed by this girls dad.

Now I have done absolutely nothing wrong, it doesn't concern me - however my family and I fear that there is going to be vandalism to the 4 cars that is on our drive!! Obv. it would be a wise move to put cars in the garage but we don't have a big enough garage to put the cars in and we don't have a gate due to the way the front exterior walls are situated.

As you can prob. imagine I am absolutely petrified that my car is going to be damaged as I can not afford to pay to fix any damage at the mo as I am not working lots of hours @ work and I am still studying full time @ uni.. but I was wondering if there is ANYTHING I can do to try and prevent it or is it virtually impossible to avoid??? . . . .

Apologies if this post seems pointless, just after mature responses really on the matter OR if anyone else has been a victim of vandalism.

ReputationRep:
    Park it in a public car park overnight? Might have a bit of a walk back but...at least it's kinda warm?

ReputationRep:
    a) set up a webcam to watch the cars out the window overnight, so if they do anything you'll have proof.
    b) hope they won't do anything, but make sure you keep a record of the threats they've given today (phone messages ect).

To be honest, very few people are that petty, though you've been unclear as to how badly their cars were vandalised, and chances are the cars will be fine. If they do do something though, which they'd be stupid to after threatening you so obviously, then get as much proof as possible.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, park it somewhere else.

OR, if you catch them doing it, report them to the police and they might be fined. Compensation, I'm thinking of.

(Original post by Deutsch_Beth)
    a) set up a webcam to watch the cars out the window overnight, so if they do anything you'll have proof.
    b) hope they won't do anything, but make sure you keep a record of the threats they've given today (phone messages ect).

To be honest, very few people are that petty, though you've been unclear as to how badly their cars were vandalised, and chances are the cars will be fine. If they do do something though, which they'd be stupid to after threatening you so obviously, then get as much proof as possible.
    My mum is currently looking for a CCTV camera to install because she isn't having it! Parents were kicking off big style this morning . .I actually got woken up by all the shouting (parents kicking off), phone calls (the girl kicking off down the phone) and screeching!

Apparently the damage on their cars was punctured 2x front tyres on both cars and 1 bent wing mirror on one of the cars. So it's not too bad, but this girls dad was saying ''I'm getting revenge''. My dad mentioned the whole incident to a friend and the friend suggested reporting it to police which we have done. So it's now on record so should anything happen, they know it's not a ''new thing'' if that makes sense. I didn't personally get the threats, my brother did. But because it was two cars damaged last night, and there are 4 in my house, quite obv. @ least 2 are going to be damaged, more likely mine and my brothers than my mum's and the other 'banger' in the drive!! :/

(Original post by Digit_Five)
    Park it in a public car park overnight? Might have a bit of a walk back but...at least it's kinda warm?
    (Original post by cowleya)
    Yeah, park it somewhere else.

OR, if you catch them doing it, report them to the police and they might be fined. Compensation, I'm thinking of.
    Nearest car park is half an hour away! :/ . . but I was thinking it though? . .

ReputationRep:
    Trundle along to your nearest farm shop and pick up a couple electric fence supplies. Hook up to the bodywork of each car and voila

Equally, a very large and angry badger in the front seat of the car should do a pretty good job of intimidation, or on a very long line in the front garden.

ReputationRep:
    set up cctv, or a webcam recoding it, then put up signs warning off cctv (you don't need there to be cctv to put the signs up though). record evidence of their threats, give theswe to the police.

or get some paint ball guns and do this

ReputationRep:
    You know what,Iam someone who cares deeply for my car, a jaguar that I saved up big time to afford, I started off at 17 with a mini which I bought for 100 pounds. If someone has a problem with me, I really wish they would speak and start on me rather than do something to my car which has done nothing.

Sorry but if this girls Dad is talking about revenge in terms of vandalising peoples car he sounds like a big fat pussy and I'd be going round his house now and having it out with him,especially as I would be totally innocent of doing anything to someones car ,warning him if he was stupid to say he'd get revenge because if he touched my car I'd be back round to knock him out and kick his plasma tv screen in,do his wife etc etc

Why don't people these days either go to the Police or knock someone out? Why be a pussy and do that to someones car? It is a pet annoyance I have as a good friend of mine got his car Keyed because he shagged someones bird.Got a problem say it to their face. Cowards.

Anyway in your case, I'd probably find out, from your brother if there is any truth to what this guy is saying. If there isn't I'd be fuking livid. Then go to the Police. Maybe park your car somewhere else as has been mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ministerdonut)
    You know what,Iam someone who cares deeply for my car, a jaguar that I saved up big time to afford, I started off at 17 with a mini which I bought for 100 pounds. If someone has a problem with me, I really wish they would speak and start on me rather than do something to my car which has done nothing.

Sorry but if this girls Dad is talking about revenge in terms of vandalising peoples car he sounds like a big fat pussy and I'd be going round his house now and having it out with him,especially as I would be totally innocent of doing anything to someones car ,warning him if he was stupid to say he'd get revenge because if he touched my car I'd be back round to knock him out and kick his plasma tv screen in,do his wife etc etc

Why don't people these days either go to the Police or knock someone out? Why be a pussy and do that to someones car? It is a pet annoyance I have as a good friend of mine got his car Keyed because he shagged someones bird.Got a problem say it to their face. Cowards.

