Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

"If a dog born in a stable, it doesn't make it a horse" Watch

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else think this is a stupid argument towards the decision of British/English people? I have heard it so many times when people talk about black or Asian people.

What are your thoughts on immigration, and what is your attitude towards "foreigners" in Britain?

I don't have a specific question to ask, but my thread is basically about all this controversy surrounding immigration, "foreigners", etc.

EDIT: The title is supposed to be, "If a dog is born in a stable, does that make it a horse". I misspelt

ReputationRep:
    Its stupid because its not accurate. A more correct version would be:

"If a white horse is born in stable of black horses, is it still a horse?"

To which the answer is yes.

ReputationRep:
    Can a white person be Japanese or Nigerian? What would the Japanese/Nigerians say to me if I told them everybody could migrate to their countries and be just as native to their country as they are?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakujo)

this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Dissentient View)
    Can a white person be Japanese or Nigerian? What would the Japanese/Nigerians say to me if I told them everybody could migrate to their countries and be just as native to their country as they are?
    Well seeing as "Nigerian" is not an ethnicity and is merely a nationality I would assume a white person could be Nigerian

ReputationRep:
    It takes more than a piece of paper to become a different nationality. If you don't look British I will always ask where you are from, even if you are a second generation immigrant and fully British, I'll still assume you're foreign.

ReputationRep:
    that is a poorly constructed statement. it suggests that people of different ethnicity are of different species altogether. Dumb.

ReputationRep:
    I think the point of that argument is for people that are, for example, Indian, and say 'I'm English'. Well they aren't... they're Indian. They may legally be British citizens but doesn't make you English, or even British.
    There's someone at my school who says this, he's Indian and from Dubai, yet says he's English. He's not talking about legal status or whatever either. Not the first foreign person I've heard saying stuff like this.

ReputationRep:
    It is a stupid quote, because animals can't change what what type of animal they are, but humans are very susceptible to changes in culture, surroundings etc. Like, if one of us moved to France fo 20 years by the end of it you'd feel just as at home in France as you would in the UK, if not more so.

And as for foreigners living in the UK, ofcourse it isn't a problem. At the end of the day we're all the same, we're all human beings, and nationalities really aren't important in any way. Quite frankly we should all have more important things to worry about than where your neighbour is from etc

ReputationRep:
    If a white person is born there (or is brought up there/moves there) and considers themselves to be Japanese or Nigerian then yes. Being a certain colour does not automatically make you part of a certain nationality.

ReputationRep:

It's not about whether immigrants are still human, as your version suggests.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the saying. If I was born in Pakistan, would that make me Pakistani? By law, it probably would, but I wouldn't be ethnically Pakistani.

Just because you have a bit of paper that says your British doesn't make you British.

ReputationRep:
    An Indian born in England is British but not English. Mainly because English is an ethnicity and British is a nationality. It's perfectly possible to change your nationality and adopt different ones based on where you live or where you were born; it's not possible to change your ethnicity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi)
    Well seeing as "Nigerian" is not an ethnicity and is merely a nationality I would assume a white person could be Nigerian
    Would they accept me not only as one of their own, but also view me as having the exact same right to Nigeria as they do?

ReputationRep:
    The way I would answer this is, I am a British citizen, because I was born in this country and have lived here all my life. However, I am of Nigerian origin. I think that's the way to put it?

ReputationRep:
    Would they accept me not only as one of their own, but also view me as having the exact same right to Nigeria as they do?
    Does it matter? You think of yourself as superior to them either way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ManMountain92)
    I agree with the saying. If I was born in Pakistan, would that make me Pakistani? By law, it probably would, but I wouldn't be ethnically Pakistani.

Just because you have a bit of paper that says your British doesn't make you British.
    No one can be ethnically Pakistani, Pakistani isn't an ethnicity it is a nationality and is a multi ethnic country comprised of Pashtuns, Punjabis and various others.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say people are from where-ever they are born, unless they are there very temporary, such as being born on holiday.

If a white horse is born in a barn where the majority of horses are a different colour, it is still of that barn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi)
    No one can be ethnically Pakistani, Pakistani isn't an ethnicity it is a nationality and is a multi ethnic country comprised of Pashtuns, Punjabis and various others.
    Yes you can, its about being part of the indigenous people of that country. By saying anyone can be British you're essentially meaning being British is worthless and any old goon can become British because of a bit of paper that says they are.

ReputationRep:
    Does it matter? You think of yourself as superior to them either way.
    If they recognised that they had a greater right to Nigeria than I do,which they almost certainly would, then in one respect they would be superior to most of the Europeans in this thread.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: June 18, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.