How the Egyptians Spoke. Allegedly.

Watch
Martyn*
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
The video below is the Tale of Sinuhe spoken in the original Egyptian language (Kemet). Although we still don't know how the Egyptians spoke their language, this interpretation is supposed to be the closest we can imagine it sounding.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=11375670036#!/video/video.php?v=401146753754&oid=113 75670036

It is somewhat similar to the transcript of the Egyptian language which was used in some of the scenes of the Mummy Returns when Ankhesenamun greets Imhotep for the first time:

Iy anakh Anakh-su-namun iniset sif simini.

(transl. I am Anank-su-namun reincarnated)
Ludwig Wittgenstein
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
crap film
Mustaine
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
Wow, that's pretty amazing! I wonder how accurate it is though.. do you know what they based the interpretation on?
username163092
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
They did have an egyptologist to make sure that it was as accurate as they knew in the film (as we don't fully know after all). Of course how we think it's spoken could be wrong but this is the closest we can get right now and that's partly why it interests me.
Tefhel
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Pretty cool actually.
Stressworthy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Wow, that's pretty cool. Almost makes me wish I was studying Ancient History.
Best Superlative
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Nice dramatisation by the guy reading it xD

I've always been curious about how the Ancient Egyptians spoke their language; hieroglyphics look confusing. I'm sorta glad this isn't common knowledge anyway because it would make my "Eye - Man Standing Sideways - Feather - Feather - Foot - Ankh" jokes a lot less funny :x
AliciaJ703
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you were alive during the ancient Egyptian Civilization you would have been a slave OP. :rolleyes:
Martyn*
Rep:
?
(Original post by AliciaJ703)
If you were alive during the ancient Egyptian Civilization you would have been a slave OP. :rolleyes:
The Egyptians never kept slaves except if they were foreign captives during war time.
AliciaJ703
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Martyn*)
The Egyptians never kept slaves except if they were foreign captives during war time.
Yes they did.
Martyn*
Rep:
?
(Original post by AliciaJ703)
Yes they did.
True slavery in the Classical sense of the word seems to have been rare in Egypt before the Ptolemaic period (332BCE).

Attempts to analyse the use of slaves in ancient Egyptian society have often been thwarted by problems of definition and translation...

Dictionary of Ancient Egypt, British Museum.

In my opinion Egyptians never kept slaves except if they were prisoners of war; they kept serfs who were willing to work, to do house chores and farm the land for wealthy owners. Evidence suggests they were well treated and the serfs had their own houses. Many serfs were farmers of the land and would offer their service (as serfs) to wealthy individuals to help keep the running of the home or to do jobs.

The notion popularly perceived from the Old Testament that the Egyptians were ruthless task masters who enforced their own people to slave labour is without foundation.
Ta92
Report 10 years ago
^Completely agree i bet some people still believe that Hebrew slaves built the pyramids.
J_Kean22
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Hi Martyn,I tried clicking on your facebook link but it didn't work. Is there another way for me to get access to this video or other spoken Kemet recordings?Thanks.Jeremy
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
thread from yesteryear
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (17)
13.71%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (30)
24.19%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (53)
42.74%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (20)
16.13%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
3.23%

Watched Threads