Anyway in your case, I'd probably find out, from your brother if there is any truth to what this guy is saying. If there isn't I'd be fuking livid. Then go to the Police. Maybe park your car somewhere else as has been mentioned.
    The police can't do anything until it's too late and the incident has been done. And not everyone is willing to risk a criminal record to get even :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    Trundle along to your nearest farm shop and pick up a couple electric fence supplies. Hook up to the bodywork of each car and voila

Equally, a very large and angry badger in the front seat of the car should do a pretty good job of intimidation, or on a very long line in the front garden.
    Please do this!

ReputationRep:

Going to the police for something as morally abhorrent as 'shagging someones bird' will go nowhere, and knocking the bloke out will undoubtedly end with a police record which can be highly problematic. Damaging someones property however comes with a low risk of getting caught, and the financial pain in the proverbial can last far longer than a bloody nose, and as you yourself illustrate damaging someones car can serve as a fantastic way to get even in terms of the offence caused.

Not that I condone it, but one can see the logic in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by terpineol)
    Going to the police for something as morally abhorrent as 'shagging someones bird' will go nowhere, and knocking the bloke out will undoubtedly end with a police record which can be highly problematic. Damaging someones property however comes with a low risk of getting caught, and the financial pain in the proverbial can last far longer than a bloody nose, and as you yourself illustrate damaging someones car can serve as a fantastic way to get even in terms of the offence caused.

Not that I condone it, but one can see the logic in it.

I was talking about going to the Police for the car vandalism, you mis read that, and really someone who messes with someones property rather than facing them is a coward and to be honest , I would have no sympathy if someone got seriously injured or killed if they were caught doing it.

And you do seem,to trying to explain away what is really cowardly behaviour.People take great care of their cars,like myself.If someone done that to me, , I'd break their arms,so it would hit him finanically if he is working. If that guy had come to me in the first place and said he had a problem, it might not have come to that.All hypothetically of course. Men settle their differences like men,not like girls.

I'd expect a girl who'd been dumped or cheated on to trash a car not a man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carlito o.O)
    The police can't do anything until it's too late and the incident has been done. And not everyone is willing to risk a criminal record to get even :/

Do you think the type of person,who vandalises cars ,would go to the Police if he was beaten up over it? 'Excuse me officer, I got knocked out because I trashed this guys car,no I didn't get a good look at him because it was dark/he was wearing a balaclava,but I know it was him as he told me not to go near his house again'.

Even if it was heat of the moment he got punished, I'd feel pretty stupid walking into a Police Station and telling the person at the desk that,I have a broken nose as I was caught keying someones car.

Just saying.

ReputationRep:
    What sort of area do you live in? Why not park your car outside someone elses house?

Ta

ReputationRep:
    Why don't people these days either go to the Police
    The police are either too scared or too lazy. Or sometimes, there isn't actually anything they can do.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by DancinBallerina)
    x
    Buy a big air-rifle or better yet a shotgun (you'll need a licence for that though) and stake out. If anyone comes onto the drive shout "Get arf moi laand" and fire a warning shot. Works like a charm I think you'll find :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Nearest car park is half an hour away! :/ . . but I was thinking it though? . .
    Put it in a nearby side road?

(Original post by cowleya)
    Put it in a nearby side road?
    I was thinking that but this girls crazy dad was driving up and down our street yesterday morning looking at the cars in the drive; I don't know if he was trying to see if my brother and his car were there or jus eye'ing up what car's are there to vandalise . . . .but I have a feeling he knows what my car looks like and possibly the reg. Although I was thinking of parking it at my neighbours house who have a dog and literally nobody bothers them as they have a dog that barks the min. anyone walks past their drive!! . .

(Original post by KitKatFrench)
    What sort of area do you live in? Why not park your car outside someone elses house?

Ta
    I live in a v v quiet area, full of elderly people and families. In the 18years where we have lived, we have never had any vandalism done to anyone's house down our street.

You've hit the nail on the head; I absolutely love my car. I saved up for it and I thoroughly enjoy driving it. It is a reason why I am absolutely petrified of it being damaged because I really can not be bothered to spend £££ fixing it when my brother had absolutely nowt to do with the vandalism that occurred. The police came round this morning and have given the dad and his daughter a warning and this girls dad is STILL adamant that my brother had something to do with it! :facepalm:.

I sense although the police have given warning, they will prob. let it die down for abit before doing something to us.

ReputationRep:
    You've hit the nail on the head; I absolutely love my car. I saved up for it and I thoroughly enjoy driving it. It is a reason why I am absolutely petrified of it being damaged because I really can not be bothered to spend £££ fixing it when my brother had absolutely nowt to do with the vandalism that occurred. The police came round this morning and have given the dad and his daughter a warning and this girls dad is STILL adamant that my brother had something to do with it! :facepalm:.

I sense although the police have given warning, they will prob. let it die down for abit before doing something to us.
    Well at least you have an idea,who is pathetic enough to do it, if anything does happen at some point.

And this Dad is pretty stupid to put the word out ,he is going to do something. This might mean he is all mouth, as people who do things tend just to do them and not mouth off about it.But then,he sounds an idiot so perhaps he might.He sounds like the kind of bloke ,who might have a lot of people who would like to vandalise his cars, so perhaps he should look at other people as well as your brother.Perhaps he wants it be your family as he thinks he can get away with doing something.

And now the Police know about it, they will know who's door to knock if anything does happen.

And bodywork costs a bomb for it done right, I totally get you.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.