The Student Room Group
Liverpool John Moores University
Liverpool

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
To be honest I think Liverpool is an under-rated university. It is in the Russell Group because it spends a lot on research, has highly respected schools of medicine, dentistry, vet science and is very well thought of amongst employers. The university has had eight Nobel Prize Laureates along with many well respected alumni.
I get what you mean - I had similar feelings when I started there, but I have my dream professional job and did an Oxbridge masters, which I was inspired to do by the great teaching I had at Liverpool. My attitude when I started at university was that I didn't want to throw the chance away. There is nothing wrong in wanting to go to university to work hard; the truth of it is that Liverpool has a good social scene, but the course will be of a redbrick standard - just as difficult as a degree from anywhere else in the Russell Group. The town is nice; yes, it does have the odd rough part but that is what cities are like! London, Manchester and Birmingham will all be similar. I would warn you that the halls at Liverpool are a bit basic though. As for going out - there is something for everyone.
I wish you all the best with your degree. From first hand experience it is a fantastic university.
Liverpool
Reply 21
Johnblue
absolute ******** that Liverpool is a nice place; what would you expect club wise from a more or less central hub.

There is more knife & gun crime in London than liverpool, and the gun crime that there is is in the outskirts on the estates

but yeh the accent is ****

Could that be because the population of Liverpool is ~ 430,000 while the population of London is ~7,500,000...

Not the best city to compare it to is it really. :p:
Reply 22
Johnblue
if you want **** check out newcastle hull glascow burnley blackpool blackburn

should put things in perspective

As I divide my time 50/50 between Liverpool and Burnley (my hometown) I can honestly say that I massively prefer Liverpool, it's so much cleaner and I feel safe there actually. Don't get me wrong, there are rough parts, but I live by the theory that you don't get into trouble unless you go looking for it. :smile:
Reply 23
bigmo7
Could that be because the population of Liverpool is ~ 430,000 while the population of London is ~7,500,000...

Not the best city to compare it to is it really. :p:

**** you and your demographics

It ain't my fault London has been repopulated by every other country on the earth!!
Reply 24
Johnblue
**** you and your demographics

It ain't my fault London has been repopulated by every other country on the earth!!

No but you could at least compare it to a similar population city, then people wouldn't rip into your argument :h:
claret_n_blue
Whenever someone asks me what uni I have chosen to go to, and I say "Liverpool", they always reply with the same"Liverpool!? Why would you wanna go there?" They then go to tell me a whole load of stories about bad stuff that happens in Liverpool. I picked it because I liked the quick look I had of the city - although looking at the city whilst on the bus to the uni doesn't really give me a proper look, and because it is a Russell Group uni, and hence on of the best in the country. I didn't really think about night life, but I think it wasn't the best place to pick (for me), as I don't really want to be out partying and going to clubs, etc. I would prefer quiet nights out, or I would like to work in a bar or pub so I don't get drunk and waste my money, but earn some, whilst being in the thick of things.

Why did you pick Liverpool? When you go there, what are you looking forward to? What are you dreading?

:smile:

Hiya, just wanted to say - I haven't seen one person in this thread who actually lives in L'pool or goes to the uni! It's all 'I have this friend' or 'My friend knew someone...' blah blah.

Ignore these people they don't have a clue!
I've lived in Liverpool for 10 years and I go to the uni. Living in Halls is great because you'll either be in the City Centre (which is brilliant and there is so much to do) or you'll be living in Mossley Hill which is a nice area of Liverpool - near Penny Lane. The uni isn't situated anywhere dodgy and the places in L'pool that are dodgy are unimportant because as a student you will never go to them - they're housing estates further out of the city centre, you'll have no need to go there.

Like all major cities there are good places and bad places but as a student you won't have to experience the bad places. Again, like any major city there is a vibrant nightlife and with nightlife comes drinking - people do all sorts of crazyness when they're drunk in any city.
But again, what people you encounter will depend on what places you go to.

Experience it for yourself - visit Liverpool - don't let people who have never even driven through it tell you what it's like.

The uni is great btw, if you have any questions feel free to pm me :smile:.
Reply 26
Liverpool is an amazing city. I live and study here and it is immense. It has something for everyone, allowing for quiet nights in, to wild nights out. The Unis have a lot to offer in regards to societies and things do to. The city does too with many thing to do shopping, cinema, clubs and groups, night clubs, pubs and a hell of a lot more.

Of course live every city there are bad things that go on. Nothing you can do about it, **** happens everywhere.

You picked the Uni and you will 100% enjoy your time there. What halls are you going to?
Reply 27
Men get raped in one of the parks in Liverpool.
somethingbeautiful
Hiya, just wanted to say - I haven't seen one person in this thread who actually lives in L'pool or goes to the uni! It's all 'I have this friend' or 'My friend knew someone...' blah blah.

Ignore these people they don't have a clue!
I've lived in Liverpool for 10 years and I go to the uni. Living in Halls is great because you'll either be in the City Centre (which is brilliant and there is so much to do) or you'll be living in Mossley Hill which is a nice area of Liverpool - near Penny Lane. The uni isn't situated anywhere dodgy and the places in L'pool that are dodgy are unimportant because as a student you will never go to them - they're housing estates further out of the city centre, you'll have no need to go there.

