Kate5tar
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
what do you find is the easiest way for revising for Film Studies? I'm doing WJEC Film Studies and so our exam is 2 hours 45 minutes (comprising of 3 sections, section A: World Cinema, in which my topic is 1950's-1970's Japanese Cinema, Section B: Spectatorship topics, where my topic is Popular Film and Emotional Response, and Section C, a single film critique, and we studied Fight Club). However I'm finding it really difficult to revise for this exam, so has anyone got any tips? would be much appreciated.
Kate5tar
Rep:
?
bump
emmah1992
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
Watching the films always a really good way to revise and then focusing on specific scenes for micro analysis, I think more generally it's a good idea to look at your films themes/ style/ genre/ performance/ narrative ect. And make diagrams and then do practice essays (there's some good ones in the text book)

For section A revising the history of the cinema in the region you're focusing on is good

Hope that's helpful!
Kate5tar
Rep:
?
(Original post by emmah1992)
Watching the films always a really good way to revise and then focusing on specific scenes for micro analysis, I think more generally it's a good idea to look at your films themes/ style/ genre/ performance/ narrative ect. And make diagrams and then do practice essays (there's some good ones in the text book)

For section A revising the history of the cinema in the region you're focusing on is good

Hope that's helpful!
We don't have a textbook but thank you
E_Mairead
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I am taking that exam too and it is such a pain to revise for as some of the practice questions are so general and we could get anything, especially for the fight club section and the horror emotional response.

I am studying urban cinema as well and i am just going to watch a few key sequences from each film and make sure i am clear on all the key themes and mise-en-scene elements within the films, but man 2hr 45mins is a long exam lol
Kate5tar
Rep:
?
(Original post by E_Mairead)
I am taking that exam too and it is such a pain to revise for as some of the practice questions are so general and we could get anything, especially for the fight club section and the horror emotional response.

I am studying urban cinema as well and i am just going to watch a few key sequences from each film and make sure i am clear on all the key themes and mise-en-scene elements within the films, but man 2hr 45mins is a long exam lol
do you have any notes on fight club? we were basically just told to read the book of essays "you do not talk about fight club" for that part of the exam and yeah it is my longest exam by far
Racheld25
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've only just done AS film, and passed with a B.
But I found it easy enough without much revision.

Watch the films as much as you can possibly stand, and make notes on all the important scenes, try and remember quotes.

The majority of the exam I found was knowing what language to use.
Make sure you know all the terms for different kinds of lighting, shot, editing, character personalities and how far they are typical. Also think about how gender is represented. Codes and conventions are always a plus with examiners.

Hope that gives some sort of aid?
E_Mairead
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Lasuil)
do you have any notes on fight club? we were basically just told to read the book of essays "you do not talk about fight club" for that part of the exam and yeah it is my longest exam by far
Well it's an odd one, we were given sheets with the idea of masculinity within the film and we have looked at reviews of the film too, that is it tbh as we only get one question specific to fight club and the rest are general it's so strange :s
E_Mairead
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Racheld25)
I've only just done AS film, and passed with a B.
But I found it easy enough without much revision.

Watch the films as much as you can possibly stand, and make notes on all the important scenes, try and remember quotes.

The majority of the exam I found was knowing what language to use.
Make sure you know all the terms for different kinds of lighting, shot, editing, character personalities and how far they are typical. Also think about how gender is represented. Codes and conventions are always a plus with examiners.

Hope that gives some sort of aid?

That is much better than what i said and that is all you can do really
emmah1992
Report 10 years ago
Well it's an odd one, we were given sheets with the idea of masculinity within the film and we have looked at reviews of the film too, that is it tbh as we only get one question specific to fight club and the rest are general it's so strange :s
We did lots on fight club; we looked at lots of the scenes and did micro analysis' of them, we looked at critical reviews and perceptions of Fight Club, how when it was first screened the critical responses were generally negative saying that the film would cause copy-cat violence ect. but then over time the film's gained cult status ect.

we also looked at the different critical approaches (the ones we had to focus on for coursework) e.g. auteur, star/performer, genre, institution, social, political and cultural studies

Hope that's of some use xxx
E_Mairead
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by emmah1992)
We did lots on fight club; we looked at lots of the scenes and did micro analysis' of them, we looked at critical reviews and perceptions of Fight Club, how when it was first screened the critical responses were generally negative saying that the film would cause copy-cat violence ect. but then over time the film's gained cult status ect.

we also looked at the different critical approaches (the ones we had to focus on for coursework) e.g. auteur, star/performer, genre, institution, social, political and cultural studies

Hope that's of some use xxx

Ohhh yes we did something similar in terms of critical reviews but that was about it tbh, thanks
robhall3192
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Shame can;t offer any help on your films, were studying totally different ones!

