The Student Room Group

Started out at 8 stone 6ft..My progress on SS

I thought I'd finally make a training log!

So I started in June 2009...weighing a TINY 8 stone at 6 foot..was NOT a good look at all! Hit out the diet over summer...joined the gym in December. Had to have a 2 month lay off because of exams and family problems but here's where I'm at.(I'm 18 btw :smile: )

June 2009 Weight: 8st 1 Height: 6ft
May 2010 Weight: 10 st 6 Height 6ft 1

Todays lifts:

Squat 47.5kg 3x5
Bench press 30kg 3x5
Deadlift 50kg 1x5

Daily diet:
Breakfast: Full bowl scottish oats, 3 egg scrambled on wholemeal bread, banana.
Lunch: 4x wholemeal turkey and ham sandwiches with salad, more fruitm 1 pint whole milk
Snack: Handful whole nuts, banana, 1/2 pint milk, cereal bar
Post workout: Whey shake
Dinner: Chicken breast with rice and sweet potato. (very large portion)
Pre bed: Cottage cheese on workout days, 1 pint milk.

Scroll to see replies

Whoa, that was an incredibly low start point, especially for someone over 6ft!

You've obviously done pretty well putting on weight and your diet looks fine, so just keep up the lifting and you'll get plenty stronger and bigger in no time.
well done. How old are you,may I ask?
By today lifts I assume thats what you can lift now? What did you start on a yr ago?
Reply 4
anotheregostar
well done. How old are you,may I ask?

18 :smile:
Chumbaniya
Whoa, that was an incredibly low start point, especially for someone over 6ft!

You've obviously done pretty well putting on weight and your diet looks fine, so just keep up the lifting and you'll get plenty stronger and bigger in no time.

Cheers..it was very hard to start with because at 8 stone I was barely eating anything. Going by on energy drinks and chocolate. I feel so much healthier about myself now, have much more confidence and am actually starting to look like a man rather than a 12 year old boy!

RedHotButter
By today lifts I assume thats what you can lift now? What did you start on a yr ago?

Started in December..couldn't do much with the bar but squat so just did bodyweight assistance exercises to build strength. & yes those lifts are my current working sets.
Reply 5
No wonder I can't get any milk when I head down to Tesco - you've already had it all! :smile:
I see, thats unfortunate hows your progress coming along now? Did you hit any stalls yet, you should have a lot of progress in you still. Whats your technique like on squat - how much do you know about it - it'll play a major role in overcoming problems/hurdles, the more you know the better.
Reply 7
Wow, very low starting point! Good job with getting in the gym and sorting it out, keep at it!
Reply 8
RedHotButter
I see, thats unfortunate hows your progress coming along now? Did you hit any stalls yet, you should have a lot of progress in you still. Whats your technique like on squat - how much do you know about it - it'll play a major role in overcoming problems/hurdles, the more you know the better.

Not too many stalls- stalling a bit on 50kg squat so went down to 45 and slowly coming back up again.

Should I be eating the full diet on workout days or 7 days a week?
Reply 9
Goodkat
Wow, very low starting point! Good job with getting in the gym and sorting it out, keep at it!

Cheers :smile:
At 10 stone 6 ish now I feel so much better about myself! Want to try and get bigger now.
Reply 10
I started at 8 stone 7 or something same height, now I'm jacked and tan.
well done OP! :smile:
also, ******' hell! 8 STONE !? i've never been that light ,even when i was young :frown: damn you op :biggrin:
Reply 12
Jennloves...
well done OP! :smile:
also, ******' hell! 8 STONE !? i've never been that light ,even when i was young :frown: damn you op :biggrin:

Reply 13
You must have been very skinny! No wonder you feel better, bet your energy levels are sky high compared to what they were.
mattx10

i bet you do!
Also since your lifts are almost exactly the same as mine,i shall give you moral support.I plan to re-start SS soon,and get strong :dumbells:
Reply 15
mattx10
Not too many stalls- stalling a bit on 50kg squat so went down to 45 and slowly coming back up again.

Should I be eating the full diet on workout days or 7 days a week?

7 Days a week, then more. OP, your lifts should have progressed a lot more in the past few months, are you really working hard in the gym? If so, Starting Strength isn't working for you.
Well done on the weight gain, but you need to be more daring with your lift increases, you should be adding weight after each workout that you've completed your 3x5. Good luck mate
Reply 17
Gone Revising
Well done on the weight gain, but you need to be more daring with your lift increases, you should be adding weight after each workout that you've completed your 3x5. Good luck mate

Cheers pal.

Todays workout:

Bit crap today. Still can't increase my squat I think there may be a form issue which I'll be looking into. OHP was so tough- could barely do the last rep of the last set. Rows were fairly easy though.

Squat 47.5 3x5
OHP 25 3x5
Bent over rows 30 3x5
It's usually either technique or confidence (or both) which holds you back on the squat early on - it's rare that someone actually is at the limit of their lower body strength that early. Get you form nailed and once you start feeling comfortable with a bar on your back they'll fly up.
Reply 19
Cheers Chumbaniya!

Todays lifts:
Squats 50 3x5
Bench 32.5 3x5
Deadlift 52.5 1x5

Finally seeing those lifts go up :biggrin: Today was good!

Latest