The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Who, in your opinion, would win in a fight out of Shakespeare and Dickens? (Assume that they are both in their prime)
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Shakespeare, without a doubt.

Symun, can you tell me which books we're likely to need straight away and which we could wait a while to get?
Reply 3
I bet Dickens could sock a punch but.. Shakespeare, most definitely. Ok, Keats or Noel Coward?

Silliness aside, hello to fellow English geeks. I just bought the Riverside Shakespeare secondhand today (£25) and if the size of the tome's anything to go by, Dickens would be dead before the first bell. Otherwise, there's the two volumes of Norton Anthology that my friend's kindly offered to buy at cost from her place of work. Then some other stuff (glossary and language history, Abrams & B-someone-er, and then the introduction to lit theory by Bennett and chum). Argh. So much theory and no storybooks yet!
Reply 4
Clarkey_Berlin
Who, in your opinion, would win in a fight out of Shakespeare and Dickens? (Assume that they are both in their prime)

Slightly relating to that, this morning a friend told me she thought Shakespeare was sexy. I was quite disturbed. :p:

I think I've probably bought a lot of books that I won't need - they just all seemed to be necessary. It's probably how they word it... why couldn't we have just gotten a list? I'm also nervous as heck about starting the course, so I think my brain just thought "read EVERYTHING, then you'll survive!"... I'm not entirely sure where this attack of the jitters has come from, but I'm not liking it much.

So, my questions are... how much harder is the course than A Level, is it hard from the first week of lectures or does it get gradually more difficult, and how easy is it to get help if you think you're screwing up?

I'm a real ray of sunshine this evening... :smile:
Reply 5
i just received the book information in the post the other day..............they don't seriously expect us to read a history of the english language, revise grammar, read shakespeare AND as many epic poems as possible?...do they?
what's everyone planning on doing, and (to anyone who's already been through 1st year), what is actually worth doing? i was thinking of maybe just reading a couple of shakespeare plays and the poems...
also, is it worth buying the shakespeare collected works or is it better just to buy them individually as you encounter them in the course? and are there any good secondhand bookshops in bristol?
Reply 6
Right.

Don't bother buying the Riverside Shakespeare, several tutors ask you to buy individual copies of the plays you will cover in certian editions. If you've already bought it, fair play - you've got a beast of a book for life, but it won'y be fun carrying it around.

To buy before you get here - Yes, both Nortons, though obviously you can't even begin to touch what's in them. If you do decide to, focus on the second one, as it's mainly used for Approaches to Poetry, which is itself mainly later rather than earlier. When they say main poems, they're thinking of the basics; Keats, Milton, Tennyson, Shelly, Browning etc etc etc - basically the big players. The idea is that you know the basic 'canon' (Though you'll soon find out that the idea of the canon is rejected by most academics).

Books to wait for - well, there will be second years willing to sell their grammar ones etc. Also the University bookshop has all the reading lists, so that's not a problem. If it hasn't changed at all, then the reading list will include an enlgish language usage one, which tbh you don't beed - if you have an A at A-level, you should be able to cope (Tutors will kill you if you get basics things wrong. I still hand in essays with 'its' and 'it's' confused, and my tutors quite rightly attack me with sharpened pencils)

Bennet and Royle is a must, since the guy who wrote it is a tutor here. It's not that good, but if you read it through then you learn enough to cover criticism and theory.

As for story books - you'll get a tutor eventually, and can look them up on the website to get your reading lists for you first two units.

Also worth note, you don't do Shakespeare until halfway through the year, so don't stress about reading all the plays.
Reply 7
P.S Shakespeare could kick Dickens's ass
LOL. Okay a serious Eng Lit. question now, Predestination in Macbeth: to what extent does it exist? I was chatting to a (crazily eccentric 62-year-old) down the pub about this yesterday... I don't think I have ever met anyone so wildly intelligent or with such esoteric and arcane knowledge as him, and, after plenty of rambiling, philosophy, analysis, and quotes, he came to the conclusion that there is both predestination and free will. As I was busy serving other people (I work in the pub) at the time, I didn't really hear everything he was saying BUT what I did hear sounded great. He is hard to talk to, and will not repeat anything, and is prone to go for a walk mid-conversation, so there's little hope that I'll hear his musings again... I was wondering if anyone else had heard a similar argument and would be willing to reiterate it for me! The random chap's name is John Fry (as in the Fry family who own Fry chocolates - Turkish Delights etc.), and he quit his PhD program to become a van driver. He's utterly weird but fascinating. He's going to give me a CD of poetry that he has written and he scribed for me a poem about why he hated academia... it was really good; short, too. Well, if anyone can help me re: Macbeth, I'd be grateful.

PS... I reckon Dickens could take the bard, anyday.
Reply 9
Hi everyone,

I did Year 1 English last year at Bristol (I have just changed course but don't be put off-these were for personal aspirations and reasons rather than to do with the course).

You do not need to read any of the books before term starts, although if you want to of course nothing is stopping you. It is not necessary though.
You will only have 6 hours contact time a week (I had Fridays off last year and some of my friends on the course had Thursday and Friday off), so trust me, even with all your outside interests and sports and fresher's shenanigans and part-time jobs (for those of you who want them), you will have plenty of time to read until your eyes are square.