Section A: Early Cinema - 1895 - 1917
Section B : World Cinema - Power, Poverty, Conflict : La Haine and City Of God
Section C : Auteur study - Almodovar's Talk To Her

Revision Tips :
Watch the films continuously until the exam. Know them inside out , but focus on for example 6 key scenes in each film which covers many different themes and film forms/aspects - they then become universally applicable to any essay answer.

Make lots of notes and actually read them through. Some useful things could be down on paper which you forget you even had wrote.

If anyone is doing the same films as me, what have your key areas of revision been ? The mock we done was rather poor so a bit worried.
E_Mairead
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by robhall3192)
Shame can;t offer any help on your films, were studying totally different ones!

Section A: Early Cinema - 1895 - 1917
Section B : World Cinema - Power, Poverty, Conflict : La Haine and City Of God
Section C : Auteur study - Almodovar's Talk To Her

Revision Tips :
Watch the films continuously until the exam. Know them inside out , but focus on for example 6 key scenes in each film which covers many different themes and film forms/aspects - they then become universally applicable to any essay answer.

Make lots of notes and actually read them through. Some useful things could be down on paper which you forget you even had wrote.

If anyone is doing the same films as me, what have your key areas of revision been ? The mock we done was rather poor so a bit worried.

You did a mock, hmm we didnt have to do that, i am doing the same urban cinema films as you and i am really confident with those, it's just the other 2 sections that i am not, but i agree with your revision tips, good luck people
robhall3192
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You did a mock, hmm we didnt have to do that,
It was really helpful as a lot of people realised they needed to have much more specific depth and analysis of the films and more examples for section C. Also helped with the timing, I had one 2 min break in the middle and just finished in time!

I think it is avaliable on the WJEC website if you want it.
E_Mairead
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It was really helpful as a lot of people realised they needed to have much more specific depth and analysis of the films and more examples for section C. Also helped with the timing, I had one 2 min break in the middle and just finished in time!

I think it is avaliable on the WJEC website if you want it.
Oh blimey that sounds worth it, well i was looking for past papers on WJEC and i couldn't find anything decent.
robhall3192
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
http://www.wjec.co.uk/uploads/publications/5797.pdf

look to about page 15 and thats the paper we done for our mock, its the only specimen of FM4 as its the first year through.
E_Mairead
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
http://www.wjec.co.uk/uploads/publications/5797.pdf

look to about page 15 and thats the paper we done for our mock, its the only specimen of FM4 as its the first year through.

thank you so much
oh we did those questions is class they are really easy id love a mise-en-scene questions lol
Stygian
Report 10 years ago
Hey I'm doing A2 Film Studies too, my topics are Surrealism, Experimental Film and 'Talk to Her', though.

I'm just sort of revising the key themes that they're likely to ask about, and writing practise essays and trying to memorise the way I've written things so that when it comes to the exam I'm not spending ages trying to remember what to write. I thought the exam was 2hrs30mins though so knowing there's an extra 15mins is nice!

I'm just panicking about whether I'll be able to write it all in time There's so much to include.
chad07
Report 10 years ago
A2 Film is a synoptic skills based exam. Basically you should focus your revision on the skills you have been taught in analysing and interpreting films - Mise-en-scene, Mise-en-shot, Narrative form (Classical Narrative?), Genre, Messages and values portrayed. If you can make limited notes on your films with each of these skills your sure to get an A. In your exam, make sure to express your own opinions of the film, and what you learnt... examiners love this in these type of subjects.

hope it helps.
robhall3192
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by chad07)
A If you can make limited notes on your films with each of these skills your sure to get an A.
They don't mark the notes you take therefore its being able to trasnlat e your notes into something the examiner will understand. Often following paths of discussions, without making too many/long tangents from the title.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year will take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (86)
31.5%
Less motivated (187)
68.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed