Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...-asker-guesser
    The advice of etiquette experts on dealing with unwanted invitations, or overly demanding requests for favours, has always been the same: just say no. That may have been a useless mantra in the war on drugs, but in the war on relatives who want to stay for a fortnight, or colleagues trying to get you to do their work, the manners guru Emily Post's formulation – "I'm afraid that won't be possible" – remains the gold standard. Excuses merely invite negotiation. The comic retort has its place (Peter Cook: "Oh dear, I find I'm watching television that night"), and I'm fond of the tautological non-explanation ("I can't, because I'm unable to"). But these are variations on a theme: the best way to say no is to say no. Then shut up.

This is a lesson we're unable to learn, however, judging by the scores of books promising to help us. The Power Of A Positive No, How To Say No Without Feeling Guilty, The Book Of No... Publishers, certainly, seem unable to refuse. (Two recent books addressing the topic are Marshall Goldsmith's Mojo, and Womenomics, by Claire Shipman and Katty Kay.) This is the "disease to please" – a phrase that doesn't make grammatical sense, but rhymes, giving it instant pop-psychology cachet. There are certainly profound issues here, of self-esteem, guilt etcetera. But it's also worth considering whether part of the problem doesn't originate in a simple misunderstanding between two types of people: Askers and Guessers.

This terminology comes from a brilliant web posting by Andrea Donderi that's achieved minor cult status online. We are raised, the theory runs, in one of two cultures. In Ask culture, people grow up believing they can ask for anything – a favour, a pay rise– fully realising the answer may be no. In Guess culture, by contrast, you avoid "putting a request into words unless you're pretty sure the answer will be yes… A key skill is putting out delicate feelers. If you do this with enough subtlety, you won't have to make the request directly; you'll get an offer. Even then, the offer may be genuine or pro forma; it takes yet more skill and delicacy to discern whether you should accept."

Neither's "wrong", but when an Asker meets a Guesser, unpleasantness results. An Asker won't think it's rude to request two weeks in your spare room, but a Guess culture person will hear it as presumptuous and resent the agony involved in saying no. Your boss, asking for a project to be finished early, may be an overdemanding boor – or just an Asker, who's assuming you might decline. If you're a Guesser, you'll hear it as an expectation. This is a spectrum, not a dichotomy, and it explains cross-cultural awkwardnesses, too: Brits and Americans get discombobulated doing business in Japan, because it's a Guess culture, yet experience Russians as rude, because they're diehard Askers.

Self-help seeks to make us all Askers, training us to both ask and refuse with relish; the mediation expert William Ury recommends memorising "anchor phrases" such as "that doesn't work for me". But Guessers can take solace in logic: in many social situations (though perhaps not at work) the very fact that you're receiving an anxiety-inducing request is proof the person asking is an Asker. He or she is half-expecting you'll say no, and has no inkling of the torture you're experiencing. So say no, and see what happens. Nothing will.
    Interesting life philosophy.

ReputationRep:
    Good thread, but you should've made a poll.

I'm a bit of both, but possibly more of a guesser because I'm always thinking deep into things and judging situations.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting. I'm definitely more of a guesser.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely a guesser.

I guess most of TSR will be guesser, too.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    tl;dr :yawn:

But I'm a guesser, you're more likely to achieve what you want with patience & thought

Also the 'when askers meet guessers' situation seems very familiar, although some people are just rude whatever name and theory you give them :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    An asker.

guesser here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    Definitely a guesser.

I guess most of TSR will be guesser, too.
    Love the irony :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Guesser and proud

ReputationRep:
    TLDR: A guesser.

ReputationRep:
    Asker, and I wish more people were.

It does piss me off something rotten if somebody takes without asking first though.

ReputationRep:
    That was a really interesting article - I'm definitely a guesser

ReputationRep:
    Guesser

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm a guesser :/

ReputationRep:
    I'm a guesser.

ReputationRep:
    Somewhere in between. I'll be subtle but if I really am in need of something (for example, let's say I forgot my pens for an exam) and I don't think they're going to offer I'll just ask. Same if I don't have much time.

ReputationRep:
    Guesser.

ReputationRep:
    Bit of both. I do have a habit of inviting myself round friends houses, so that's an Asker thing to do. But at work I am generally a Guesser and try to take everything at face value for fear of people thinking I'm not pulling my weight. I certainly wouldn't second-guess my boss if he asked me to do something.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by near_comatose)
    you're a ******* tit
    :poke: hey nc, what's your problem with my post? :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    A guesser. I cannot make a decision if it affects anyone else, even in the smallest way. I also can't say no - if someone asks me to do something, I have to do it.

• create my feed
  • edit my feed
Poll
Do you have a role model?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.