Anyone ever considered moving abroad? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Cortez
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Because i really want to go and live in Majorca. I mean, i could leave and go tommorow but i theres no chance i would be able to get by with finding somewhere to live and stuff. Im thinking of going after i finish my degree so if i ever get bored of living there i could always move back and get a decent job.

Does anyone know any useful sites about moving abroad?
unfinished sympathy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i moved abroad with my parents last year, and it's brilliant, life in spain is so much nicer than in England I recommend it 100%. just for the experience, you don't need any advice, if you want to do it you will, just go over there, and look for a job- it's majorca there's bound to be lots of holidays jobs- but remember that majorca closes down in the winter
Agrippina
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
My bf and I are considering moving to Ireland, and possibly New Zealand one day. I'm just worried about upsetting my family, and also starting my own family abroad where I have no friends/not familiar with the system!
erk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
My family used to live abroad, so yes, i think it about it most of the time. I even considered not going to uni and moving away - i still am considering/don't know whther uni is for me! BUt yea, when i've finished, ill be straight over there.. i know quite a few people too.
Cortez
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mrs. Political)
i moved abroad with my parents last year, and it's brilliant, life in spain is so much nicer than in England I recommend it 100%. just for the experience, you don't need any advice, if you want to do it you will, just go over there, and look for a job- it's majorca there's bound to be lots of holidays jobs- but remember that majorca closes down in the winter
Was it hard finding jobs? Could you speak spanish before you went?
Tyler Durden
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I would quite like to live abroad. It depends on what job I am doing obviously, but I think the way people work and the location they work in will become more flexible. Maybe Europe or perhaps further afield. I'm staying near Paris at the moment, great wine, swimming pool, sunshine etc - pretty great.
Cortez
Rep:
?
Can you get broadband in Spain? and if you can, how does the cost compare to the UK?
nikk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Cortez)
I mean, i could leave and go tommorow
I doubt you could unless you already have a permanent visa sorted out!

In answer to your question, once I am qualified, I intend on applying for a permanent visa to live in Alaska. It is the most beautiful place I have ever seen and the lifestyle suited me well.
GerardT
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Oh, I cant WAIT to get out of this god-foresaken place (North Ireland). It's just annoying that it's almost impossible to get a green card for the states anymore short of marrying some american chick, and Australia is just too remote
Cortez
Rep:
?
Im getting prepared early - soy aprender español (that should be, im learning spanish )
Stick Man
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I considered going to the US for uni, but like most of my plans, it faded away due to.. well, nothing really.
unfinished sympathy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Can you get broadband in Spain? and if you can, how does the cost compare to the UK?
yeah, it's called ADSL, and is around £48, which is expensive in comparison with England
unfinished sympathy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Was it hard finding jobs? Could you speak spanish before you went?
you can find jobs, but they're not well paid, i didn't speak fluent spanish, and still don't. i can get by, and if i had a job i would learn faster, but most jobs need you to speak some spanish, and another. but if you were willing to be a holiday rep, you only need english and basic spanish, plus accomodation is free
Two Tone
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'd love to live in/around Amsterdam for a little while. It's such a great place.
Cortez
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mrs. Political)
you can find jobs, but they're not well paid, i didn't speak fluent spanish, and still don't. i can get by, and if i had a job i would learn faster, but most jobs need you to speak some spanish, and another. but if you were willing to be a holiday rep, you only need english and basic spanish, plus accomodation is free
The staff that worked at the bar on my last holiday didnt get paid much but their food and accomidation was free so i guess its not that bad.
yo-less
Report 13 years ago
as i live in Sri Lanka,yes,as there are better educational oppurtunities abroad
unfinished sympathy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The staff that worked at the bar on my last holiday didnt get paid much but their food and accomidation was free so i guess its not that bad.
well, i live near benidorm, but the town is nearer javea, these towns and my town are busy during hol times, it's rare to receive accomodation if you work in a bar. i asked my mum, and she said that Majorca is really expensive, have you considered living in mainland spain, which is much cheaper
username21537
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i considered going to a foreign university but not a permanent move. I wont do it now though becasue i wont be able to afford it at all...:bawling:
prospector60
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
ive lived abroad for 13 years (in bahrain) now and it has its ups and downs.

In england i think 'the system' and the place as a whole is much better. for example construction workers here get payed less than 90 pounds a month for working more than 12 hours a day 6 days a week in the summer heat where temperature can reach more than 50 degrees!!!!

BUT if your working at a high level executive position you get a tax free salary, company cars, your accommodation and childrens school fees are paid for. and thats what attracts so many european and american people to come and live here. also your nationality makes a big differnce on how much you earn. for example british, europeans, americans earn alot more than indians!!!!

i think living abroad can be fun and interesting but it really depends where you live....now who wants to live in saudi????
unfinished sympathy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by prospector60)
ive lived abroad for 13 years (in bahrain) now and it has its ups and downs.

In england i think 'the system' and the place as a whole is much better. for example construction workers here get payed less than 90 pounds a month for working more than 12 hours a day 6 days a week in the summer heat where temperature can reach more than 50 degrees!!!!

BUT if your working at a high level executive position you get a tax free salary, company cars, your accommodation and childrens school fees are paid for. and thats what attracts so many european and american people to come and live here. also your nationality makes a big differnce on how much you earn. for example british, europeans, americans earn alot more than indians!!!!

i think living abroad can be fun and interesting but it really depends where you live....now who wants to live in saudi????
you've got me thinking now- hmmmmm! Saudi suddenly sounds very attractive
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (68)
19.43%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (144)
41.14%
Nope, not that interesting (138)
39.43%

Watched Threads