Like all major cities there are good places and bad places but as a student you won't have to experience the bad places. Again, like any major city there is a vibrant nightlife and with nightlife comes drinking - people do all sorts of crazyness when they're drunk in any city.
But again, what people you encounter will depend on what places you go to.

Experience it for yourself - visit Liverpool - don't let people who have never even driven through it tell you what it's like.

The uni is great btw, if you have any questions feel free to pm me :smile:.

Lol I was waiting for your post :smile: As soon as I saw the Robbie Williams picture I thought "finally, someone who lives there". I don't want to sound to "cringey" but one of the reason's I applied to Liverpool was because of a lot of your responses in other threads about the city :smile:

There has been one person who commented and so far I think you are right. The people who go to the uni or live in Liverpool say similar things. Other people are just basing their arguments on hear-say.
Puma
Liverpool is an amazing city. I live and study here and it is immense. It has something for everyone, allowing for quiet nights in, to wild nights out. The Unis have a lot to offer in regards to societies and things do to. The city does too with many thing to do shopping, cinema, clubs and groups, night clubs, pubs and a hell of a lot more.

Of course live every city there are bad things that go on. Nothing you can do about it, **** happens everywhere.

You picked the Uni and you will 100% enjoy your time there. What halls are you going to?

I applied to Roscoe and Gladstone as my first choice, McNair as my second and Dale as my third. I decided to pick catered as I think it is more sociable and plus I think it will give me more of a structure to my day. I'm one of those people who doesn't like to waste a lot of money and so if I have paid to have breakfast at 8.00 in the morning I will get up and eat my breakfast at 8 in the morning :smile:

What about you? What are you studying?
Reply 30
I saw someone try to steal a bike in Liverpool. It was very amusing.
Reply 31
Well, I personally dislike Liverpool for reasons drawn from own experience (aka, not based on prejudice). It was one of my 5 options, but when I visited, the department I went to was shockingly bad:
-The students who showed us round weren't audible, didn't tell us about any of the buildings we passed (it took a student asking where the guild was to find out we'd just passed it), and when they did stop to say anything, didn't wait for everyone to be gathered round, so the people at the back didn't hear ANYTHING.
- The department wasn't organised- they let us all out of a talk, and dind't tell us here to go next, and were leading individuals away for interview. This left us standing in the entrance hall for 20 minutes without a clue where to go.
- The interviewer I had seemed bored and uninterested, and I just felt really awkward throughout the whole thing.
- Before even getting there, all of my correspondance with them was late. It took them 3 weeks to tell me that they;d made me an offer by e-mail (I actually noticed the day they put it on UCAS), and letters seemed to all take at least a month to get to me. It was as if they couldn't be bothered.

But it is different depending upon which department you go to. I was applying for a maths and physics course, and I think I was in the school of maths for this. My friend had a vey different experience- she was always kept up to date with what was happening, got a letter before the the offer went through UCAS telling her she'd be getting an offer, her interviewer seemed very keen and she felt very welcome. She eventually chose to go to Liverpool as her uni (physics), and is really enjoying it. (Admittedly I don't like how she's now going out so often she can get through her student loan within a few weeks and never has any money, when she never went out before, and has stopped doing so well at her studies, but I think that's more about her then the city)

So, my point is I think, that different people have different experiences, and opinions, and even if other people don't like it, it may be right for you. Even if other people tell you bad things, the experience you have will NOT be the same.
claret_n_blue
Lol I was waiting for your post :smile: As soon as I saw the Robbie Williams picture I thought "finally, someone who lives there". I don't want to sound to "cringey" but one of the reason's I applied to Liverpool was because of a lot of your responses in other threads about the city :smile:

There has been one person who commented and so far I think you are right. The people who go to the uni or live in Liverpool say similar things. Other people are just basing their arguments on hear-say.

:biggrin: Lol, I didn't realise that I posted that much about Liverpool (oops :biggrin:) but yes, I do have a lot of pride in the city so it sort of annoys me when people slander it for no good reason. I wasn't even born here but since moving here I've grown really fond of it and when I'm away I always refer to it as 'home'. It's one of those places that can surprise you and make you fall in love with it :p:.

There is literally something for everyone - both in regards to the city and the uni. I'm not a big party animal myself so the little quirky cafes, Grand Central, and places like St Georges Gardens/Abercromby Square are perfect hang outs with friends (especially because Abercromby square is directly infront of one of the Libraries so it's great to sit in the sun and revise - there's a lot of that going on right now due to exam season :biggrin: ). There's tons of societies to join and the guild is massive. Oh and the libraries are fantastic and the campus is all within walking distance of the city centre.

