Mobile (vans) Speed Cameras Watch

mfraser
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi

I was driving along a Dual Carriageway (70mph) today at 82 and noticed a speed camera van about 300m away, and hit the brakes and about 100m left I was down at 70.

The camera didn't flash; I'm wondering if they usually flash? Do you think I've been caught?
nnnomi
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
... if it didn't flash you haven't been caught

because you were going at the correct speed

duhh
mfraser
Rep:
?
(Original post by nnnomi)
... if it didn't flash you haven't been caught

because you were going at the correct speed

duhh
I hope you are correct, but I'm not sure (why I'm asking here)... I know rear facing fixed cameras flash (I think they are called GATSOs) but I'm not sure about the forward facing (which I went passed).
GapYear01
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The mobile ones dont flash (I dont think) & the distance I think you will be ok because the range of the fixed speed camera isn't that long so I doubt that the mobile ones will be. Well thats what im hoping seeing as had the same experience yesterday:P
SouthernFreerider
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
..why do some people bother posting if they dont kniow what they're talking about?

not all speed cameras flash. the big orange stationary ones (GATSOs) flash you from behind.

handheld ones dont.

the very newest forward facing ones dont.

ive no idea what they use in the mobile vans.
Steeps
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
at 300m you've probably already been caught unless it was very busy. Enjoy your 2 week wait to see if the postie delivers you a present
Starless Eyes
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The mobile units do not need a flash for enforcement during daylight hours. Apparently.

My guess would be you've been caught.
Arekkusu
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
In future just look for the signs, they're only supposed to position vans to catch cars speeding between the signs.
Steeps
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Arekkusu)
In future just look for the signs, they're only supposed to position vans to catch cars speeding between the signs.
Supposed to yes, however they don't have to. Common places also include recently changed zones (i.e 60 down to 40) as an easy cash earner.
mfraser
Rep:
?
I don't know if this will change anything. Anyway, there was a car in the other (inside) lane to me... can these cameras track two cars at once?
one to one
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The hand held laser ones are accurate up to 800 metres.
The vans likewise, however measurements are taken much closer.
Vans will also have video, which records constantly.
If you were travelling at an indicated speed of 82 mph you were probably travelling at a true speed nearer to 78mph, slightly lower if the tyres on your driving wheels are near the legal minimum.
Whether you get a summons / dealt with by the fixed penallty system depends on what threshold speed the operator has programmed into the system. If this follows ACPO (Association of Chief Police Officers) guidelines of 10% + 2 mph ie in your case 79mph, you may just get away with it.
No these camara's can't track 2 cars at once, however they could check both your speeds at different times, so both of you could have been caught. From what you say it is likely that both of you have.
Either way, that's not the point. Will you learn from this, only you will know?
CJN
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My dad got caught by a speed van that didnt flash because it had a video camera, in very similar circumstances to you - he was also a long way away.
Walter Ego
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
http://www.ukspeedcameras.co.uk/guide.htm

14 days of worry
BackDoorEntry
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
"Police and civilian operators will use laser guns on vehicles when they come within a kilometre of the bridges. Under the rules governing mobile cameras, the vans must be visible from 100 metres. But most drivers will be caught long before they come within that range."

timesonline
aeonflux
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think you'll be alright. The speedo on your car is typically only 10% accurate, so at reading of 82mph it's unlikely you'll have been doing more than 74mph, which you are unlikely to get a ticket for.
1992LP
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You will only get a ticket at 10% + 2 over the limit (79 mph) and most car's speedo's are a few mph out.

That, coupled with the fact you were far away and slowed down means I highly doubt you will get a ticket.

You should be fine
eku1s
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Did you ever get a ticket for this?
mfraser
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by eku1s)
Did you ever get a ticket for this?
This is a blast from the past!

Unfortunately, yes I did. Got caught doing 87 in a 70 - 3 points and a £60 fine!
Rybee
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
lol @ bump thread. That sucks though!
FubbyTucker
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by 1992LP)
You will only get a ticket at 10% + 2 over the limit
Sorry, but that's not true. It's a misconception that it is the law, but it's only an ACPO recommendation which forces do not need to adhere to.
There are 3 points on my licence for a 43mph in a 40 endorsement that prove this.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (125)
13.23%
Excited (90)
9.52%
Worried (182)
19.26%
Terrified (213)
22.54%
Meh (71)
7.51%
Confused (26)
2.75%
Putting on a brave face (118)
12.49%
Impatient (120)
12.7%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise