The Student Room Group

how to successfully chat up a girl... [girls...what do you think!?]

Hey people,

Basically, after weeks of wimping out, I finally took a chance and spoke to a girl that I like.
The conversation appeared to go well, she was smiling a lot, and told me that she'll be coming in more often.
So now that i've made the first step, how do I continue things? Obviously I didn't ask for her number or anything because I thought that would appear a bit strange.

I just want this to be a success, and any advice would be great!

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Just talk to her normally, engage in an interesting conversation, have a laugh or two...its more genuine and personal than generic chat up lines.
Reply 2
So, i kind of know what she's into from our last convo...maybe I could talk about that...
Reply 3
Lol @ wanting girls advice when it comes to chatting up a girl though, most of them don't know what they want.

Just talk to her again make some nice pleasant conversation and when you do get the courage to ask her number make sure you give a reason for wanting it. Like don't just say 'can I have your number so we can talk some time?' be more like 'Do you wanna exchange numbers so we could go for a coffee some time?' I'm not a big fan of cinema dates but you could bring up in the conversation a movie you wanna see and if she shows interest in it then suggest that you exchange numbers and go see it together.
Reply 4
I disagree with the above post coming straight on a friendship vibe will make you end up in the friendzone. You have to be slightly flirty but obviously not too much or it has the potential of getting awkward for the girl.

By just asking her loads of questions it will become like a interview for her, that ain't fun.
Reply 5
be calm and collected and confident. let the conversation flow, she'll be much more impressed with you if you have natural organic conversation with her than if you use cheesy lines. smile alot and make eye contact and pretend to be interested in her chitter. you'll be fine.
Have an insightful conversation with her.

Find out what her family is like, what she believes in, who she voted for and why, what her goals are.

It'll open her up and bring you two a million miles closer than any clown waving his penis at her could.
Reply 7
"See you in Zurich" :wink:
Reply 8
'Get in the boot.'
Reply 9
A mix of serious conversation and teasing, find excuses to touch her like pokes or tickles or hugs or rearranging her hair.
Reply 10
show off that you can make a guide about how to chat them up on the internet.
Reply 11
jumpingjesusholycow
Have an insightful conversation with her.

Find out what her family is like, what she believes in, who she voted for and why, what her goals are.

It'll open her up and bring you two a million miles closer than any clown waving his penis at her could.

Didn't your mother ever tell you to never talk about religion or politics on the first date?
Ebbson
Didn't your mother ever tell you to never talk about religion or politics on the first date?

I don't see why not :o:

Why? Is that too risque? The "G" word :p: Perhaps a few weeks of generic small talk really is indeed better than trying to find out about who she is :rolleyes:
Reply 13
jumpingjesusholycow
I don't see why not :o:

Why? Is that too risque? The "G" word :p: Perhaps a few weeks of generic small talk really is indeed better than trying to find out about who she is :rolleyes:

I dunno.. I think there's a middle ground. I mean, people can get very wound up in those conversations. Gives a bit of friction, particularly if there are strong differences in views. Though if you get to know someone better first and build a connection then it's possible to look past any strong differences in religion or politics.

But yeah, anything but endless smalltalk... :p:
Ebbson
I dunno.. I think there's a middle ground. I mean, people can get very wound up in those conversations. Gives a bit of friction, particularly if there are strong differences in views. Though if you get to know someone better first and build a connection then it's possible to look past any strong differences in religion or politics.

But yeah, anything but endless smalltalk... :p:

Lol at what point did I suggest not building a connection and a rapport first? :p: The OP was looking for progression on what he already had and in my opinion, the best way to do this is through insight (unless she finds the guy hilarious, in which case you're pretty much straight in between the legs). Of course there's balance, but there's there's nothing better than a bit of good conversation :yep: And good conversation is fluid, versatile, insightful and light. I wasn't encouraging the OP to interrogate her.

Although your response is pretty typical anyway :/ Most girls lack the substance or depth to have a conversation that might be remotely linked to any meaningful talk :nothing: Girls want clowns tbh :dontknow:
Reply 15
Make it obvious that you like her but for heavens sake don't constantly flirt. Just chat and joke about with her
Reply 16
jumpingjesusholycow
Lol at what point did I suggest not building a connection and a rapport first? :p: The OP was looking for progression on what he already had and in my opinion, the best way to do this is through insight (unless she finds the guy hilarious, in which case you're pretty much straight in between the legs). Of course there's balance, but there's there's nothing better than a bit of good conversation :yep: And good conversation is fluid, versatile, insightful and light. I wasn't encouraging the OP to interrogate her.

Although your response is pretty typical anyway :/ Most girls lack the substance or depth to have a conversation that might be remotely linked to any meaningful talk :nothing: Girls want clowns tbh :dontknow:

Yeah.. all I meant was that I think it's risky to use such edgey topics to build a friendship/relationship at an early stage, as I thought you were suggesting
Ebbson
Yeah.. all I meant was that I think it's risky to use such edgey topics to build a friendship/relationship at an early stage, as I thought you were suggesting

Politics and Religion are only edgy because people make it edgy. With sincerity and the capacity to understand, they're great topics to use to learn about people, although as you rightly pointed out, they wouldn't be suitable for icebreakers, which is not what I was saying anyway.
jumpingjesusholycow

pua alert!!!!!!!! radar is going wild!
9MmBulletz
pua alert!!!!!!!! radar is going wild!

Are you implying that I'm a pickup artist? :lolwut:

or.....sarcasm? :/

Latest

Trending

Trending