I don't have any regrets about choosing Liverpool - it's got such a great vibe and the uni itself is friendly and has great teaching :smile:. Glad I could help in some way anyway :wink:.
Reply 33
claret_n_blue
I applied to Roscoe and Gladstone as my first choice, McNair as my second and Dale as my third. I decided to pick catered as I think it is more sociable and plus I think it will give me more of a structure to my day. I'm one of those people who doesn't like to waste a lot of money and so if I have paid to have breakfast at 8.00 in the morning I will get up and eat my breakfast at 8 in the morning :smile:

What about you? What are you studying?

Roscoe and Gladstone is probably the best of the halls and are the most sociable. They have really good grounds and room and the bus stop is right outside leading straight to Uni.

Catered is a good idea as it means you will always be fed and have food even when your low on money. I would recommend for year two though you move out into a house or other student accommodation.

You will really enjoy your time there and the people in Liverpool are really friendly. You will be living right by a road called Smithdown Road, which is where a lot of students hang out and you will also be right near a huge park and a smaller park right facing your halls, excellent for summer.

Dale and McNair in my opinion are a little worse than Roscoe and Gladstone, they are a little more out the way (close to a bus stop though) and seem to be a little hidden.

Overall though, Liverpool is a great city, you have selected good halls where the atmosphere is very good and sociable. Enjoy.
claret_n_blue
Whenever someone asks me what uni I have chosen to go to, and I say "Liverpool", they always reply with the same"Liverpool!? Why would you wanna go there?" They then go to tell me a whole load of stories about bad stuff that happens in Liverpool. I picked it because I liked the quick look I had of the city - although looking at the city whilst on the bus to the uni doesn't really give me a proper look, and because it is a Russell Group uni, and hence on of the best in the country. I didn't really think about night life, but I think it wasn't the best place to pick (for me), as I don't really want to be out partying and going to clubs, etc. I would prefer quiet nights out, or I would like to work in a bar or pub so I don't get drunk and waste my money, but earn some, whilst being in the thick of things.

Why did you pick Liverpool? When you go there, what are you looking forward to? What are you dreading?

:smile:

I live quite nearby Liverpool and where the university is, your in the best part of the city! there's nothing to worry about at all, unless you go to the rough parts or Liverpool, which is the same for any other city really. it's a great university, i personally am not going to apply there because its too close to home, that's my only reason, because it has so much to offer and is on the top universities as its part of the Russell group. In general, I don't think you can go any uni where people ONLY have quiet nights in, because people have different interests and yes, Liverpool has a lot of clubs, but that's not all Liverpool is, Uni in general is what you make it, so if you want quiet nights in,= whilst still being in the thick of things then you CAN do it, and you will most probably find other people who want the same as you! So i wouldn't worry about what people say about Liverpool, its most likely outdated and stereotypical and no longer applies to Liverpool today :biggrin:
Hope this helps :biggrin:
Dnator
As in, she had a boyfriend before she went there, now she is a with a girl whom 99 % of people would swear was a guy. And she plays womens rugby now, which may as well be renamed to dykeball.

That's just unnecessarily homophobic and cruel
Reply 36
hunter'sdaughter
That's just unnecessarily homophobic and cruel

I don't really think you understand what homophobic means. Every womens rugby team I know is full of lesbians, and they are all usually fat as anything. I don't hate them because they like girls, I hate them because they are fat and slow and ruining the sport of rugby.
Dnator
a girl i know goes there who is now a dirty dyke, go figure

Homophobic: prejudiced against homosexual people
Dyke: (slang) offensive term for a lesbian

and i'm the one who doesn't know what homophobic is...
Reply 38
hunter'sdaughter
Homophobic: prejudiced against homosexual people
Dyke: (slang) offensive term for a lesbian

and i'm the one who doesn't know what homophobic is...

Well if you assume that me using an offensive word means I harbour prejudice against all lesbians then yes, although then you would have to apply that logic to calling a woman a cow (then would I be a misogynist?) or a short guy stumpy (am I then heightist). What I don't like is how she has changed her persona completely to fit in with the typical 'dyke' scene (i.e changing her hair colour, getting a girlfriend who looks like a guy, playing rugby) stereotype (and I use the term 'dyke' to mean a lesbian who feels the need to conform to a stereotype) . You are just too easily offended, though you clearly have good dictionary.com skills, for which I must applaud you.
Dnator
Well if you assume that me using an offensive word means I harbour prejudice against all lesbians then yes, although then you would have to apply that logic to calling a woman a cow (then would I be a misogynist?) or a short guy stumpy (am I then heightist). What I don't like is how she has changed her persona completely to fit in with the typical 'dyke' scene (i.e changing her hair colour, getting a girlfriend who looks like a guy, playing rugby) stereotype (and I use the term 'dyke' to mean a lesbian who feels the need to conform to a stereotype) are just too easily offended, though you clearly have good dictionary.com skills, for which I must applaud you.

Using an offensive term when referring to a certain group of people is discriminatory, discrimination is acting on a prejudice, therefore you were being homophobic using that word, its not that i'm easily offended (believe me i'm not) its just that i'm not unneccesarily rude about people unless forced otherwise. I really can't be bothered to keep posting about this though, agree to disagree?

Latest