Although I went on a crazy amazon.co.uk spending spree before the start of last academic year, a lot of people buy their books as they go along. Tutors will tell you what books you need to get by which week i.e. my Critical Issues tutor gave us a handout saying which book we were studying each week and most people in my Critical Issues seminar group did just buy them as they went along.

esds1323, I personally wouldn't say the course is harder than A-level but different, if that helps. In some ways it could be harder in that at A-level with all the Assessment Objectives you can have an idea of what to write whereas at degree level it is more open-ended, but then this is the beauty of an English degree! In other ways because it is different from A-level that could make it seem 'harder' because you are unused to it at first, if that makes sense. If you have some talent for the subject, which I am sure you probably do, getting one of 65 places from over 1,500 applications, you shouldn't have a problem.
The first year is also a good time to explore with your essay style -first year marks don't count towards your degree if you're worried about 'playing it safe'.
Some tutors are more helpful than others if you have problems. I obviously don't want to name names up on the internet but if you PM me I can let you know from my own personal experiences of the staff.

xyz 123, there are many second hand book shops in Bristol, especially along Park Street and Cotham Hill which are both near the English Department. I actually have a huge pile of nearly all of Shakespeare's play (single editions, such as Arden) to sell, so if you are interested PM!

Also be prepared for everybody else at university outside English (and Drama I think) to hate you come exam time, and for a barrage of abuse whenever anybody asks you what subject you are doing later in the year after they have heard about the English course having no exams! It's all in good jest though (or so we tell ourselves).

I hope I could be of some use to society by posting this.
If anybody has any questions don't hesitate to ask me!

x

P.S. Oooh...Shakespeare v. Dickens....not sure. I think they could probably both pack a mean punch.
Excellent thread Symun!

Question to all Freshers: Am I the ONLY one who has so far received bugger all from the English department? :confused:
Reply 11
Just their silly welcome-to-English leaflet, which cheered me up for a while. No reading list. What are you lot reading at the mo?
I thought their welcome to English leaflet was great! Really quite witty. It made me laugh anyway. I'm really looking forward to starting, it looks like a good, fun department to be a part of.

Just bought the two Norton Anthologies and the Bennett and Royle. Think I'll have a look through some of the stuff in Norton and read a bit of the B&R before starting. I'm glad I'm getting excited about the course, and not just being in halls and getting really drunk! I was starting to wonder...

Falstaff looks wicked, I must say. I love the idea of a post-essay party, and all the social things they do, and I'd like to be involved in a play. I haven't had much acting experience, so something light-hearted where it's just about having fun sounds perfect for me. :smile:
By the way Ellie, I know you're upset about missing your Cambridge offer, but don't worry! If you're not excited by the time you start at Bristol, we'll cheer you up! Well, I will anyway! :p:

You'll soon see that it was fate. You wanted to go to Bristol anyway, you just didn't know it! You'll have masses more fun in green welly country.
Reply 14
I'm trying to read "The Fairie Queene" by Spenser in one of the anthologies right now... good grief. When they say "epic poem", they don't lie!

Is anyone planning on taking any open units? I didn't even realise we could, but apparently we can in the first year... I'm not sure. Is it just like doing another subject in your free time? I quite fancy picking up spanish again...
Reply 15
yeah i also wanted to take an open unit, not sure what in though! we don't have to register for them before we arrive, do we?
Reply 16
Open units - wahey. Metaphysics, anyone? It's just nextdoor to English, I think..

Thanks Susie, you're already cheering me up. And who can complain about green wellies?! It's funny you say it was fate.. When I told my parents my results, they reiterated what they'd been saying all year. Basically they say I'm not for Cambridge. Which might be a compliment! I am excited now. :smile:
_Ellie
Open units - wahey. Metaphysics, anyone? It's just nextdoor to English, I think..

Thanks Susie, you're already cheering me up. And who can complain about green wellies?! It's funny you say it was fate.. When I told my parents my results, they reiterated what they'd been saying all year. Basically they say I'm not for Cambridge. Which might be a compliment! I am excited now. :smile:

I'm not for Oxford either. :smile:

Also, think about it this way:

University is meant to be the best three years of your life so far; a totally unique and exhilarating experience. It costs exactly the same to go to Bristol as it does to go to Oxford or Cambridge, and yet they only have eight week terms. Which means we get 18 more weeks of uni altogether! They say your university years are over too quickly, and loads of my friends who are already at uni complain that the holidays are too long...

So I guess we have it better in Bristol!
Reply 18
susiemakemeblue
I'm not for Oxford either. :smile:

Also, think about it this way:

University is meant to be the best three years of your life so far; a totally unique and exhilarating experience. It costs exactly the same to go to Bristol as it does to go to Oxford or Cambridge, and yet they only have eight week terms. Which means we get 18 more weeks of uni altogether! They say your university years are over too quickly, and loads of my friends who are already at uni complain that the holidays are too long...

So I guess we have it better in Bristol!

Plus we'll probably be able to have more of a social life at Bristol (yep, I wasn't for Oxford either!)
Reply 19
Lol, you guys come stay with me - I live in Oxford. It's MY city and I'm going to miss it like mad. I will show you the Oxford that no students have the rights to - only cool people.

Man, I am getting stupidly excited about coming to Bristol now. :smile:!

Latest

Trending

Trending