Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amie)
    one of the big looks on the catwalk has been classic tailoring to accentuate curves
    I love the sound of this look, but having browsed some magazines, have noticed that they may mean curves on thin women, rather than actual curves. And am not sure I could get away with a pencil skirt anyway :rolleyes:

You're right though, lots more looks to choose from.

ReputationRep:
    Don't have a clue.

ReputationRep:
    According to this copy of New Woman I have..

'Bag it': Kaftans, trench coats, fluro brights, broderie anglais (err, what?!), brooches, cowboy boots (yea!), red and low-slung belts.

'Bin it': Bootleg trousers (!), bag charms, parka jackets, miniskirts, anything 80's, pointed shoes and midriff-baring tops.

ReputationRep:
    i'm sticking with the way i am and how i dress as an individual, though i may sneak in some military!

ReputationRep:
    I wish I had the money to change my wardrobe each season! :p: But yes, as above, some low-cost military may appear!

ReputationRep:
    Where's the look for hoody's?!

Other-all the clothes I currently wear plus anything new that catches my eye. I like knitted stuff-cardigans mainly so they will be worn a lot. Of course my new coat will form and essential part of my wardrobe. It is a lovely brown parka style thing. Ok so they may be on the way out but I like to buy a coat when I fall in love with it and wear it for years. I beame rather well known for a long brown and red coat from H&M that I wore for 4 winters in a row!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking a bit of a rock-chick vibe this winter, not exactly 'this season', I know. Black band t-shirts, black washed-out denim mini, opaque tights and some amaaaaazing boots from Schuh. Accessorised avec my skinny striped Topshop scarf. Oh yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by veryrandom)
    According to this copy of New Woman I have..

'Bag it': Kaftans, trench coats, fluro brights, broderie anglais (err, what?!), brooches, cowboy boots (yea!), red and low-slung belts.

'Bin it': Bootleg trousers (!), bag charms, parka jackets, miniskirts, anything 80's, pointed shoes and midriff-baring tops.
    i am not binning-bootleg trousers cuz i have big hips lol...or pointed shoes-they r classy and i dont like look of block heeled round toes

ReputationRep:
    I think New Woman is a bit weird... 80's is very now, in the form of puffball skirts (I know I keep ranting about them but they're just soooo good).

And what are we suppose to do with our bag charms?! I just cracked and bought one, a cute elephant I have named Robert. I can't bin Robert.

*sprays new woman with mace* ... but actually its quite a good magazine.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i think new woman is tlkin rubbish as sure if things werent in fashion why would shops sell them as part of their new stock!-and somethings never go out of fashion

ReputationRep:
    victoriana most definately the rest of those styles would never suit me also I usually wear victoriana/glamour style clothes anyway - but i love it when it comes in during autumn/winter because thats mostly when the creams and beiges and browns come into fashion xoxo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mata)
    Hmm... some of the larger topshops have a biba/bakelite look which is bright and chunky. Its not for everyone though, you have to be the right sort of person.

I got a great folk-y looking necklace for £3.33 from an Indian market stall which is great. Chunky and thick and not fussy, and would brighten up a black/white outfit. Maybe you could look for something like that? Yeah, so just simple stuff which is eyecatching, in bold colours and makes the outfit look like a fashion choice rather than just a black'n'white moment.

Then again, I'm also not sure... I tend to wear less jewellery with black and white because it makes enough of a statement on its own.
    I have one chunky necklace, thanks for the tip with the market! but like you, I'm just not sure. I think I'll just have to steal some of my sisters jewlry now that she's on holiday here for a week, and try it out with my stuff, hehehe. Get her opinion on it maybe.

ReputationRep:
    I think i'll go for flat ug-boot things, opaque tights, short skirt slightly flicked out, jacket blazer type, flat cap to one side and dangley or hoop earrings, probably with a stripey scarf to match............not sure what that look is, but i'm pretty sure its last seasons
    Although I find if you stay a season behind you can look individual, and yet people still recognise it as 'good fashion' -eh??!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mata)
    I think New Woman is a bit weird... 80's is very now, in the form of puffball skirts (I know I keep ranting about them but they're just soooo good).

And what are we suppose to do with our bag charms?! I just cracked and bought one, a cute elephant I have named Robert. I can't bin Robert.

*sprays new woman with mace* ... but actually its quite a good magazine.
    And according to an article in Elle magazine, cowboy boots aren't part of any look for a/w '05, so I haven't got a clue what New Woman is talking about! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ComebackQueen)
    i am not binning-bootleg trousers cuz i have big hips lol...or pointed shoes-they r classy and i dont like look of block heeled round toes
    I'm not either!!

It's so stupid when they say a cetain cut is 'so now' and everything is 'last season.' We can't all wear the same cut!

I intend to continue dressing according to the weather. If it's freezing then I intend to wear my chunky-knit jumpers whether they are in or not!

In answer to an earlier post, broderie anglais is a form of embroidery which is basically a pattern with holes that are embroidered around. So it's a little silly for an autumn / winter trend. Maybe early september, but any later and we'd freeze.

ReputationRep:
    I say charity shops/vintage all the way (go ebay, yay!!!). Please can we see an end to boho chic tho, hmm a law banning gypsy skirts possibly...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monkeylet)
    hmm a law banning gypsy skirts possibly...
    You'd think, but I have a feature from B magazine in which they are basically showing more colourful/patterned gypsy skirts (i.e. same/similar styles) and calling them 'Folk' skirts. There's actually a brown, floor-length gypsy skirt from Kookai that they're calling folk!

The fashion world is sucky and hypocritical. Why oh why do we love it so much.

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna go for.....*strokes beard* tomboy chic this season, complete with mud stains and knee grazes.

ReputationRep:
    I can't imagine me being able to pull any of those looks off to be honest.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.