i'm a terrible driver. :( Watch

Elynnor1811
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
i passed not that long ago but i'm such a bad driver, especially when it comes to reversing. i've hit about 3 bollards/walls in the last week and i've lost all my confidence. i also can't park very well. it's ok normally because i can use a blue badge and park in the big disabled spaces but when i have to parallel park i can't do it. all my friends take the piss about what a **** driver i am as well. urgh.

i was ok after i passed but i lost all confidence when i had a VERY near miss when a child ran into the road and i had to emergency stop/swerve into the other lane. i'm so hesitant to do anything now and end up driving really slowly (which i know is dangerous).

should i go back to my old instructor and have more lessons?.. or do all new drivers make mistakes? anyone in a similar situation? i don't feel confident to be on the roads but i have to drive so it's horrible. i'm starting to hate driving.
Mad Vlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
All drivers, new and old make mistakes. It sounds like you just need someone to help you regain your confidence with driving. Might be worth going back to your old instructor, if nothing else to refresh your skills with manoeuvres because you shouldn't be hitting stationary objects. :erm:
LouboutinLove
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think if you're as worried as you sound a few more lessons would do you some real good, even if it's just to have a reassuring presence who you know isn't going to make fun of you or panic if you do something wrong and it'd probably boost your confidence by miles. I passed just over a year ago now and I felt the same as you, and although I've never actually hit anything I can sympathise! It does get easier, I promise!
RollerBall
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's the peddle on the right, ******* press it.
divine_alive
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I did the same when I learnt driving.. Actually I had no instructor and learnt it by my own.. So kept hitting other cars and walls in the process .. But I did not lose confidence as I had quite ample to begin with.. and now Im more like an expert driver..
LaughingBro
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You're not bad for a girl.
Walter Ego
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Get a man to drive you everywhere and pay him in kind. Failing that, walk, catch a bus, thumb a lift, or stay in bed, but please don't hit my car.
*twinkletoes*
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It will get better honestly. I had a really bad car accident in march where my car got written off and it took me 2.5 months to find a new one. Iv only had it just over a week and im already pretty much back to normal with my driving. Still a bit hesitant at roundabouts and junctions when i cant really see but its fine.

Im sure your not as bad a driver as you think you are and it is harsh for your friends to comment on how bad your driving is cos i know it doesnt help build your confidence. Maybe you could get someone to sit in the car with you for a bit until you feel more confident, or maybe even take pass plus? Just stick with it for a bit and you will find that your confidence improves.

Good luck
x
catherine-x
Report 9 years ago
All drivers make mistakes. It might help you if you got a lesson with your instructor. I passed my test in February and could not park to save my life so i got a lesson with my instructor going over parking and it really helped . All you need is a confidence boost.

Good luck
x-pixie-lottie-x
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
go back have a few more lessons
it cant hurt x
Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Do a pass plus course. You won't learn anything new going back to lessons but a Pass Plus will push you a bit further and you'll get cheaper insurance as a result
Bema
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
atleast your not male, that would be embarrassing.
ems_18
Report 9 years ago
hopefully you will just get better with time, but if not try pass plus, its meant to help improve your driving!
CuteStar*
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Everyone makes mistakes, imo more lessons may help jst to restore some confidence
Gil Gunderson
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
if you go for lessons point out you want to focus on parking perhaps?

ps. Just keep calm when parking, just take it slow rather than worrying about what others are thinking or saying. You will soon gain confidence again.
Oh also I did pass plus and that didn't involve that much parking...mainly just using motorways and paying attention to road signs. haha
charlotte-rose
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by *twinkletoes*)
It will get better honestly. I had a really bad car accident in march where my car got written off and it took me 2.5 months to find a new one. Iv only had it just over a week and im already pretty much back to normal with my driving. Still a bit hesitant at roundabouts and junctions when i cant really see but its fine.
This happened to me but last summer, and I waited four months to get a new car - I haven't even had one bump since - I had a fair few little bumps followed by one big bump in the space of three months with my first car.
It takes time and maturity as well as just being able to pass a test so if you're unsure then take lessons with a different instructor or pass plus
*twinkletoes*
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by charlotte-rose)
This happened to me but last summer, and I waited four months to get a new car - I haven't even had one bump since - I had a fair few little bumps followed by one big bump in the space of three months with my first car.
It takes time and maturity as well as just being able to pass a test so if you're unsure then take lessons with a different instructor or pass plus
Totally agree with this!
thatrollingstone
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You're a woman, we understand.
Kiwiguy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Elynnor1811)
i passed not that long ago but i'm such a bad driver, especially when it comes to reversing. i've hit about 3 bollards/walls in the last week and i've lost all my confidence. i also can't park very well. it's ok normally because i can use a blue badge and park in the big disabled spaces but when i have to parallel park i can't do it. all my friends take the piss about what a **** driver i am as well. urgh.

i was ok after i passed but i lost all confidence when i had a VERY near miss when a child ran into the road and i had to emergency stop/swerve into the other lane. i'm so hesitant to do anything now and end up driving really slowly (which i know is dangerous).

should i go back to my old instructor and have more lessons?.. or do all new drivers make mistakes? anyone in a similar situation? i don't feel confident to be on the roads but i have to drive so it's horrible. i'm starting to hate driving.
it's not that your necessarily a bad driver, it's that your confidence is so shot to **** that you won't be able to drive as well for a while. I nearly t-boned someone at a roundabout (missed by a hair's bredth) when i was learning and literally drove 3 miles further so that roundabout wouldn't be on my route. so either keep driving and just take it a bit slower or go back to the safe, controlled environment with your instructor until it all comes back. but tbf, if your that bad you shouldn't be on the roads, then the decent drivers won't have to spend half their time thinking: what is the retard in front of me gonna do next!
refereematt
Report 9 years ago
lol, some people just take more naturally to driving than others... i never had any problems and passed fairly promptly ect and not had a near miss in a year.

on the other hand, a couple of my mates were like you, one reversed into a mazda ect and the other couldnt park to save his life. but like 3 months on now they are both fine now, just take your time and dont worry about what other people say.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (139)
17.62%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
9.38%
No I am happy with my course choice (464)
58.81%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (112)
14.2%

Watched Threads