The Student Room Group

Standardised Medical Survey

Kind of off-topic to medical courses, but there isn't particularly an appropriate forum.

Was wondering if any med students know of a decent standardised/academic medical/health survey that can be used in field work suitable for the global south? (E.g. documenting basic things from BMI, nutrition, blood pressure, sanitation to infectious disease). I'm sure I could put one together myself, but it would be nice to find one that has been tested for internal and external validity that I can adapt. This is basically for assessing a local population for health needs.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, would be much appreciated. Will rep.

Cheers,
GSG
Reply 1
I would have thought the WHO would use such a thing if that gives a starting point for trawling.

The next place I might rummage would be some public health papers and see what forms they used for data collection.
Reply 2
I'm not really sure if it's what you're after, but there's the WHO's International Classification of Disease that you could maybe adapt into something workable?

Link
There are a few ongoing studies looking at pulling together information like that as part of research into prenatal causes of health and disease - ie. how your parents and grandparents lives could influence your health in later years. There's the Developmental Origins of Health and Disease Centre (DOHaD) in Southampton that was the first centre of it's kind, which builds on the Isle of Wight study which was a massive cohort study of general health of the population and follow up studies of their children and the Southampton Women's Survery which did the same thing in a different area. I know that Norway has a similar thing where they have pooled general health records with tax records and the census so they could look at the quality of life for correlations between that and health. There was also one done when the wall came down in Germany, to see what effect a Western and Eastern parental lifestyle had on the children which grew up in a unified German environment. Sorry I can't be more specific, and it might not even be what you're looking for, but it's another avenue to consider which may have the sort of data you're looking for.
ilovehotchocolate
There are a few ongoing studies looking at pulling together information like that as part of research into prenatal causes of health and disease - ie. how your parents and grandparents lives could influence your health in later years. There's the Developmental Origins of Health and Disease Centre (DOHaD) in Southampton that was the first centre of it's kind, which builds on the Isle of Wight study which was a massive cohort study of general health of the population and follow up studies of their children and the Southampton Women's Survery which did the same thing in a different area. I know that Norway has a similar thing where they have pooled general health records with tax records and the census so they could look at the quality of life for correlations between that and health. There was also one done when the wall came down in Germany, to see what effect a Western and Eastern parental lifestyle had on the children which grew up in a unified German environment. Sorry I can't be more specific, and it might not even be what you're looking for, but it's another avenue to consider which may have the sort of data you're looking for.

Thanks! But I'm not looking for data, I'm looking for a health survey used in fieldwork to collect that kind of data.

Phalanges
I'm not really sure if it's what you're after, but there's the WHO's International Classification of Disease that you could maybe adapt into something workable?

Link

Hmm.. I've had a browse through this before, but its much too detailed; I'm looking for something more general in regards to health and symptoms.

terpineol

The next place I might rummage would be some public health papers and see what forms they used for data collection.

Yeah this was the plan of action really, was just hoping someone knew of a resource that would save the leg work.

Thanks all for the help. Will rep over next few days.

Latest

Trending

Trending