This discussion is closed.
G4ry
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
After being on this forum for a while i have noticed a few flaws with the rep system and i have also suggested ways of improving it. So here are the problems:

1) Rep can only be given out once a day to only one user.
2) Some users with very high numbers of posts are less willing to give out rep as they may not feel that a rep-worthy post is worth 20+ points.
3) Rep which is not used on one day is lost, this sometimes leads to people starting threads to hand out rep to the first person that replies. This abuses the rep system, it's no better than startingup threads asking for rep.

So here are some improvements i thought up of:

1) When giving rep you can choose how many rep points you can allocate to the person. (This is limited by the number of rep points the person has). This means that they can give out rep to more than one person in a day, should they choose to "ration" their rep.
2) A banking system, so that rep is carried over to the next day. Although this will have to be limited to a certain number of points, to prevent a mass build up of points.
Dude
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
why are u that bothered. they are only little green squares next to ur post count.
G4ry
Rep:
?
I'm not especially bothered, i just thought i could make an improvement for the common good. Other people are very bothered about rep you'll find.
sean
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Dude)
why are u that bothered. they are only little green squares next to ur post count.
very true whats the deal is it that important 2 ya
Dude
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
some people just think that it's really important.
sean
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Dude)
some people just think that it's really important.
well each 2 there own i guess
Dude
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by sean)
well each 2 there own i guess
suppose so.
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
There's been so much discussion about this in the past.

The problem is the limitations of the vBulletin software. It can't do banking or selective amounts of rep.
Ollie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
can you hack vb to add code to do that?? cos i cant and i havent written any coding like that!
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ollie)
can you hack vb to add code to do that?? cos i cant and i havent written any coding like that!
Isn't vB commercial software? Don't you think the people who make it might listen to us if we suggested this as an addition to the software?
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
After being on this forum for a while i have noticed a few flaws with the rep system and i have also suggested ways of improving it. So here are the problems:

1) Rep can only be given out once a day to only one user.
2) Some users with very high numbers of posts are less willing to give out rep as they may not feel that a rep-worthy post is worth 20+ points.
3) Rep which is not used on one day is lost, this sometimes leads to people starting threads to hand out rep to the first person that replies. This abuses the rep system, it's no better than startingup threads asking for rep.

So here are some improvements i thought up of:

1) When giving rep you can choose how many rep points you can allocate to the person. (This is limited by the number of rep points the person has). This means that they can give out rep to more than one person in a day, should they choose to "ration" their rep.
2) A banking system, so that rep is carried over to the next day. Although this will have to be limited to a certain number of points, to prevent a mass build up of points.
Well yeah, thats sort of a good idea. Because sometimes you want to rep people who have made a good point in a discussion, been helpful etc. And there are usually a few people all making these points, offering help etc, and either you have to write a list of people to rep over a few days (or weeks, as they stack up), or just forget about it and not bother repping them at all.
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Iluvatar)
Well yeah, thats sort of a good idea. Because sometimes you want to rep people who have made a good point in a discussion, been helpful etc. And there are usually a few people all making these points, offering help etc, and either you have to write a list of people to rep over a few days (or weeks, as they stack up), or just forget about it and not bother repping them at all.
yeah

And if you don't see a rep-worthy post then you just have to give it to anyone, if you just leave it it'll go to waste.

And there are friends who like to give rep to each other.
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)
yeah

And if you don't see a rep-worthy post then you just have to give it to anyone, if you just leave it it'll go to waste.

And there are friends who like to give rep to each other.
Good points. But in the end they are only little green/grey/red squares.
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
In the end, we all die.
Its easy to dismiss things as small, but in the end, we are all small as well.
So what does it matter that these small things called people care about other small things, called coloured squares?
G4ry
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sire)
Just thought it may improve the system. But the system has become tainted now unfortunately.

How come i lost about 5 posts just out of interest, i haven't been spamming or anything :confused:
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
Just thought it may improve the system. But the system has become tainted now unfortunately.

How come i lost about 5 posts just out of interest, i haven't been spamming or anything :confused:
A moderator most likely deleted a thread in which you had 5 posts. I lost about 20 once when that happened. Lord Huntroyde lost about 30 and went on his anger fuelled spamming spree. It happens. Like the gems nothing major. Though I do agree with your idea for improving the system. Yet have you thought of moderated rep. All rep requests to go through a moderator, and they give a set amount of rep, yet also based on what the user recommends, and taking into account the users post rate. It could work rather well if you added that.
G4ry
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sire)
Yet have you thought of moderated rep. All rep requests to go through a moderator, and they give a set amount of rep, yet also based on what the user recommends, and taking into account the users post rate. It could work rather well if you added that.
Someone suggested a rep moderator before, and i thought this take up too much of the moderator's time, and every time you want to give rep to someone, it has to be justified to the moderator - who may not agree, even if you felt the person's post was of use. It's all very unlikely to happen anyway - so probably not worth discussing further.
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
Someone suggested a rep moderator before, and i thought this take up too much of the moderator's time, and every time you want to give rep to someone, it has to be justified to the moderator - who may not agree, even if you felt the person's post was of use. It's all very unlikely to happen anyway - so probably not worth discussing further.
true, but then again some of the best ideas throughout history were never really worth discussing. *shrugs*
kissmequick
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
People don't use it for the correct purpose it's used as was said by fish between mates but the negative rep is used as a way of fighting and screwing one another over it just generates tension and fights people start accusing other ppl of giving neg rep its stupid. It's a study forum for help and sometimes general chit chat about issues in the world but its been degraded to a kiddies forum
G4ry
Rep:
?
When there is talk of the rep system being revised i'll contribute some ideas, but for now i can't see anything in the near future happening with it.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (89)
21.76%
No (320)
78.24%

Watched Threads