The Student Room Group

Most random way you've picked a college...

Whats the most random way you've picked a college??

I was considering writing college names on the backs of cards and then picking them, but I thought that was just boring.

But then again, if you've read my "I'm dreaming of Oxford" thread, I may just go with the sushi idea (If you haven't read it, i suggest you do - otherwise you'll just think im barmy!)

Any other anecdotes or ideas?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
narrow down your choice as much as possible, buy a bunch of the cheapest wallets you can get, put a pound or two in each wallet, put your contact information in the wallet along with the name of one of the colleges in each of them. Go around town and leave them behind places. the first wallet that someone finds and contacts you to return has the college you'll apply to inside it.
Play Pin The Donkey on a map of Cambridge/Oxford.
Reply 3
Pick two cards at random, choose between the colleges.

Or, just take the random advice of an internet stranger. Say, I'm telling you to go to Wadham. Maybe that's fate? Perhaps you should take that into account.
You could argue that the most random way to pick a college is to make an open application.
However, you will end up at Hildas if you're a girl.

Besides, if you apply to a big college the odds are you'll end up at Mansfield anyway.
Reply 5
You could always try the method one of my friends used for universities: looking at the websites, prospectuses (prospecti?) to see which had the most attractive people at it.
Reply 6
zoraster
You could always try the method one of my friends used for universities: looking at the websites, prospectuses (prospecti?) to see which had the most attractive people at it.

This guy in my class is doing that...prob is, he's an ugly git and doesn't stand a chance with the dumb blondes at Thames Valley University...
Reply 7
It's surprisingly interesting. Put me off St. Andrew's at least...
Reply 8
Poor Prince William...
Reply 9
I narrowed my choice down to two, and then went for the one whose student body looked like it had a sense of humour.
Reply 10
I made a chart ith each college and columns for vital information like 'Is it pretty?', 'How rich is the college?' and 'Do they have many formal dinners?' (as well as more important stuff like 'Do they offer my course'!) It wasn't random, but was excessive, and in the end I got it down to 2 and picked names from a hat at the last minute!
If you want to make a more serious decision (although random ways are just as good! :biggrin:), then why don't you say a bit about yourself and what you want in a college, and I'm sure people could suggest a college that best matches your preferences/personality?

As for my random ideas, you could get a massive velcro map of Oxford, and catapult yourself onto it - seeing which college you land nearest. :wink:
Reply 12
zoraster

That's not random, just shallow. :rolleyes: :p:
I went for the one who had nicest colours! :p:
Reply 14
Send an email to each college, see which responds first or last or 5th or never.

On a completely unrelated point, I've just watched BBC Weather and the bloke was wearing a TEESHIRT, NOT a suit :eek:
You need to get Ventricles on this thread. She's off to Wadham in October and was mainly narrowing down her college choices by who had the nicest rowing kits. When we were looking at oxford colleges on the computer at school I couldn't see the screen very well and said "ooh Wackem! That sounds interesting" (obviously misreading Wadham) and she then looked at it and we joked about it being "Wackem" for a while and she grew attatched and applied and got accepted. Ahhh nice story! I'm desperate for the "Wackem" thing to catch on.......x
zoraster

If he tried that he'd have to abandon Oxford all together and go to Leeds...Im still sure I wouldve met my husband to be if I'd gone there...
Reply 17
To choose between Oxford and Cambridge I just went for the one who sent the prospectus first...

Not all colleges have individual prospectuses, so I don't think you can do that.
Reply 18
Hey thanks for the brill ideas - TSR people are SO imaginative ! :biggrin:

Im going to go away and think of a superb plan which is practical yet random :proud: !

Ill post it later!

Cheers for everything

Dan :biggrin:
Reply 19
Name 20 or so cows with the colleges. Put them all in a field. Wait to see which one goes to the toilet first.

Latest

Trending

Trending